- Probate: 14 Nov 1785 Will Probated, Mecklenburg County, Virginia
- In the name of God Amen. I John Marshall of Mucklenburg County being well and sound and perfect memory Thanks to almighty God and calling to Remembrance the uncertainty of human life have made this my last will and Testament in manner following I Give commit my soul the hands of my merciful creator hoping for remission of my sins through the Merits of my blessed redeemer Jesus Christ my body I leave to be buried at the discretion of my Executors hereafter named I (?) after my Just Debts are honestly paid
- Item: I Give unto my son Samuel Marshall and (sic) Negroe fellow named Cesar and one Negroe Boy named Daniel with my Bed and furniture, and gun with The rest of my household furniture with I am possessed with in the County of Muklenburg to him and his heirs forever after paying my Granddaughter Catharine Carter thirty pounds hard money and my Grandson Jrfsc (?) Carter Ten pounds hard money to him and their heirs forever
- Item: I give unto my son James Marshall and one Negroe wench named Daul and all her Children and their increase and one Negroe fellow named Joe and one Negroe Boy named Gorge and all the personal Estate that I possessed him with and money that he is owing to him and his heirs forever
- Item: I give unto my son Benjamin Marshall one Negroe wench named Eady and all her children that henis possessed with and there (sic) increase and all the personal Estate that I possessed him with and money that he is owing to me to him and his heirs forever
- Item: I lend unto Robert Nance and my Daughter Ann Nance one Negroe wench named Cate and her child Dick during either of their lives but after there (sic) decease I give them to my Daughter Ann Nance’s surviving Children Excepting Judeth Nance to them and there (sic) heirs forever
- Item: I give unto Robert Nance all the personal Estate that I possessed him with and money he owes me to him and his heirs forever
- Item: I give unto my Daughter Lucy Malone one iron pott (sic) and hook to her and her heirs forever
- Item: I give unto my Grandaughter (sic) Mary Ingram one Negroe wench named Sarah and all her children and increase to her and her heirs forever
- Item: I give unto my Granddaughter Betsy Hoopper one Negroe Girl named Philis and her increase to her and her heirs forever
- Item: I give unto Judeth Nance one Negro wench named Suk (?) and all her Increase to her and her heirs forever
- Item: If I have any more Estate not willed nor given away I give it to James Marshall, Benjamin Marshall and my Daughter Ann Nance to themand There (sic) heirs forever
- Lastly I nominate and appoint my Two sons Samuel Marshall and James Marshall Executors of this my last will and Testament and as trusties (sic) to see this will Executed hereby revoking and Disanuling (sic) all declaring this to be my last will and Testament. In Witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this Seventeenth daynof July one Thousand seven hundred and Eighty two. John Marshall (his mark)
- Signed sealed &
- Published before us
- John Arnoll
- William Pegram
- Elisha Arnoll
- At a court held for Muklenburg County the 14th day of Novemb. 1785
- This will was proved by the oaths of John Arnoll and Elisha Arnoll and witness thereto and Ordered to be recorded and on the Motion of Saml. Marshall the Executor therein named who made Oath thereto and together with Elisha Arnoll and John Arnoll his securities entered in and acknowledged their bond in the penalty of one thousand pounds conditioned as the Law directs certificate was granted him for obtaining a probate thereof in due form
- Teste John Brown Cl.Cuo (?)
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
There are no public comments yet.
Mary is 19 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 16 degrees from Joseph Broussard, 25 degrees from Helmut Jungschaffer and 15 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II Windsor on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.