The California Project is part of the United States History Project.
The purpose of this project is to coordinate all California related projects and resources and combine that information into one place.
How to Join
For a full list of participants, see the badge report.
The current coordinator for the California project is Robin Coles.
It is not necessary that you be related to someone who lived in the state of California or live there yourself to join. Anyone with an interest is welcome! If you would like to participate, please do the following:
- Answer the US History G2G post and let us know your interests. We'll get you a badge after that.
- Add us_history and California to your list of followed tags. That way you'll see all of our discussions in your G2G Feed.
- Please see our list of goals for a basic overview for ways you can help.
The overall goals of the US History Project are to create and develop profiles on WikiTree for those who lived in the state of California. To meet these goals:
- Add California-related profiles, checking for existing profiles to avoid duplication. If any duplicate profiles exist, request merges, starting with the oldest generation.
- If profiles were loaded by GEDCOM, use WikiTree Styles and Standards to clean up residue and broken links.
- Search out original rather than derivative documentation and add sources.
- Write comprehensive, well-sourced biographies.
- Make sure profiles of all family members are correct and documented.
- Profiles need to be linked to the greater WikiTree. Try to find the connection.
List of Things to Do
- Need space pages created and developed for California counties and linked to this page. Would you like to lead a county project?
- If you have any California state resources that you are willing to do lookups, please add them to the California Resources Page.
- If you live in California, please consider adding your name to the California Research Assistance page.
Ongoing List of Things to Do
- Cemeteries in California need to be photographed and the categories added to profiles on WikiTree. See the California Cemeteries Project
- Add profiles for those who obtained land grants and homesteaded in California. See the Homesteaders Project
- Help develop the Native Americans Project with information about California state tribes.
- Work on California's unconnected and unsourced profiles.
- Add profiles for the men who died in World War I, serving from California for the California in the Great War project and for the Roll of Honor project.
- Errors on profiles from California, as reported by the Database Errors Project.
Town and County Projects
One Place Studies
California Related Categories on WikiTree
- California Category page
- California Projects page
- California, Cemeteries
- California Colleges & Universities
- California Governors
- California Homesteaders
- California Name Studies
- California Native American Tribes
- California, Politicians
- California Religious Institutions
- California Research Assistance
Related Projects and Pages on WikiTree
- Homesteaders Project
- Native Americans Project
- Trails and Wagon Trains Project
- The Way West Project
- US Governors Project
- California in the Great War
- United States in World War II page
This page was last modified 21:34, 8 July 2019. This page has been accessed 1,321 times.