Laura was the second child among ten in her family. She died a few weeks before her 17th birthday of bronchial pneumonia.
Laura was still in school at age 16.
Her obituary noted that Laura had been suffering from asthma for more than two years prior to her death. "A few days ago she caught a severe cold, and the weakened condition of her throat and lungs allowed the cold to develop easily into pneumonia. She gradually grew weaker, unable to prevent the progress of the disease."
Her older sister Gertie had been working out of town to help support the family after the death of their father about one year earlier. A telegram was sent to call her home when it became clear that Laura might not survive, but she was able to arrive in time to see her sister before she died.
Laura is buried in the McGowan family plot in St. Francis Cemetery, Benson.
- ↑ "Minnesota, State Census, 1885," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-11580-171075-61?cc=1503044 : accessed 27 March 2015), Swift > Pillsbury > image 4 of 7; State Library and Records Service, St. Paul.
- ↑ "Minnesota, State Census, 1895," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-12332-167428-9?cc=1503031 : accessed 27 March 2015), Swift County > Benson village > image 3 of 28; State Library and Records Service, St. Paul.
- ↑ "United States Census, 1900," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-11601-65483-47?cc=1325221 : accessed 27 March 2015), Minnesota > Swift > ED 270 Benson village > image 19 of 31; citing NARA microfilm publication T623 (Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.).
- ↑ Swift County Monitor, February 22, 1901, n.p.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with Laura by comparing test results with other carriers of her ancestors' mitochondrial DNA. However, there are no known mtDNA test-takers in her direct maternal line. It is likely that these autosomal DNA test-takers will share DNA with Laura:
- Meg McGowan : Family Tree DNA Family Finder, GEDMatch T382961, FTDNA kit #N74405
- Sarah White : Family Tree DNA Family Finder, GEDMatch T866700, FTDNA kit #536349
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
Images: 1 Collaboration
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Meg McGowan, Brendan McGOWAN, and Marty McGowan. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.
Laura is 24 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 20 degrees from Stephen Hopkins, 31 degrees from Ben Kingsley, 28 degrees from David Selman and 28 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.