Lucy was the youngest of ten children of Patrick and Sarah Breen McGowan, born about a month after her father's death. Her name appears to have been registered incorrectly at birth as Louisa. (All other references, including the family bible recorded by her mother list her name as Lucy Catherine.)
Lucy grew up and attended school in Benson, Minnesota, until the age of 14, when her brothers bought the newspaper in Appleton, Minnesota. Lucy and her mother and brothers moved to Appleton, where she attended Appleton High School. During World War I, as her brothers entered military service, Lucy joined other young people in supporting the war effort and was named to the executive committee of the Appleton Junior Council of Defense. Later that year, as a scholastic honors graduate, Lucy gave one of the student orations at graduation ceremonies, "call[ing] the attention of the boys and girls to what wonderful opportunities this age held out to them and what a responsibility rests upon all of them all." 
Lucy taught school in Danvers, Minnesota for one year following high school graduation. School was suspended for a few weeks in November-December 1918 due to the influenza epidemic, but resumed in late December.
She entered nurses training at Saint Joseph's Hospital in St. Paul, Minnesota, in 1919. She dropped out of the course in February 1920 due to her health. She suffered from heart and kidney trouble and died at age 20 in Rest Hospital in Minneapolis.
- ↑ "United States Census, 1900," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M9Q9-8PW : accessed 6 January 2016), Lucy Mcgowan in household of Lara Mc Gowan, Benson village, Swift, Minnesota, United States; citing sheet 10B, family 173, NARA microfilm publication T623 (Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.); FHL microfilm 1,240,793.
- ↑ Minnesota Birth Certificate Date: 8 Jan 1900 Place: Benson, Swift Co., MN File Number: 25989
- ↑ "Minnesota State Census, 1905," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SPQ6-WH1 : accessed 6 January 2016), Lucy C Mcgowan, Benson, Swift, Minnesota; citing p. 141, line 30, State Library and Records Service, St.Paul; FHL microfilm 928,818.
- ↑ "United States Census, 1910," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M2PQ-8TM : accessed 6 January 2016), Lucie C Mcgowan in household of Sarah Mcgowan, Benson Ward 2, Swift, Minnesota, United States; citing enumeration district (ED) ED 157, sheet 12B, NARA microfilm publication T624 (Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.); FHL microfilm 1,374,729.
- ↑ "Sixty Young People of Appleton Organize a Liberty League," The Appleton Press, April 19, 1918, p. 1, col. 5.
- ↑ "Graduation Exercises of 1918 Class in Accord With War-Times," The Appleton Press, Jun 7, 1918, p. 1, col. 4.
- ↑ The Appleton Press, September 28, 1918, p. 5, col.
- ↑ The Appleton Press, December 27, 1918, p.6, col. 2.
- ↑ "Lucy Catherine McGowan, Former Well Known Benson Girl Dies in Minneapolis," Swift County Review, April 22, 1920, p. 1
- ↑ Lucy Catherine McGowan at Find A Grave.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with Lucy by comparing test results with other carriers of her ancestors' mitochondrial DNA. However, there are no known mtDNA test-takers in her direct maternal line. It is likely that these autosomal DNA test-takers will share DNA with Lucy:
- Meg McGowan : Family Tree DNA Family Finder, GEDMatch T382961, FTDNA kit #N74405
- Sarah White : Family Tree DNA Family Finder, GEDMatch T866700, FTDNA kit #536349
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
Images: 2 Collaboration
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Meg McGowan, Brendan McGOWAN, and Marty McGowan. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.
Lucy is 24 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 20 degrees from Stephen Hopkins, 31 degrees from Ben Kingsley, 28 degrees from David Selman and 28 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.