- Pierce Noland Sr's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
Pierce Noland Sr was born in Dublin around 1628. His family moved to Fethard, County Tipperary Ireland, lived in County Mayo where Pierce Jr was born and then returned to Fethard after the death of Cromwell.
- Pierce Nowland, born in Dublin, Ireland and an unknown wife had the following children:
- Darby, born in Ireland, married Ann Browning; died 1727 in Cecil County, Maryland
- Henry, born at Ireland; married Lettice ____.
- Thomas, born at Ireland; married Mary Parrish.
- Pierce, born circa 1654 at Mayo, Ireland; married Katherine ____.
- Philip; born 1656 at Ireland; married Bridget Nelson 1685;6 died 1733 at Stafford County, Va.
- William, born circa 1658 at Ireland.
No more info is currently available for Pierce Noland. Can you add to his biography?
- A merged profile came attached with parents and wife not previously known. No source/support for them has been found, so they have been detached:
- Thomas Charles Noland (had been attached as father)
- Wife Nowlin-Noland (had been attached as mother)
- Elizabeth Gore (had been attached as wife)
- ↑ one descendant (Nancy Legge) had 1638 in Dublin
- ↑ general agreement among Noland researchers
- ↑ this information (children by unknown wife) is from Sharon Noland's website. She is one of the leading Noland researchers. Unfortunately, the citations she included in the text are no longer available over the Internet. If you have a print out from her site with the citations, please share!
- ↑ Sharon Noland's website shows an Elizabeth Gore as the wife of Sampson Noland.* And a discussion here cites a 1794 SC record that shows an Elizabeth as widow of Pearce Noland in a law case with a Gore.**
- * from Sharon Noland's website:
- Peter Noland (son of Phillip), born c1720, married Ann Wilcoxen, daughter of John and Angess (___) Wilcoxen, in 1754. He died in 1796 at Wilkes Co., NC. Their children were:
- Sampson, married Elizabeth Gore.
- Henry (or Harry), born circa 1757; married Isabell Milner.
- Pierce; born 1758; died 1800.
- Moses; born 1763; died 1803.
- Martha; born 1766; married John Luke Carrell; died 1790.
- Delilah, born 1768; married William Davis.
- Sarah; born 1771; married James Carrell 23 Jan 1793 at Wilkes Co., NC.
- ** from Coffey family tree, discussion of "Possible Maiden Names for Elizabeth Coffey:"
- First, it is unlikely Elizabeth's maiden name was Noland. In the minutes of the county court of Chester Co, SC, January 1794 (we find that) Elizabeth Noland late widow of Salathiel Coffee and Pearce Noland is a plaintiff in a case against James Mannion Gore, defendant. The reading of this record would only indicate that Elizabeth was married to Salathiel Coffee and is now probably the wife of Pearce Noland.
- Second, it is unlikely that Elizabeth's maiden name was Gore. The will of Elizabeth Gore of Chester Co. SC, 25 Nov 1788, in part reads "…to my beloved daughters Mary Sanders, Easter Wood and Elizabeth Knowling…". The name Noland is often seen as Navland, Nolan, Knowland and Knowling in court records. This Elizabeth Knowling is more likely the wife of Sampson "Nolan" who witnessed the above will of Elizabeth Gore. In a Chester Co. deed of March 1784, Sampson Noland and Elizabeth Noland, his wife, sold land to Patrick McGriff on the Sandy River.
- * from Sharon Noland's website:
- The Stephen-Daniel Line of the Noland Family-Edward J. Ronsheim, Sr. Anderson Indiana 1854
- Following section on Noland Genealogy from the Coffey Family website pertains to Elizabeth Coffey/Gore:
- NOLAND FAMILY:
- "A short genealogy of the Noland family may help in understanding their relationship to the Coffey, Gore and Saunders families. The Gore, Noland, and Saunders families were originally from Frederick Cy, Md, and that part of Virginia directly across the Potomac. They lived near each other and intermarried. About 1768 there was a migration of these people from the Frederick Co. Md. Area into North Carolina and eventually down into South Carolina. Examination of court records in Maryland will produce a wealth of information for those researchers interested in connecting these families further."
- PIERCE NOLAND:
- "Pierce Noland, second husband of Elizabeth Coffey, was the son of Peter Noland of Wilkes Co., N.C. Peter Noland died about 16 April 1796 in Wilkes Co. N.C. In his will, he names daughters Martha Carrell, Delilah Davis, Sarah Carroll, sons Henry, Moses and Pierce. Pierce was one of the executors of his father's will, along with John Brown. On 4 November 1797 "Pearce Noland" executor of Peter Noland deceased sold to his brother Henry Noland 50 acres on Beaver Creek, Wilkes Co., N.C. This land was where Pierce Noland then lived and was part of a larger tract of 200 acres that was granted to Joel Coffey who sold it to Peter Noland about 1789. This deal was witnessed in part by Newton Coffey, supposed son of Salathiel and Elizabeth Coffey. The above Joel appears to be one of the sons of Chesley Coffey and brother to Nebuzaradon, Nathan and Salathiel. Peter Noland may also have been the father or the brother of the Sampson Noland mentioned as a witness in Elizabeth Gore's will. In March 1784, Peter Noland of Camden District, S.C. sold to Sampson Noland of the same county land on the Sandy River, Chester County, S.C.
- "Pierce Noland apparently did not leave a will and died shortly after his father Peter. An inventory of Pierce Noland's estate is found in Wilkes Cy. N.C. will book in 1797 but with no month or day. It is assumed he died late 1797/1798. Pierce Noland was married previous to his marriage to Elizabeth Coffey. His son Pierce Noland and again John Brown were executors of his estate.
- "From just these few land records, it can be seen that the Coffeys and Nolands were moving back and forth from early Wilkes and Burke County areas in North Carolina to the Chester County, South Carolina area, buying and selling land. These families migrated down from Maryland and continued to stay close to one another in North and South Carolina. There are many other court records on these people in the above mentioned states, too numerous to mention in this short essay."
- Sharon Winsatt created the WikiTree profile for Pierce Noland-140 on August 26, 2011. Click the Changes tab for the details of edits by Sharon, Liz Shifflett, and others.
- Nancy Legge created the WikiTree profile for Pierce Noland-157 on October 1, 2011. See the Changes page for the details of edits by Nancy and others.
- Kathi Golden created the WikiTree profile for Pierce Noland-350 on January 14, 2014. See the Changes page for the details of edits by Kathi and others. Kathi's profile included parents and wife for Pierce (see Disputed Relationships), as well as the entry for death place ("buried in County Mayo, Ireland cemetery").
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with Pierce by comparing test results with other carriers of his Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA. Y-chromosome DNA test-takers in his direct paternal line on WikiTree:
- Peyton Noland : Family Tree DNA Y-DNA Test 111 markers, haplogroup R-M269, Ysearch PCVER, FTDNA kit #360774
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Liz Shifflett and Nancy Legge. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On 31 Dec 2015 at 20:04 GMT Liz (Noland) Shifflett wrote:
sources needed for profiles attached as wife & parents.
On 15 Jan 2015 at 00:23 GMT Liz (Noland) Shifflett wrote:
On 6 Oct 2014 at 06:57 GMT Liz (Noland) Shifflett wrote:
Pierce is 22 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 29 degrees from Bob Dylan, 21 degrees from AJ Jacobs, 23 degrees from Michael Phelps and 19 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.