Notes for George Pitre*:
- Placing George Pitre has been very difficult. Finding his marriage record has still not resolved all my questions. The Michigan marriage returns have his marriage listed as George Petre (Frank/Caroline Fobert), age 24, b. Canada, married to Antoinette Prieur (Leon/Alexandrine Meuner), age 17, b. Canada. Marriage was 22 August 1893 in Essexville, Bay, MI. Witnesses were Jeff Pitre (of Bay City) & Nora Prieur.
- His brother Joseph Sigefroy Pitre married in 1898 at Valleyfield Quebec and is found there in the 1901 census. Joseph Sigefroy is listed in the border crossings at Malone, New York in 1910 as Geoffroy Pitre 36 with wife Mary Louise 35, and nearest relative from own country is mother Caroline F. Pitre of Valleyfield.
- Believe the marriage witness Jeff Pitre is brother Sigefroy. A Francois Pitre is witness at Sigefroy's marriage.
- George is in the Michigan censuses of 1900 (age 30), 1920 (age 53), and 1930 (age 64), and claims to have immigrated to America in variously 1885, 1887 & 1890; and to have married at age 26 which would put his birth at 1866/7.
- This leaves George as either an unrecorded twin of Onfroid or more likely George = Francois.
Burial: Sts. Agnes Gardien Parish church, Lachine, Montreal, Quebec on 11 April 1905 (60yrs). Witnesses were his sons, Sigfroy, Jean and Raoul Pitre.
Burial: Sts. Agnes Gardien Parish Records, Lachine. Montreal, Quebec ((Pitre extractions):
I found a record for George and his family in the 1885 Minnesota State Census. The family name was indexed/recorded incorrectly as PITEO. The family composition matches this family and ages are about right. Interesting side note, George's son Frederick Joseph will go on to marry Mary Louise Toutant in Essexville MI. Mary Louise's parents Joseph Hilarion Toutant and Melina Charron were also in Minnesota (Andover, Polk, MN) in the 1885 census. This is the first time I found a record of my PITRE relatives in Minnesota at the same time as my TOUTANT relatives. (this note left by Colleen O'Neil) "Minnesota State Census, 1885," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MQX2-5JY : 14 October 2019), Francais Piteo, Lake Pleasant, Polk, Minnesota; citing p. 2, volume Polk, State Library and Records Service, St.Paul; FHL microfilm 565,749.
Have you taken a DNA test? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Ancestry DNA.
Francois Xavier is 17 degrees from Jan van Haarlem, 19 degrees from Henry Morgan, 22 degrees from Jeanne de Belleville, 13 degrees from Joseph Bradish, 20 degrees from Peter Corne, 29 degrees from Pier Gerloffs Donia, 25 degrees from Lars Gathenhielm, 13 degrees from Jean Lafitte, 16 degrees from Henry Mainwaring, 22 degrees from Gráinne O'Malley, 21 degrees from Fortunatus Wright and 21 degrees from Rob Graham on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.