As of March 2020, 83% of WikiTree profiles are connected within 100 degrees of each other!
Click on the image to watch the video:
Current Leaders: Abby
For a full list of participants, see the badge report.
If you would like to be involved in the Connectors project, please do the following:
- Add connectors to your list of followed tags. That way you'll see all of our discussions in your G2G Feed.
- Answer our welcome thread on G2G and we'll get you set up with a badge and information.
- Ask to join our Connectors Chat page and list what areas/regions/surnames your focus is on and if you're willing to lend a hand in helping others find connections in specific areas.
The primary goal of the Connectors project is to have all profiles connected to the main WikiTree tree. In working on that goal, we'd also like to see sources added, family added, collaboration between members, and community involvement via challenges.
Also nice to do in addition to the connection
- All duplicates merged into the final lowest profile ID number.
- All relevant categories are added.
- Biography is cleaned up, free of any GEDCOM junk, Ancestry trees, etc., and ideally has an actual written biography.
These are tasks that volunteers can do to help us! Check out the G2G post referring to the task, and ask questions or comment on what you're working on there. Please, keep in mind, in all connections you work on, use only high quality Sources. That does not include copying from other people's trees, or speculations from FindAGrave (there are plenty of excellent FindAGrave posts, though, that are totally acceptable), or books that have been proven to be erroneous. Always include a link to any internet sources, and try to set up your source according to the recommendations on the Sources help page.
- Check your own Unconnected list and connect those profiles.
- Work on the list of Unconnected Trees
- Help those people who ask for help in G2G find their connection to the main tree. Be sure you have connectors as a tag there to see when help is asked for. Often people will use "unconnected" as the tag to ask for help.
- Participate in the current challenge to connect folks to the tree, like the Connectors Challenge.
- Check the Places to find unconnected profiles page for other ways to find unconnected profiles.
- Check your own connection step by step for errors. Try doing this with all the connections you make.
- Check for possible duplicates. A lot of trees can be connected once merges are complete.
- There are several gedcoms from the past that imported but did not remain connected. A sub-project has been formed to work on piecing these back together, which would help connect them to the bigger Tree. Check out the Lost and Found Project if you're interested in helping.
- Finished: 15 April - 14 May (1 month), Connectors Challenge
- Active: 15 May - 14 June (1 month), Connectors Challenge
- Upcoming: 15 June - 14 July (1 month), Connectors Challenge
Current Sub-Projects and Free-Space Projects
- The Global Family Reunion sub-project focuses on connections needed for people attending the Reunion or who want to know how they're a "cousin" of AJ Jacobs. It is currently on hiatus until word comes from AJ about future reunions.
- Connectors Chat, coordinated by Carol Keeling, a place to offer help to others in making connections, let others know what areas we can help in/are working on, talk about connections, etc.
- The Lost and Found Project, coordinated by Carol Keeling and Greg Slade, focuses on piecing back together gedcoms that were blown apart upon import and then connecting those branches back to the main Tree.
MatchBot Monitors Project, Liz Shifflett coordinatoras of 2019, no longer needed (MatchBot no longer proposes merges that need to be monitored)
Suggestions welcome! If you're interested in being Project Coordinator for one, let the Leader know and we'll get started on setting things up.
Remember a lot of questions can be answered by referring to the help pages link at the top right of pages.
- Styles and Standards Help with Styles and Standards
- Project Protecting and merging Help on PPP and Merging
- Help with Gedcoms Gedcom Help and answers
- Language Resources Help with translations
- Formatting Help with formatting on a profile
- The Unconnected page lists ideas for working on profiles that aren't connected to the main tree.
- The DBE Unconnected page lists reports for different countries in the world, showing unconnected branches with at least one profile which says that the person in the profile was born or died in that country. (The reports are updated weekly.)
Related Projects and Groups
The following projects and groups are likely to have some overlap with this one, so members of this project may be interested in them as well:
This page was last modified 16:25, 9 April 2020. This page has been accessed 13,243 times.