Project: Cemeteries of Australia
This a Project to document the cemeteries of Australia. Links to WikiTree profiles will be provided (where known). If you would like to join this project, contact Paul Bech.
The leader of this sub-project is Paul Bech. If you would like to participate, please do the following:
- Add cemeteries to your list of followed tags.
- Ask Paul to award you the Cemeterist badge.
- Add your name to the list of current participants below, along with a note about how you would like to contribute to the project.
- Paul Bech -
- Rhonda Lucas - Naming conventions for Cemeteries and adding ones not listed
- Trace Allison - Adding Profiles, Creating Cemeteries, Content development.
- Tess Cameron - Managing Bombala cemetery, NSW (specifically), also contributing to mainly Monaro, NSW cemeteries. Adding profiles from existing cemetery tables and adding further research.
- Jeff Meurer - Adding headstone photos and creating profiles from the inscriptions and further research
- John Haberecht - Queensland resident. Helping to create profiles for existing cemeteries. Possibly adding some Queensland cemeteries later
- Jeanne Pepper Researching and creating profiles from existing NSW cemetery tables.
- Isha Kuhns Adding profiles and headstone photos for local cemeteries (Nillumbik/Whittlesea area in Victoria)
- Joanne Egan - Working on SA cemeteries with relatives. Hope to start looking at cemeteries in my local area (Wollongong, NSW) in future.
- Leisa Buckmaster - Working on Yarramalong cemetery, NSW
This project is to document the life and times of the people interred in the various Cemeteries. Each cemetery will be a sub-Project of the Cemeteries of Australia Project. Project members are needed to assist in the research and adding profiles and information to profiles. Hopefully it will grow to include links to other information and such things as video/audio tours of the cemeteries.
- Mainly by visiting cemeteries and photographing the headstones, then transcribing them to a spreadsheet before uploading the list to a page for that particular cemetery.
- Funeral notices and obituaries will also be searched for possible burials for which there are no headstones.
- Any other formal records that are available will also be consulted.
- People are needed for any or all of the tasks of this project which are outlined above.
- There are other cemetery sites and there is nothing preventing you from also adding your information to those sites as well. The issues are around freedom and integration of family tree information. Most of the large cemetery sites now have tie ups with commercial family tree sites so your work is being contributed to those sites as well. By adding cemetery information to WikiTree we can provide extensive profile information for graves which is missing from most other sites.
- Getting out and about with others is a healthy, social and interesting pastime. Get out from behind the computer screen and get some exercise, learn some history, and stop at a coffee shop on the way home to talk genealogy with other interested people. You can also give back to your community a documented history that is often missing.
WikiTree Australian Cemeteries
- Appin, St Mark's Anglican Church cemetery, NSW
- Completed with the assistance of Gail Hambridge.
- Bech-2 21:03, 10 January 2015 (EST)
- Appin, St Bede's Catholic church Cemetery, NSW
- Bech-2 07:03, 18 June 2014 (EDT)
- Ballina Pioneer Cemetery, NSW
- Bombala Cemetery, NSW
- Bech-2 12:12, 27 July 2014 (EDT)
- Bredo Cemetery, NSW
- Bech-2 16:31, 28 June 2014 (EDT)
- Michelago Cemetery, NSW
- Bech-2 19:48, 16 June 2014 (EDT)
- Mudgee Pioneer Cemetery, NSW
- Bech-2 21:22, 14 July 2014 (EDT)
- Cheltenham Cemetery, SA
- Linda Sibley Aug 2016
- Just collecting Sibley's profiles on Wiki into a find able place.
- Robertstown Zion Lutheran Cemetery, SA
- Joanne Egan Jan 2017
- Created page, not actively working on profiles at this stage.
- Drouin Cemetery, Victoria
- Currently being transcribed
- Drouin West Cemetery, Victoria
- Bech-2 01:37, 19 January 2015 (EST)
- Gembrook Cemetery, Victoria
- Bech-2 12:39, 10 May 2016 (EDT)
- Gormandale Cemetery, Victoria
- Bech-2 22:31, 25 December 2014 (EST)
- Grantville Cemetery, Victoria
- Bech-2 21:08, 5 January 2015 (EST)
- Kilcunda, Victoria
- Bech-2 11:24, 24 February 2016 (EST)
- Korumburra, Victoria
- Bech-2 09:02, 11 October 2015 (EDT)
- Lang Lang Cemetery, Victoria
- Bech-2 00:26, 21 September 2015 (EDT)
- Leongatha Cemetery, Victoria
- Bech-2 08:10, 4 June 2014 (EDT)
- Loch Street Cemetery, Beechworth, Victoria
- Bech-2 23:40, 1 September 2014 (EDT)
- Poowong Cemetery, Victoria
- Bech-2 00:09, 4 July 2014 (EDT)
- Portarlington Cemetery, Victoria
- Trace Allison 15 Mar 2015
- Ripplebrook Cemetery, Victoria
- Currently being transcribed
- San Remo Cemetery, Victoria
- Bech-2 09:48, 12 April 2016 (EDT)
- Strathbogie Cemetery, Victoria
- Marilyn Bacon 25 Nov 2015
- Warragul Cemetery (Victoria St), Warragul, Victoria
- Bech-2 19:33, 16 December 2015 (EST)
- Wonthaggi Cemetery, Victoria
- Currently being transcribed
Other Cemetery Resources
- Cemeteries currently being recorded (photographed, transcribed, researched (volunteers to assist welcome).
- Drouin, Victoria
- Photography complete (monumental section only). Transcription begun. Bech-2 05:16, 6 November 2016 (EST)
- Create WikiTree profiles for all people transcribed
- A completed table will include links to WikiTree profiles and direct links to the photos of gravestones. The profile created can include other sources of information as well as biographical details of the person.
- GPS locations of graves needed
- A dedicated GPS tracker can be used. For those with an android phone or pad there is an App called GPS Logger which can record the locations to a file which can be added to photos later with other software like GPSPrune which is a Java program which can run on most platforms. There are also cameras with GPS facility that can tag photos at the same time as they are taken. For more information or assistance contact Paul Bech.
- Checking of transcription information
- Other people are required to assist in double-checking the validity of data entered to ensure accuracy.
Cemeteries to be recorded, but not started
This space is to record interest in recording a cemetery, mainly to avoid duplication of effort. Contact Paul Bech to be listed here with the cemeteries you plan to record and if you would have an interest in getting together with others as a joint activity.
- Gippsland region
- I have an interest in recording cemeteries in the Gippsland region of Victoria and I am interested in joining others with a similar interest.
- Paul Bech: Bech-2 21:31, 28 April 2014 (EDT)
- NSW region
- I make irregular visits to NSW and I would be interested in joining others to document cemeteries.
- Paul Bech: Bech-2 23:55, 27 May 2014 (EDT)
Activities; What you can do
Become a Project member. Until such time as there are sufficient members of this project, discussion will come under the auspices of the Australia Project. If you are able to photograph, record, transcribe, research, etc you are very welcome. Perhaps you may be able to get together with others to share in this family tree activity. You might start with a cemetery near you.
Tips and Tricks
This can be an enjoyable activity. You can learn more about a place and it's people. I have even made some surprise discoveries with my family tree research by noting new connections.
- A good camera.
- GPS logger or App. (not essential but adds great value to the information recorded.
- Protection from the elements
- More to come
- More to come
This page was last modified 22:27, 5 March 2017. This page has been accessed 3,880 times.