|Chief of Chota Moytoy I was a Native American and member of the Cherokee tribe.|
|If you are interested in this profile,
please check out the Native Americans Project!
- Amahetai, Water Conjurer, Ama Matai Water Rainmaker, Water Beaver, Amadohivi, Amoadawehi, Moytoy of Tainesi
Amatoya, Chief of Chota married Que-Di-Si of the Wolf Clan round 1680. Cherokee were required to marry outside their clan. Their clan was considered to be the clan of the mother.
These are the known children of Amatoya, Chief of Chota and Que-Di-Si of the Wolf Clan:
- Nancy Moyoy
- White Owl Raven (Carpenter)
- Ama-edohi M. Moytoy, "Pigeon of Tellico"
- Kanagatoga Moytoy, "Old Hop"
Legend has it that Amatoya was taught by his father to “witch” for water with a willow stick. He had become so adept at water witching that the Cherokee called him "water conjurer" or Ama Matai (Ama is Cherokee for water). Ama Matai eventually became pronounced as Amatoya. It was later shortened to “Moytoy”. He ruled the town of Chota sometime between the beginning of the eighteenth century and 1730. At that time, the Cherokee had no central chief but rather small town chiefs. Amatoya is considered to be the founder of a family of chiefs which ruled for over a century.
|Please see Cherokee Registry|
- ↑ Wikipedia: Great Tellico
- ↑ Amatoya Moytoy 1640-1730: Founder of a Family of Chiefs by Sharon Star
- Wikipedia Chota (Cherokee Town)
- Wikipedia Moytoy
- Amatoya Moytoy, in Descendants of A-ma-do-ya Moytoy, Generation # 1
- History of the Cherokee and their Legends and Folklore by Dr. Emmett Starr (Internet archive)
- The Cherokee Nation: A History by Robert J Conley, Albuquerque: University of New Mexico Press, 2008.
- A Cherokee Encyclopediaby Robert J Conley, Albuquerque: University of New Mexico Press, 2007. ISBN 978-0826339515.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
- this is my family do you want more info that is correct? Oct 18, 2015.
- How to clean up a garbled profile? Jul 6, 2015.
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with Chief of Chota by comparing test results with other carriers of his Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA. Y-chromosome DNA test-takers in his direct paternal line on WikiTree:
- John R Carpenter : Family Tree DNA Y-DNA Test 111 markers, haplogroup R-Z282, Ysearch HYZBT, FTDNA kit #5734
- Martin Tracy : Family Tree DNA Y-DNA Test 37 markers, haplogroup R1b1b2a1a2d, Ysearch SAH73, FTDNA kit #N39431
- Clark Carpenter : Family Tree DNA Y-DNA Test 37 markers, haplogroup R-M198, FTDNA kit #466152
- William Carpenter : Y-Chromosome Test 74 markers, haplogroup R1a1a1b1a, Ysearch HYZBT
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
Images: 1 Collaboration
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Tom Coley, George Kewin, Teresa Langford, Mary Imler, Jim Williams, and Richard Stewart. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On 18 Oct 2015 at 17:12 GMT Jim (W) Williams wrote:
On 18 Oct 2015 at 12:53 GMT Anne B wrote:
On 23 Jul 2015 at 12:54 GMT Paula J wrote:
I will monitor this profile for any future incorrect additions, edits or merges.
Thanks for all of your help and patience!! Please contact me if you need any assistance in the future.
On 22 Jul 2015 at 21:17 GMT K (Parks) F wrote:
On 22 Jul 2015 at 20:32 GMT Jim (W) Williams wrote:
Parents removed as you wished. Some siblings and descendants contain name "Passmere" or "Carpenter" which may be incorrect also, yes?
On 22 Jul 2015 at 17:10 GMT K (Parks) F wrote:
On 22 Jul 2015 at 17:06 GMT K (Parks) F wrote:
On 21 Jul 2015 at 17:10 GMT Paula J wrote:
Amatoya Moytoy of Chota had only one spouse and other spouses should not be connected to this profile.
I will continue to research what I can about this profile but this is the final product as far as facts are concerned.
Please let me know if you disagree with the data as it now exists.
I will have Terry make it pretty for us. Thank you so much for your patience.
On 11 Jul 2015 at 05:54 GMT Paula J wrote:
On 10 Jul 2015 at 15:24 GMT Paula J wrote:
I propose that we disconnect White Owl Raven from Chief Amatoya Moytoy and Quatsy of Tellico.
Are there any objections to this?
Chief of Chota is 19 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 26 degrees from Bob Dylan, 21 degrees from AJ Jacobs, 22 degrees from Michael Phelps and 19 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.