- Anthony Potter's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
Previously, this profile for Anthony Potter showed his parents as Robert Potter and Isabel Anthony. According to Anderson’s Great Migration, Robert Potter had three children, Deliverance, John and Elizabeth. There is no mention of Anthony Potter being the child of Robert Potter and Isabel Tripp/Anthony, so they have been detached from this profile.
Although there is some evidence that these are his parents, there is also evidence to the contrary. At this time, neither possibility can be confirmed.
Anthony Potter was born about 1628 in Coventry, Warwickshire, England. (citation needed).
He was in Ipswich, Essex, Massachusetts by 1648.
Anthony's will was dated 23 December 1689 and proved 26 March 1690. His wife was Elizabeth Whipple who was born in 1629 and died in 1712, the daughter of Deacon John and Sarah Whipple.
According to Torrey, Anthony Potter was married twice, to Elizabeth Whipple who died in 1641 and Elizabeth Stone whom he married by 1653. 
John Whipple's 1669 will includes a bequest: "I give unto Anthony Potter my son in law some times, forty shillings," implying that Anthony Potter had been married to a daughter (deceased?) of John Whipple. Most say that daughter was Elizabeth, but Anderson in his Great Migration series claims otherwise.
Anthony Potter, the immigrant ancestor, was born in England in 1628 and died in 1690. His farm was one of the best in Ipswich, on the road to Salem, southwest of Ipswich village. His wife was Elizabeth Whipple. His children were John, Edmund, Samuel, Thomas, Anthony, Elizabeth and Lydia.
- ↑ Robert Charles Anderson, “The Great Migration: Immigrants to New England 1634-1635”, Boston, New England Historic Genealogical Society, 1999-2011, Vol V, M-P, pages 500-505.
- ↑ William Richard Cutter, "Historic Homes and Places and Genealogical and Personal Memoirs relating to the Families of Middlesex County, Massachusetts", Lewis Historical Publishing Company, NY, 1908, page 1817.
- ↑ Torrey, Clarence A. New England Marriages Prior to 1700. Baltimore, MD, USA: Genealogical Publishing Co., 2004, Vol 2, page 1217.
- ↑ William Richard Cutter, “New England Families”, Third Series, 1915, Lewis Historical Publishing Company, New York, Volume 1, page 209.
S1. Ancestry-Vtdawn31. Anthony Potter, born 1628 in Ipswich MA. Died 26Mar1712 in Ipswich MA. Son of Robert Potter and Isabel Trip. Husband of Elizabeth Stone. Father of Samuel Potter. Many sources. Note: If Source S3 is correct, Anthony arrived in Ipswich in 1848, and so would not have been born there.
S2. U.S. and International Marriage Records, 1560-1900. Anthony Potter born 1628 married Elizabeth Stone born in 1628. Married in 1652 in MA.
S3. U.S. and Canada, Passenger and Immigration Lists Index, 1500s-1900s. Anthony Potter arrived in Ipswich MA in 1648.
S4. Family Data Collection - Individual Records. Anthony Potter married Elizabeth Stone in 1652 in Ipswich MA. Father: Robert Potter. Death Date: 26Mar1690 in Ipswich MA.
S5. Find A Grave. Anthony Potter, born 1627 in Warwickshire, Englnad. Died 26Mar1690 in Ipswich MA. "Anthony Potter and Elizabeth Whipple were married about 1647 in Ipswich MA. He married Elizabeth Stone about 1652 in MA."
- "Jeremiah Potter's book from 1881 references Anthony Potter as his first child on Page 6 with no other reference in the book."
- "In the introduction to the Potter Genealogies: "It has also been stated by some historians that Anthony Potter, of Ipswich, was a son of the Robert Potter of Lynn, who subsequently settled in Portsmouth, RI. There does not seem to be any records to make this certain. The name Anthony was a family name, and suggests that his mother may have been an Anthony, as the families of Anthony and Potter were connected."
