From 1891, he was a member of the Supervisory Board and the director of the Joint Stock Company Cotton Products IK Poznański. Due to his education (he was a doctor of chemistry) in the factory he dealt with the technical side of production.
From 1895, he was also a member of the supervisory board of the Warsaw Discount Bank, since 1920 a supporting member of the Lodz Branch of the Polish Chemical Society. He also sat on the reformed synagogue committee at al. Kosciuszko and a member of the Talmud Torah Society.
Karol married the daughter of the well-known Łódź industrialist Adam Osser, Felicja (Fajga, 1867-1930). He had four sons with her: Mieczysław (1889-1915), who died during his medical studies in Switzerland, Leona (1890-1970), Stanisław (1894-1943) and Jerzy (1899-1925). The latter committed suicide. His reason was apparently the lack of acceptance of the family for Jerzy, a worker from the working class.
Karol passed away in 1928.
The palace, located at the intersection of Gdańska and 1 Maja streets (formerly Długa and Pasaż Szulca), was built in 1904-1908 according to the design of Adolf Zeligson (this is one of the architect's last works). The building was built on the horseshoe plan, creating an internal courtyard at the same time. The Karol Poznański Residence was the first building in Łódź, where the distribution of central heating with its own boiler room was planned already in the design phase. To avoid costs, the palace - similarly to the Maurice palace and Herman's residence in Warsaw, was officially owned by IK Poznański, a joint stock company of cotton products.
On the remaining part of the plot, there was a garden separating it from the buildings at Więckowski Street (formerly Cegielniana Street). A part of the garden exists to this day.
The two-storey palace received a façade in the style of the Florentine Renaissance. The block is distinguished by a semi-circular corner covered by a flattened dome and an Art Nouveau window placed in the south facade.
There are three entrances to the residence, however, the most representative ones are located along with the driveway from the side of ul. 1 May. The entrance from Gdańska street leads to the ground floor and basement rooms, and from the yard, there is an economic entrance.
On the ground floor, there was: an oval living room in the corner, a hall with an entrance from Gdańska Street, a large dining room, cabinets and boudoirs. The next floor was led by an internal staircase, lined with marble. In its wall there is a stained-glass window, through which sunbeams fell, colourfully illuminating the passage.
The layout of the rooms on the first floor is planned similarly to the one on the ground floor. The oval living room was situated in the corner, then the trail led to the billiard room, study room and living room connected with the winter garden, which decorated stuccoes and bells and whistles. Hall on the first floor was covered with a flattened glass dome and stucco decoration, illuminated with spectacular lamps. The rooms in the side wings were designated for the Poznański family, while the basements and basements for utility rooms, and the attic for rooms for servants.
The element of representativeness was visible in the rich, lavish interiors, as well as through diversified size, various shape and variety of style solutions. Rich marble fireplaces, colourful stained-glass windows with allegorical performances, intricate railings, chandeliers and sconces add to the wealth effect. In one of the windows of the staircase, there is a stained glass window from the workshop of Ryszard Schlein from Żytawa near Budziszyn, depicting a girl with a basket of fruit and a branch of a rose.
The palace was planned as a residential building intended for one family and for service. With time, the shareholders' families of IK Poznański, a joint-stock company of cotton products, also lived there. To this day, the original appearance, original layout and even some of the equipment (marble fireplaces, stained glass, chandeliers, mouldings) have been preserved to a large extent.
THE PALACE TODAY In the first years of the interwar period in the building, apart from Karol Poznański and his family, there were also other inhabitants of the joint stock company (which was, in fact, the owner of the palace). Already after Karol's death in December 1928, a non-related shareholder, the vice president of the board of the enterprise - Otton Bankwitz, lived in the palace.
In the interwar period, the building was partially used as a conservatory. During the occupation, the German Städtische Musikschule was located here, which operated almost until the end of 1944. In 1945, the palace became the property of the state. Just after the war, the first meeting of the Polish Workers' Party took place. In 1946, a high school was introduced there, later transformed into the State Higher School of Music. Until the mid-1960s at ul. The students of the State Higher School of Theater, including Jan Machulski and Janusz Gajos.
The previously mentioned State College of Music from 1982 is named after the Music Academy and in 1999 it received the name Grażyna and Kiejstut Bacewicz. However, its seat, ie the palace of Karol Poznański, remains unchanged.
The palace houses concert halls, lecture and training rooms for students, the Electronic Music Computer Studio, and the Electroacoustic Workshop. Here, the University Authorities and administration function.
In 2013, due to subsidies from the EU and the Ministry of Culture, a thorough revitalization of the building began. Facades are being renovated, the garden has been tidied up and new plantings have appeared. The work has now moved into the interior of the building. In spite of all these works, the Academy did not stop work and the building still held didactic classes.
This profile is a collaborative work-in-progress. Can you contribute information or sources?
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Ancestry DNA.
Karol is 32 degrees from George Bush, 34 degrees from Rick San Soucie and 22 degrees from Victoria of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.