Categories: Siblings of US Presidents.
February 14, 1760 -- Eleanor "Nelly" Conway Madison was born.
1783 -- Nelly Conway Madison and Major Isaac Hite married in Virginia.
Eleanor "Nelly" Conway Madison was a younger sister of James Madison, Jr., who would go on to become President.
After the wedding, the couple traveled directly in "a yellow chariot, with horses tandem, and mounted postilions" to their home at the "Old Hall" which was about four miles from Long Meadows, Frederick County, Virginia. Old Hall was a two-story wooden building said to be older than the first house at Long Meadows built by Isaac Hite Sr. in 1740.  Possibly, Old Hall was the first home built by Baron Heydt soon after his arrival in the Shenandoah Valley.
While the Major and his wife lived at Old Hall, they had the lavish home known as Belle Grove built at Port Conway, Midfletown, King George County, Virginia. Visitors to Belle Grove included Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, Jr., General Dabney H. Maury, General John Smith, and others."
Major Isaac and Nelly Conway Madison Hite had three children who lived to adulthood: two daughters (Nelly Conway and Frances Madison) and one son (James Madison). 
December 24, 1802 -- Nelly Conway Madison Hite died at Belle Grove, Port Conway, Middletown, King George County, Virginia. 
- The Dolley Madison Digital Edition. The Madison Family. Edited by Holly C. Shulman. Accessed by Michael Boynton on March 21, 2016 at 9:45 PM. 
- The Dolley Madison Digital Edition. James Madison's Nieces and Nephews. Edited by Holly C. Shulman. Accessed by Michael Boynton on March 21, 2016 at 9:55 PM. http://rotunda.upress.virginia.edu/dmde/editorialnote.xqy?note=all#n1
- Burke's Presidential Families of the United States of America, p.140.
- Shenandoah Valley Pioneers and Their Descendants by T. K. Cartmell 
- Louise Pecquet du Bellet, Edward Jaquelin, and Martha Cary Jaquelin.
Some Prominent Virginia Families. Volume IV. J. P. Bell Company, Inc.: Virginia. 1907. Accessed by Michael Boynton on March 22, 2016 at 7:00 AM. 
- Belle Grove Plantation, Port Coneay, Middletown, King George County, Virginia 
"I am a volunteer at Belle Grove Plantation near Middletown, Virginia. The information on this page is incomplete per our records there. Nelly died there at the home built by Major Isaac Hite, Jr. on the date you give. But she didn't die in Orange, VA. Also, they had three children in 1788, she had James Madison Hite who died at age three. In 1789, she had Nelly Conway Hite who died in 1830 and in 1793 another James Madison Hite was born and named in honor of his deceased older brother, this second one died in January 1860. She passed away there in her home on December 24 and is buried in the Hite family graveyard at nearby Long Meadow which was Isaac Hite, Sr.'s home. This information and more is available at the Hite's Belle Grove Plantation which I believe was named after her grandmother's place by a similar name. dated 4/20/14 by Doris (firstname.lastname@example.org)"
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with Nelly by comparing test results with other carriers of her mitochondrial DNA. However, there are no known mtDNA test-takers in her direct maternal line. It is likely that these autosomal DNA test-takers will share DNA with Nelly:
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
Images: 2 Collaboration
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.
Nelly is 18 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 22 degrees from Charlotte Brontë, 18 degrees from Bob Keniston, 16 degrees from Ben Kingsley and 14 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II Windsor on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.