Interred at Evergreen Cemetery, Gettysburg, Adams County, PA .
Text of obituary :
"Dr. George Reich (Bowley) Miller, 57, Gettysburg R.2, Sahm professor of physics at Gettysburg College where he had been a member of the faculty since his graduation there in 1919, died this morning at 8:40 o'clock in the Warner Hospital where he had been admitted as a patient Sunday.
"Death followed an illness of six weeks.
"Dr. Miller was a native of Harrisburg, where he was born on May 20, 1895, a son of Edward Allen and Gertrude Reich Miller of Harrisburg. He attended the Forney grade school in Harrisburg and graduated at the Harrisburg Technical High School in 1915.
"He received his B.S. degree at Gettysburg College in 1919, and his M.S. from the same institution in 1921. While in college he was a student assistant under Dr. Lewis A. Parson in the physics department. In 1931 he received a Ph.D. degree at the University of Michigan, and in 1934 became head of the Physics Department at Gettysburg.
"Dr. Miller began teaching physics at Gettysburg College in September, 1919, and as Sahm professor of physics at the college was in his 34th year at the time of his death, the oldest member of the faculty in tenure and active teaching.
"He served his country for nine months during World War I. For many years he was merit badge counselor for the Boy Scouts in electricity and astronomy, and lectured to various groups over the past several years on such subjects as “The Atomic Bomb”; “Nuclear Energy” and “The Cosmology of Galactic and Extra-Galactic Universes.”
"He was a member of several organizations, among them the following: Pennsylvania Conference of College Physics Teachers; American Physical Society; instructor, School of Instruction, RAM; Pennsylvania Epsilon Chapter of Phi Kappa Psi social fraternity; Pennsylvania Iota Chapter of Phi Beta Kappa scholastic fraternity and Michigan chapter of the Society of the Sigma Xi, graduate honorary scientific fraternity.
"He was a member of Christ Lutheran Church of Gettysburg.
"Dr. Miller was a member of Good Samaritan Lodge No. 336 of the Masons and was its past master in 1950. He belonged to the Royal Arch Chapter No. 266 and was its high priest in 1935 and belonged to Gettysburg Commandery No. 79 of the Knights Templer which he served as commander in 1937. He belonged to the Shrine of Harrisburg and the Consistory of the same city. He was also a member of the Red Cross of Constantine of Harrisburg and of the Council of Royal and Selected Masters of Pennsylvania.
"He was president of the Greenmount Fire Company.
"In addition to his parents, Dr. Miller is survived by his wife, the former Nell Kelly. They were married June 9, 1921. A son, G. Thomas Miller, Harrisburg, and a grandchild, [living survivor deleted], survive as does one sister, Miss Mary G. Miller, New Cumberland.
"Funeral services at the Bender Funeral Home Saturday morning at 10:30 o'clock with his former pastor, the Rev. Wallace E. Fisher of Lancaster, officiating. Interment will be made in Evergreen Cemetery.
"Friends may call at the Bender Funeral Home Friday evening after 7 o'clock.
"Please omit flowers."
2. [N01] Gettysburg (PA) Times, Wednesday 25 Feb 1953, p1 (with photo).
3. [D09] U.S. World War II Draft Registration Card (George Reich Miller), 27 Apr 1942, Local Board 2, Lycoming County, 14 South Main Street, Montgomery, PA, S/N 106. Age 46, born 20 May 1895, Harrisburg, PA. Residence, 1 West Street, Gettysburg, PA. Telephone 194W. Contact, Gettysburg College, Gettysburg, PA. Employer, Same. Race, white. Height, 5'8. Weight, 140. Eyes, hazel. Hair, gray. Complexion, ruddy. No distinguishing physical characteristics. (Accessed 16 Jun 2014.)
4. [D01] U.S. 1940 Census (George Miller). Residence, Ward 2, Gettysburg Borough, Adams County, PA. Age 44, married, born PA. Completed 5 years of college. Occupation, Professor Physics (College). Head of household with wife Nellie (46) and son George T. Miller (17). Residence 01 Apr 1935, Same Place. (Enumeration date not shown. Accessed 15 Jun 2014.)
5. [D01] U.S. 1930 Census (George R. Miller). Residence, Ward 6, Ann Arbor, Washtenaw County, MI, 1309 Washtenaw Avenue. Age 34, married, born PA, father born PA, mother born PA. Able to read and write, Yes. Occupation, None. Head of household with wife Nell K. (36), son George T. Miller (7), and two female lodgers (27, 26). (Enumerated 26 Apr 1930. Accessed 15 Jun 2014.)
6. [D07] Pennsylvania, County Marriages, 1885 - 1950. Marriage of George R. Miller, age 26, son of Edward A. Miller and Gertrude Reich, 09 Jun 1921, Fayetteville, Franklin County, PA, by Chester S. Simonton, Minister of the Gospel. Place of birth, Harrisburg, PA. Residence, Gettysburg, PA. Occupation, Teacher. No previous marriage. (Accessed 16 Jun 2014.)
7. [D01] U.S. 1920 Census (George R. Miller). Residence, Harrisburg, Precinct 9, Dauphin County, PA 1837 Market Street. Age 24, single, born PA, father born PA, mother born PA. Able to read, Yes. Able to write, Yes. Occupation, Teacher (College). In household of parents Edward A. (43) and Gertie Miller (43), with brother Charles E. (26), sister Mary G. Miller (14), and grandmother Susan Reich (65). (Enumerated 02 Jan 1920. Accessed 16 Jun 2014.)
8. [D14] U.S. World War I Draft Registration Card (George Reich Miller), 05 Jun 1917, Harrisburg, PA, 9th Ward. Home address, 1837 Market, Harrisburg, PA. Age 22, born 20 May 1895, Harrisburg, PA, USA. Natural-born citizen, Caucasian. Occupation, College Student. Single, no dependents. Height, medium. Build, medium. Gray eyes, dark brown hair, no disability. (Accessed 16 Jun 2014.)
9. [D01] U.S. 1910 Census (George R. Miller). Residence, Harrisburg, Ward 9, Dauphin County, PA, 1837 Market Street. Age 15, single, born PA, father born PA, mother born PA. Able to read, Yes. Able to write, Yes. Occupation, None. In household of parents Edward A. (34) and Gertie Miller (34), with brother Charles E. (16) and sister Mary G. Miller (4). (Enumerated 21 Apr 1910. Accessed 16 Jun 2014.)
10. [D01] U.S. 1900 Census (George Miller). Residence, Harrisburg, Ward 9, 5th Precinct, Dauphin County, PA, 1429 Zarker Street. Age 5, single, born PA (May 1895), father born PA, mother born PA. In household of parents Edward A. (24) and Gertie Miller (24), with brother Charles E. Miller (6). (Enumerated 04 Jun 1900. Accessed 16 Jun 2014.)
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Ancestry DNA.
George is 23 degrees from Claude Monet, 24 degrees from Gigi Tanksley and 21 degrees from Victoria of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.