S6. Genealogies of the Potter families and their descendents in America to the present generation with historical and biographical sketches. POTTER, Charles Edward (ed) Published by Privately published, Boston, 1888. This lists only 4 children of Robert and Isabel Potter: Elizabeth, Deliverance, Isabel and John. No mention of Anthony as his son.
- Part I, "Anthony Potter of Ipswich MA and his Descendants" states: "The first record of him in this country was of Ipswich, 1648....He and his wife Elizabeth (Whipple) Potter gave a silver cup to the church at Ipswich....It has been also stated...that he was a son of Robert Potter of Lynne, who subsequently settled in Portsmouth RI...The name Anthony was a family name and his mother may have been an Anthony, as the families of Anthony and Potter were connected.
S7. "New England Marriages: Prior to 1700". Anthony Potter married Elizabeth Stone in 1652 in Ipswich MA.
S8. FamilySearch. There are 8 sources listed here.
S9. FamilySearch. Anthony Potter, born 1627 in Coventry Warwick England. Died 26MAr1690 in Ipswich MA. Son of Robert Potter (1600). Spouse: Elizabeth Whipple, married 1641 in Ipswich, and Elizabeth Stone, married in 1652 of Nayland Suffolk England. Listed children are John, Edmund, SAmuel, Elizabeth, Anthony, Lydia and Thomas.
- "Anthony and Elizabeth (Whipple) Potter were the earliest ancestors of the Ipswich Potters. The first residence of Anthony and Elizabeth Potter was in 1648 in a house built by Major-General Dennison near the present (written in 1891) stone mill in Ipswich."
S10. FamilySearch. This Anthony has his father as Robert Potter, born 1600 in Coventry, died in Lynn? MA. and who married Mrs Potter about 1624 in England.
S11. FamilySearch. Robert Potter, born 1600 in Coventry, Warwick, England, died abt 1650 in Lynn, Essex, MA, father of Anthony Potter. Husband of Joanna Clark. Married before 1627 in England.
S12. FamilySearch. Robert Potter, born 1600 in Coventry. Son of Alfred K Potter. Father of Anthony. Husband of Mrs Robert Potter, born abt 1600 of Milngate, Manchester. Married about 1623.
N1. There is a dispute regarding Anthony' parents. The Potter-143 sources claim that Robert and Isabel had 3 or 4 children, none of whom were Anthony.
N2. This original profile, based on S1, has Anthony's DOD as 26Mar1712, But Source S4 has it as 26Mar1690, which is used here.
N3. The DOB of Anthony, 1628, makes him less likely to be the son of Robert (1608) and Isabel (1612), though it is possible. (One source claims Isabel was born in 1607.)
N4. Note that S9 has his father ais Robert Potter, born abt 1600 in Coventry, Warwick, England. S10 says the same thing, with his death possibly in Lynn MA. Every FamilySearch record with Robert as his father was examined. Those without Isabel as his mother have Robert born about 1600 and Mrs Potter bron about 1603 and married in about 1624. Some records also have his mother as Isabel Tripp.
Anthony Potter is on the DNA path from VTdawn31 , which follows this path. VT and several others are DNA matches that would require Anthony to be the descendant of George Potter or one of his ancestors. This does not require Anthony to be the son of Robert/Isabel, though that is one possibility.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Anthony's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Bob Fields, Steve Selbrede, Merry Kennedy, Rhonda Scoullar, and Jack Wise. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On 10 Oct 2016 at 20:04 GMT Kay (Johnson) Wilson wrote:
On 6 Oct 2016 at 05:16 GMT Steve Selbrede wrote:
On 6 Mar 2013 at 19:42 GMT Jillaine Smith wrote:
On 6 Mar 2013 at 19:35 GMT Jillaine Smith wrote:
On 6 Mar 2013 at 13:02 GMT Toby Rockwell wrote:
On 5 Mar 2013 at 15:41 GMT Jillaine Smith wrote:
On 5 Mar 2013 at 15:39 GMT Jillaine Smith wrote:
Anthony is 15 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 13 degrees from Dorothy Coakley, 20 degrees from Virgil Grissom, 20 degrees from Ayn Rand and 18 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.