- Vincent Mangano's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
Categories: Sicilian Immigrants to New York.
Note: There are at least two individuals in the vital records who might be Vincent Mangano, notorious Mafia boss of New York.
One of these claims is based on an immigration record, in which Vincenzo travels with fellow future Mafia boss, Joe Profaci. This immigration record is for the individual born in 1906 in New York. The other claim is that he was born in 1888.
That Vincent Mangano's police photo bears a striking resemblance to his 1920 passport photo. The police photo is no more than 17 years older (it's described as "pre war") than the passport photo. I believe it is of a man older than this one, who was born in 1906. Cascio-10 16:29, 12 April 2017 (EDT)
This Vincenzo Mangano is born 6 January 1906 in Manhattan to Gaetano Mangano, age 24 (b. 1881), and Giovanna Giannone, 25 (b. 1880), both born in Italy.
An individual claiming to be descended from a sister of Vincent calls the father, Gaetano, "Thomas" and names two other siblings, Aurora and Maria. This individual claims Thomas was also in the Mafia. It is a common Americanization of the name "Gaetano" to "Thomas." The nickname for Gaetano in Sicilian is "Tanu," which sounds a lot like Tommy. Tommy Lucchese is an example. Cascio-10 10:32, 12 April 2017 (EDT) The sisters named appear in a 1932 immigration record with their mother, Giovanna.
At least two sources indicate Joe Profaci immigrates from Sicily on 4 September 1921. One source names the ship, the SS Providence. Another source indicates he is traveling with future NYC Mafia boss Vincent Mangano, and Vincent's brother and father. A search on SteveMorse.org for a matching travel date finds the SS Providence departing Palermo on 24 August 1921 and arriving 4 September 1921 in New York. Appearing on the manifest are:
10. Gaetano Mangano, 39 (b. 1882), married, a merchant, leaves his wife Giovanna Giannone behind in Palermo. Destination NY, his brother in law Francesco Giannone, at 25 West Broadway (near World Trade Center site in Tribeca)
11. Vincent Mangano, son, 14 (b. 1907), student Dest NY as above. “Claims US born”. Giovanna Giannone is his mother.
12. Giuseppe Profaci, 24 (b. 1897), single, merchant, leaves his father, Giuseppe behind in Palermo. Dest NY, his cousin Calogero Profaci at 225 Elizabeth St (in lower Manhattan near Little Italy).
Phillip does not appear on this manifest. I have not found any records indicating Vincent has a brother named Philip. His mother's father's name is Filippo, and this would be the traditional name to give a second born son in Sicily.
Philip Mangano, who participates in organized crime with his brother, Vincent, has been positively identified through his WWI draft record with the other Vincent Mangano. Their mother's name is Serafina Simonetto.
- ↑ "New York, New York City Births, 1846-1909," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2W41-2KD : 20 March 2015), Gaetano Mangano in entry for Vincenzo Mangano, 06 Jan 1906; citing Manhattan, New York, New York, United States, reference cn 1886 New York Municipal Archives, New York; FHL microfilm 1,984,863.
- ↑ Thomas. firstname.lastname@example.org on 26 Jan 2008. In a thread at http://www.manganosearch.com/samsguestbooks.htm Accessed 11 April 2017.
- ↑ Capeci, Jerry. The Complete Idiot’s Guide to the Mafia. Penguin, 4 Jan 2005. P. 302.
- ↑ Giuseppe "Joe" Profaci. http://americanmafiahistory.com/giuseppe-joe-profaci/ Accessed 5 April 2017.
- ↑ Accessed via SteveMorse.org on 5 April 2017
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Vincent's ancestors' Y-chromosome or mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests and no close relatives have taken a 23andMe, AncestryDNA, or Family Tree DNA "Family Finder" test.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.