- Margaret (Mowbray) Lucy's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
- Note: From soc.genealogy.medieval:
- Dear Newsgroup ~
- The immigrants Robert Abell, Richard More of the Mayflower and Rev. John Oxenbridge are lineal descendants of Reginald Lucy, died 1437, of Dallington, co. Northampton, and his wife, Margaret. Until now, Margaret Lucy's identity and parentage have been unknown. However, recently I came across this couple's marriage license in an obscure episcopal register:
- "Kal. Jul. [1 July] 1369. At Heywod. To Reginald de Lucy, son of Sir Geoffrey de Lucy, and Margaret, daughter of Sir John de Moubrey, to be married in the chapel within Bretteby [Bretby] Castle [co. Derby]" [Reference: Lichfield Episcopal Registers, Register of [Bishop] Robert de Stretton, published in William Salt Archaeological Society, n.s., 8 (1905): 47].
- As indicated by the license quoted above, the bride's name was Margaret Mowbray, daughter of Sir John de Mowbray. Due to the name, chronology and place of marriage, Margaret Mowbray can be readily identified as a hitherto unknown daughter of Sir John de Mowbray, 4th Lord Mowbray, by his wife, Elizabeth, daughter and heiress of John de Segrave, 4th Lord Segrave, of Bretby Castle, co. Derby.
- In this case, the place of marriage is significant as Bretby Castle was one of the holdings of the Segrave family and fell to Mowbray family on the marriage of Elizabeth Segrave to John de Mowbray, 4th Lord Mowbray. This was presumably one of the Segrave family's principal residences, as Elizabeth's father, John de Segrave, prepared his will in 1352 at Bretby [Reference: Complete Peerage, 11 (1949): 609]. I assume this license was missed by Lucy and Mowbray researchers as the Lucy family was seated principally at Northampton, whereas the Mowbray family's chief holdings were in cos. Lincoln and York. One would not expect to look in Derbyshire for a marriage license for this couple.
- The newly discovered Margaret Mowbray gives the immigrants, Robert Abell, Richard More and John Oxenbridge an all new descent from King Edward I plus many other interesting connections. For newsgroup interest, I have prepared the descent down to Robert Abell. For fuller particulars of the Lucy and allied families, please see the forthcoming 3rd edition of Plantagenet Ancestry.
- Best always, Douglas Richardson, Salt Lake City, Utah
- Birth: say ca 1360
- Birth: ABT 1361, Epworth, Isle Of Axholme, Lincolnshire, England
- Place: Of, NFK, England
- Date: DEC
- SDATE 15 DEC 1900
Could not interpret date in Death Date (DEC).
- Death: bet 19 Nov 1393 & 11 Jul 1401
No more info is currently available for Margaret Mowbray. Can you add to her biography?
- Magna Carta Ancestry 2011 2nd ed. Vol. III p. 64
- See also:
- Source: S301 Complete Peerage of England Scotland Ireland Great Britain and the United Kingdom, by G. E Cokayne, Sutton Publishing Ltd, 2000 Page: VIII:261
- Source: S630 Newsgroup, soc.genalogy.medieval, google.com Reference: 26 May 2003 Douglas Richardson
- Source: S648 Eileen McKinnon-Suggs (firstname.lastname@example.org), Our Kingdom Come (http://awtc.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=emsuggs&id=I39737 Last updated October 10, 2004 Accessed December 2, 2005)
- Source: S818 The Magna Charta Sureties 1215, Frederick Lewis Weis, additions by Walter Lee Sheppard Jr, 5th Edition, 1999
- Source: S-1938396353 Repository: #R-1938398764 Ancestry Family Trees, Publication: Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com. Original data: Family Tree files submitted by Ancestry members. Ancestry Family Trees Text: http://trees.ancestry.com/pt/AMTCitationRedir.aspx?tid=26867133&pid=2038
- Repository: R-1938398764 Name: Ancestry.com Address: http://www.Ancestry.com
- Source: S2 Pedigree Resource File CD 49, Publication: (Salt Lake City, UT: Intellectual Reserve, Inc., 2002)
- Source: S3 Ancestral File (TM) Author: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day SAINTS Publication: June 1998 (c), data as of 5 JAN 1998
- Source: S3485 Ancestral File Number, 18J9-JTD
- WikiTree profile Mowbray-101 created through the import of Lupton file.ged on Jul 8, 2011 by Kim Ostermyer. See the Changes page for the details of edits by Kim and others.
- Travis Wagner, firsthand knowledge. Click the Changes tab for the details of edits by Travis and others.
- WikiTree profile DeMowbray-14 created through the import of Travis Family Tree.ged on Jun 22, 2011 by Roger Travis. See the Changes page for the details of edits by Roger and others.
- WikiTree profile De MOWBRAY-83 created through the import of FAMILY 6162011.GED on Jun 20, 2011 by Michael Stephenson. See the MOWBRAY-83 Changes page for the details of edits by Michael and others.
- This profile was created through the import of Acrossthepond.ged on 21 February 2011.
- Source: S4 Title: hofundssonAnces.ged Abbreviation: hofundssonAnces.ged Repository: #R1
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Margaret's mitochondrial DNA have taken an mtDNA test.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Katherine Patterson, Roger Travis, and Kim Ostermyer. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.
Margaret is 20 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 17 degrees from Abraham Lincoln, 23 degrees from Ayn Rand, 22 degrees from Peter Roberts and 17 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.