Categories: US Presidents | US Senators from New Hampshire | US Representatives from New Hampshire | Democratic Political Party | Old North Cemetery, Concord, New Hampshire | Namesakes US Counties | Notables.
||Franklin Pierce was the President of the United States.|
Join: US Presidents Project
of the United States
US Senator (Class 3)
from New Hampshire
Franklin Pierce was the 14th President of the United States and the first, and only, President from New Hampshire. He was a very complex individual a northerner with southern sympathies. He was a successful lawyer by trade that took part in the Mexican American war becoming a brigadier general. He had a relationship with Jefferson Davis during the Civil war that many considered treason. All of his children died young and after the presidency his alcoholism attributed to the demise of his marriage.
|1804 Birth||1834 Marriage||1835 1st Child||1853 Elected President||1869 Death|
- 1804 November 23
- Born to Benjamin and Anna, the fifth of eight children most likely at the Franklin Pierce Homestead, which his father had built that year in Hillsborough, New Hampshire. 
- Education: Phillips Exeter Academy
- Alma mater: Bowdoin College
- Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from New Hampshire's At-large district March 4, 1833 – March 4, 1837
- 834: Marriage Jane Means Appleton
- United States Senator from New Hampshire March 4, 1837 – February 28, 1842
- Children: Franklin Pierce, Frank Robert Pierce, Benjamin Pierce
- Service/branch U.S. Army 1846 - 1848 Rank Brigadier General
- 14th President of the United States March 4, 1853 – March 4, 1857 vice president
- Died: October 8, 1869 (aged 64), Concord, New Hampshire, Resting place Old North Cemetery, Concord, New Hampshire
Most Distant Known Ancestors
- Paternal David Monroe born Scotland, husband of Agnes
- Link to 10 Generation Paternal Chart
- Maternal Elizabeth Jones born in 1730, wife of Spence Monroe
- Link to 10 Generation Maternal Chart
- Four states have named counties in President Pierce's honor. They are: Georgia, Nebraska, Washington, and Wisconsin.
- Find a Grave Memorial #814
- Wikipedia Franklin Pierce Franklin Pierce
- Possible Source to check  Author: Gary Boyd Roberts, Title: Notable Kin, Volume One, Publication: Name: Name: Carl Boyer, 3rd; Location: Santa Clarita, California; Date: 1998, Repository: Published in cooperation with the New England Historic genealogical Society, Boston, Massachusetts
- Stearns, Ezra S. Genealogical and Family History of the State of New Hampshire (Lewis Publishing Company, 1908) Vol. 2, Page 559
- Portrait & Bio. Album of Mahaska Co. IA (1887)
- ↑ Another possible birthplace was the family's former log cabin, which site is now under Franklin Pierce Lake.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
- I am told I was related to President Franklin Pierce my Mom was a Pierce. How do I find out? Jan 30, 2017.
- Undo a Merge Oct 8, 2012.
No known carriers of Franklin's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests and no close relatives have taken a 23andMe, AncestryDNA, or Family Tree DNA "Family Finder" test.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
Images: 2 Collaboration
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: US Presidents Project WikiTree and Matthew Gibson. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On 7 Dec 2014 at 19:56 GMT Sheila x wrote:
Franklin is 15 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 12 degrees from Stephen Hopkins, 22 degrees from Ben Kingsley, 20 degrees from David Selman and 19 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.