William Pecke or Peck, Deacon
William was born about 1600 at or near London, England, according to Peck, or Whittemore reports 1601. His parents are unknown. Darius Peck states that "A persistent effort to trace the line of his progenitors involving much time and a large expense has proved unsuccessful."
William may have sailed aboard the Hector with his wife Elizabeth and son Jeremiah. This voyage, which arrived at Boston 26 June, 1637, also included Governors Eaton and Hopkins, Rev. John Davenport, and the son of the Earl of Marlborough.
William married twice.
Children of William and Elizabeth:
*The Record of Baptisms in New Haven reports in addition, the two youngest children, not reported by Whittemore.
William was one of the first planters and settlers of New Haven Colony in about 1638. He is among the proprietors of New Haven in 1685 along with Joseph Peck and Benjamin Peck. According to the Record of Baptisms in New Haven, Joseph Peck had sons named Joseph and Benjamin, both baptized on 5 Sept 1647.
In June, 1639, William was one of the signers of the first compact for New Haven. He was an original proprietor and was made freeman in 1640. In 1659, he was chosen Deacon and served in this capacity until his death.
William wrote his will in 1689 at New Haven in which he mentioned his second wife and four children.
Whittemore mentions New Hampshire - that William was one of the founders of "New Hampshire" and was one of the signers of the first compact of "New Hampshire," also that he wrote his will at "New Hampshire." This is an obvious mistake, probably misinterpreting the abbreviation N.H., which of course, stood for New Haven.
For informational purposes:
Peck-217 relationship to Plantagenet-70 (King Edward III of England)
Edward III is the 12th great grandfather of William
1. William is the son of William Peck [unknown confidence]
2. William is the son of Stephen Peck [unknown confidence]
3. Stephen is the son of John Peck [unknown confidence]
4. John is the son of John Peck [unknown confidence]
5. John is the son of John Peck Esquire [unknown confidence]
6. John is the son of Richard Peck [unknown confidence]
7. Richard is the son of Joan (Harrington) Peck [unknown confidence]
8. Joan is the daughter of Matilda (Clifford) Sutton [unknown confidence]
9. Maud is the daughter of Thomas Clifford [confident]
10. Thomas is the son of Elizabeth (Percy) Neville [confident]
11. Elizabeth is the daughter of Elizabeth (Mortimer) Camoys [unknown confidence]
12. Elizabeth is the daughter of Philippa (Plantagenet) Mortimer [unknown confidence]
13. Philippa is the daughter of Lionel (Plantagenet) of Antwerp KG [confident]
14. Lionel is the son of Edward (Plantagenet) of England [confident] This makes Edward III the 12th great grandfather of William.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Ancestry DNA.
On 13 Dec 2017 at 11:09 GMT James Carr wrote:
William is 18 degrees from Judy Garland, 17 degrees from Mindy Silva and 15 degrees from Victoria of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.