Project: Adoption Angels
Adoption Angels are volunteers who help adoptees and birth families look for and connect with each other.
Contact the WikiTree Adoption Angels.
What is an Adoption Angel?
WikiTree Adoption Angels are volunteers who have taken on the mission of helping adoptees and birth families look for and connect with each other. With our global family tree and our DNA features, WikiTree can be an invaluable asset for assisting adoptees and birth families in their search.
Angels can also help adoptees get settled into WikiTree. Even how to set up their own profile can be difficult! Angels can help smooth the way.
(Note: "Adoptees" can also include non-paternal events (NPEs) and cases of unknown parentage.)
Click on the image to watch the video:
|Adoption Angels Project|
Becoming an Adoption Angel
To join you will need to have signed our Honor Code and been a member of WikiTree for 3 months.
Before you commit to being an Adoption Angel, read through our Mission Statement and be sure you understand what Angels do and don't do.
Ways to Participate
- Review Pending Requests in our applicants list and see if there are any you might help fill (badged members will have access to this list).
- Help answer questions for applicants from how to set up a profile to how to sign up for adoption registries.
- Answer questions in g2g about adoption and searches for biological family.
- Create location resource pages with adoption help (Ex: Alabama Adoption Resources) or add resources to each existing page.
- Post information and resources to the DNA and Adoption page.
- Post information and resources to the Basic Search Help page.
- Coming soon: Add adoption categories to profiles (instructions and categories are being set-up).
Adoption is emotional and sensitivity is needed in working with adoptees in finding information and family connections.
The following is our mission statement laying out what our Adoption Angels will and will not do in aiding adoptees with their search for their families and roots.
Adoption Angels will:
- Help Adoptees to set up their WikiTree profiles.
- Help Adoptees to find information needed for a biological family search such as birth records and non-identifying information.
- Help Adoptees use the information they have to search for bio families.
- Help Adoptees who have found their bio parents to get started on creating their biological trees.
- Help in searches for biological parents for deceased members of the family further back on the tree (such as grandparents).
- Help integrate DNA test results into the search for family.
Adoption Angels will not:
- Research for or on behalf of minor children (under the age of 18).
- Make contact with the biological family of searcher.
- Pressure any individual to make contact once the lost family is located.
- Assist someone other than the adoptee without the adoptee contacting the Angel to give consent.
- Charge for their services.
Further, privacy is a key point of our Honor Code. As such, Adoption Angels will respect adoptees' wishes regarding permissions to view and/or edit their family tree or DNA (such as passwords or editor status on an account). In addition, Angels will be sure any private information will be kept 100% confidential.
The first time an Angel helps make a connection between an adoptee and birth family (or vice versa) through the Adoption Angels project they'll earn this badge:
Resources For Adoptees
Genetic genealogy is the use of DNA testing in combination with traditional genealogical and historical records.. Genetic genealogy involves the use of genealogical DNA testing together with documentary evidence to infer the relationship between individuals.
Finding someone who matches your DNA who knows their genealogy could tell you about your genealogy. The closer the relationship between you and your DNA match the closer you are to knowing your family connection. It's a little more involved, but that is the basic premise.
Help for Adoptees
- Adoptees: How to Set Up Your Profile
- Basic Search Help
- Access to Adoption Records: United States, Canada.
- Various Resources
- Contact the WikiTree Adoption Angels.
G2G Forum Questions
- ↑ citation for Kennett D. Sense about genealogical DNA testing Sense About Science, 15 March 2013 from the ISOGG Wiki
- ↑ Genetic Genealogy, from the ISOGG Wiki
This page was last modified 04:36, 28 January 2020. This page has been accessed 15,753 times.