- Robert Mercer Sr's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
Robert Mercer AKA Marcer
Robert was born either 17 October, 1703 at St. Stephens Parish, also known as North Sassafras Parish, Cecil County, Maryland. His parents were Thomas Mercer and Elizabeth Unknown. According to Alice Cates, Robert's mother was Elizabeth (Barnes) Magregory, the widow of Hugh Magregory (no source is included). Gary Roberts agrees that Robert's father was Thomas, born c. 1663, died post February 1733/4, married c. 1702 to Elizabeth Barnes, but he lists Robert's birth date as 17 October 1703.
Could Mercer-124 or Mercer-172 be the father of Robert? Is it possible that father Thomas was married twice?
Alternate birth date is 19 December 1696
- Robert Mercer son of Thomas Mercer and Elizabeth his wife was baptized the 5th day of Dec 1697 by Mr. Rich Sewell.
Note: According to Jeanne F. Clark, the correct birth date for Robert is 17 October, 1703, and the earlier date may have been for a child who died in infancy.
Mary Mercer, who married James Veazey, may have been a sister or half-sister of Robert.
Robert married twice.
- He married 01 Aug 1727 at Saint Stephens Parish, Cecil, Maryland 1) to Ann Mounce, daughter of Christopher Mounce and Martha. born 9 Jan 1702.
- He married 2) to Ann Bolton, who died in 1792.
Children of Robert and Ann Mounce included their three sons: Thomas, Robert and James:
Possible additional child of Robert and Ann Mounce: Ann mar Thomas Ward Caulk.
Children of Robert and Ann Bolton:
St. Stephens Parish "North Sassafras Parish"
Death and Legacy
- [Roger Hughes article titled "Records show the Walker branch of President George W. Bush?s family, which settled in central Illinois, included slave owners.
- " http://www.illinoistimes.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A6367]
- ? Robert and Ann (Bolton) Mercer owned slaves.
- They were fifth great-grandparents of the president and great-grandparents of Bloomington?s Judge David Davis, who helped put Abraham Lincoln in the White House.
- In 1790, there was an Ann Mercer in Cecil County at the West Sassafras Hundred election district. She headed a household of one free white male age 16 or over, one free white male under 16, two free white females, and five slaves. Mercer had been widowed for about two decades.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Maryland, Births and Christenings, 1650-1995, index, FamilySearch (accessed 21 Aug 2014), Robert Mercer, 19 Dec 1696; citing SAINT STEPHENS PARISH,CECIL,MARYLAND; FHL microfilm 13887.
- ↑ Cates, Alice, "Re: Robert Mercer/b,1697+Ann Mounce/Cecil CO", Rootsweb post August 22, 1999, accessed August 22, 2014
- ↑ Roberts, Gary B., "The 2004 Election Year Continued: Further Additions and (a few) Corrections to Ancestors of American Presidents", New England Ancestors. (Vol 5.5 2004, Page 42), Boston, MA: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2000-2009. (Online database accessed December 17, 2014. AmericanAncestors.org. New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2009.)
- ↑ Walker, Rosa K., and H. D. Pittman, editor, Americans of Gentle Birth and Their Ancestors (Pages 314-16) Saint Louis: Buxton & Skinner, 1903, accessed December 17, 2014
- ↑ Parish register, 1695-1817, St. Stephen's North Sassafrash Parish. Microreproduction of original at the Presbyterian Historical Society. Salt Lake City, Utah. Call #441446 item 1, p.170
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Clark, Jeanne F., "Re: Robert Mercer/b,1697+Ann Mounce/Cecil CO", Rootsweb post August 22, 1999, Web accessed August 21, 2014
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 7.3 Walker, Rosa K., and H. D. Pittman, editor, Americans of Gentle Birth and Their Ancestors (Pages 314-16) Saint Louis: Buxton & Skinner, 1903
- ↑ Maryland, Marriages, 1666-1970, index, FamilySearch (accessed 20 Aug 2014), Robt. Mercer and Ann Mounce, 01 Aug 1727; citing Saint Stephens Parish,Cecil,Maryland, reference ; FHL microfilm 13887.
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 Reitwiesner, William A., compiler, "Ancestry of George W. Bush", Web accessed August 21, 2014
- ↑ Cates, Alice, "Davis: Ann Mercer", Rootsweb post November 8, 2001, Web accessed August 21, 2014
- Rubincam, Milton, "Identity of Helena "Merces" Mercer" The American Genealogist. (Page 204) New Haven, CT: D. L. Jacobus, 1937-. (Online database. AmericanAncestors.org. New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2009 - .) accessed August 21, 2014
See the Changes page for the details of contributions and edits.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with Robert by comparing test results with other carriers of his Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA. However, there are no known yDNA or mtDNA test-takers in his direct paternal or maternal line. It is likely that these autosomal DNA test-takers will share DNA with Robert:
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Cynthia B and Jenny Redo. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.
Robert is 18 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 17 degrees from Abraham Lincoln, 25 degrees from Ayn Rand, 21 degrees from Peter Roberts and 22 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.