'Birth: Magdalena was born about 1817 in Pennsylvania. She may have been born as Maria Magdalena or Mary Magdalena, and her last name may have been spelled Mieler, not Miller.
Married Jacob Clemens about 1837.
1850 Census: "Magdalena Clemens," 33, was living in Swatara Township, Lebanon County, Pennsylvania with her husband Jacob, 37, and children Adam, 9, George, 5, Sarah, 3, Lydia Ann, 2, and Rebecca, 6/12. A Catharine Clemens, 79, was also living there - likely either Jacob's mother or aunt. Eldest son Jacob, 11, was listed next door. She was listed born in Pennsylvania.
1860 Census: "Magd Clemens," 40, was living in Harrison Township, Wayne County, Indiana with her children Jacob, 21, Ann, 19, Adam, 16, George, 14, Sarah, 13, Lydia, 11, Rebecca, 10, and Sabina, 8. She was listed as a widow, personal estate valued at $600, born in Pennsylvania.
I have been unable to find anything about Magdalena after she appears widowed in the 1860 census, living in Harrison Township, Wayne County, Indiana with children Jacob, Ann, Adam, George, Sarah, Lydia, Rebecca, and Sabina.
I have found no trace of a further marriage or death.
In the 1880 Census, a Magdalena Crist, born in Pennsylvania, of the same age as this Magdalena is living near her daughter Sarah. It's possible that this is our Magdalena, but it's based completely on speculation and should not be taken as fact until a marriage or death record appears that can corroborate this information.
In the death records of her children, the following is reported:
In the death certificate of Sarah Jane Ervin (1901), her parents are listed as Jacob Clemens, born in Penn, and Magdalena Miller, born in Penn.
In the death certificate of John Adam Clemens (1920), his parents are listed as Jacob Clemens, born in the US, and Mary M. Miller, born in the US.
In the death certificate of Lydia E. Clemens (1931), her parents are listed as Jacob Clemens, born in Penna, and Mary M. Mieler, born in Penna.
In the death certificate of Rebecca Cleckner (1933), her parents are listed as Jacob Clemens, born in Pa, and Mary Miller, born in Pa.
In the death certificate of Sabina Porter (1929), her parents are listed as Jacob Clemens, born in Pa, and Mary, born in Pa.
1. Jacob W. Clemens: Jacob was born March 17, 1839 in Lebanon County, Pennsylvania. He married Catherine Fetters on September 10, 1865 in Wayne County. They had one son, Albert Monroe (1868). Between 1880 and 1900, Jacob and his family moved to Waterloo, Oregon. Later they settled in Chemawa. He was a farmer and rancher and died in Chemawa on July 27, 1913, age 74.
2. Rosina Clemens: Rosina, who went by Rose, Rose Ann, Rosanna, or Ann, was born November 7, 1840 in Lebanon County, Pennsylvania. She came with her family to Wayne County, Indiana and there married Arthur Thomas Benbow on January 20, 1866. They had five children: Mary Eliza (1868), Charles M. (1870), Arthur Franklin (1872), Thomas Jefferson (1878), and Jacob Knode (1881). She died in Hagerstown on May 21, 1886, age 45.
3. John Adam Clemens: John was born August 17, 1842 in Lebanon County, Pennsylvania. He served in the Civil War, Regiment 90 Company C (5th Cavalry) from 1862-1865. He was a farmer and married Elizabeth Bagerhuff about 1887. They had two daughters, Ada Agnes (1886) and Olive F. (1889). He may have had a son, George W. (1867), from a previous relationship unknown. He died in Peru, same county, on May 31, 1920, age 77.
4. George Washington Clemens: George was born September 22, 1846 in Lebanon County. After moving to Indiana with his family, he married Alice Rosey in the late 1860s. They had four children: Olive F. (1870), William (1872), Pearl (1877), and Charles Albert (1885). He moved to Miami County and died there in Bunkerhill on March 27, 1931, age 84.
5. Sarah Jane Clemens: Sarah was born April 28, 1847 in Lebanon County. She moved to Indiana as a child with her family and married Abraham Ervin on June 15, 1865. They had seven daughters: Emma Catherine (1867), Clara May (1869), Josephine Elin (1870), Capitola (1872), Pearl Jane (1876), Florence E. (1884), Gold Merle (1888). She died in Cambridge City on June 4, 1901, age 54.
6. Lydia Ann Clemens: Lydia was born in October 1848 in Lebanon County. She never married and eventually moved to Indianapolis. She was also seen as Lydia E., not Lydia Ann. She died in Indianapolis on January 27, 1931, age 82.
7. Rebecca Clemens: Rebecca was born March 10, 1850 in Lebanon County. She moved to Indiana with her family when she was very young, and married Charles Cleckner about 1873. They had two daughters, Pearl Viola (1873) and Nellie (1879). She died May 15, 1933 in Warren, Indiana.
8. Sabina Clemens: Sabina was born July 22, 1852 in Indiana and married Knode D. Porter on April 1, 1875. They had two daughters, Maude (1876) and Catharine (1879). They moved to Henry County and she died in Newcastle on July 29, 1929, age 77.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Ancestry DNA.
Magdalena is 23 degrees from SJ Baty, 23 degrees from Orville Redenbacher and 22 degrees from Victoria of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.