Categories: Notables | Wild Wild West Project | Famous Actors of the 20th Century | Academy Award Winners of the 20th Century | Hollywood Walk of Fame | Congressional Gold Medal | Presidential Medal of Freedom | This Day In History May 26 | This Day In History June 11.
||John (Morrison) Wayne was involved in the westward expansion of the USA.|
Join: Wild Wild West Project
Discuss: Wild West Wild Wild West
Marion Robert Morrison was born 26 May 1907 in Winterset, Iowa, to parents Clyde Leonard Morrison and Mary Alberta Brown. An interesting tidbit about Marion's middle name is that his parents changed it to Mitchell upon deciding that they wanted to name their next son Robert.
The world knows Marion better as John Wayne, the famous actor, director and producer. John also carried the nickname "Duke" with him throughout his life, a nickname that stemmed from his childhood, given to him by a local fireman he passed every day on his way to school who called him "Little Duke" because he never went anywhere without his large Airedale Terrier named Duke.
John was four years old when his family moved from Winterset, Iowa to Los Angeles. Later, after losing a football scholarship due to an injury from a bodysurfing accident, he was able to get a jobs at local film studios. He played small bits for awhile until his first leading role came in the 1930 movie The Big Trail. From there John would go on to star in 142 films, primarily Western movies. Perhaps his best films are The Quiet Man and True Grit.
Academy Award winner John Wayne was among the top box-office draws for three decades. The actor was the epitome of rugged masculinity and easily distinguishable by his demeanor, his calm voice, his walk and his height (6 ft 4 inches).
John Wayne died on 11 June 1979 after a battle with stomach cancer. He requested that his tombstone read "Feo, Fuerte y Formal", a Spanish epitaph Wayne described as meaning "ugly, strong, and dignified". The tombstone went unmarked for 20 years but it now bears this quote from his controversial 1971 Playboy interview: "Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday."
In June 1999, the American Film Institute named him the 13th Greatest Male Screen Legend of All Time.
- "Iowa, County Births, 1880-1935," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VJPG-ZWP : accessed 11 Jun 2014), Marion Robert Morrison, 26 May 1907; citing , Winterset, Madison, Iowa, United States; FHL microfilm 1028195.
- "Iowa, Births and Christenings, 1830-1950," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XV4N-PNP : accessed 11 Jun 2014), Marion Robert Morrison, ; citing Winterset, Iowa; FHL microfilm 1682887.
- US Federal Census; Year: 1910; Census Place: Madison, Madison, Iowa; Roll: T624_412; Page: 2B; Enumeration District: 0031; FHL microfilm: 1374425. (Ancestry.com link)
- Ancestry.com. California, Death Index, 1940-1997 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2000. (Ancestry.com link)
- This WikiTree profile is referenced from WikiData: Q40531 Wikidata Information Reasonator enwiki Ancestors (about wikidata)
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of John's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests and no close relatives have taken a 23andMe, AncestryDNA, or Family Tree DNA "Family Finder" test.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
Images: 4 Collaboration
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On 26 Jan 2016 at 17:25 GMT Debby (Barton) Black wrote:
John is 20 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 16 degrees from Stephen Hopkins, 25 degrees from Ben Kingsley, 23 degrees from David Selman and 22 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.