Project: County Kerry
Part of the Irish Roots Project
- Motto - Comhar, Cabhair, Cairdeas - Co-operation, Help, Friendship
- Country - Ireland
- Province - Munster
- County town - Tralee
- Area Total - 4,746 km2 (1,832 sq mi)
- Area rank - 5th
- Population - 145,502
- Rank - 14th
- Irish name - Contae Chiarraí
Welcome to the County Kerry Sub-Project
How to Join
Leader: Maggie N. If you would like to be involved in the County Kerry project, please do the following:
- Add COUNTY_KERRY to your list of followed tags. That way you'll see all our discussions in your G2G Feed
- Add the line [[Category:County Kerry Project]] to the text area of your profile page. This will add you to the list of participants on the Category page
- Add your name to the list below if you want to help improve profiles ( including your own family ) in the County Kerry project.
ANYONE can contact us or ask questions & comments here at G2G
About the project
I am Maggie N. and welcome any WikiTree members. I started this project because 100 percent of my Irish roots come from County Kerry, specifically West Kerry. I have researched my Irish roots for over 30 years and I want to share what has helped me. Before the internet, I was snail-mailing the National Library of Ireland for sources on my family roots. The church records were not even on microfilm so I wrote to parishes individually. Two years ago, I completed the Ireland series courses by Sherry Irvine at the Pharos Tutors Institute.
Today, we are blessed that Ancestry and Find My Past have indexed many church records for their databases. We are also indebted to the National Library of Ireland for uploading the Roman Catholic church records at their website. I have had great success on the Government of Ireland's site Irish Genealogy as well.
Not all Irish genealogy website have Kerry indexes or records. I will only include resources for finding Kerry folks. If you need assistance or tips for finding your Kerry-born ancestor or assistance locating Kerry ancestors on WikiTree and you would also like to help with the project, ANYONE can contact me or ask questions & comments here at G2G
As for the County Kerry project or your own Kerry ancestors on WikiTree, any improvements you can make to the profiles are welcome, but we do have some specific goals:
- All duplicates merged into lowest number
- regional categories added
- templates added if available
- Add necessary sources if you find them.
- biography cleaned up and written, using the WikiTree Style Guide (can work with Profile Improvement Project for help)
- Attached to the big collaborative WikiTree family tree ( See http://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Connection_Finder )
Participants in the County Kerry Sub-Project
- Thom Anderson - Most of my Irish ancestors are from County Kerry
- Susan McCall - I am interested in quite a few lineages in Kerry mostly a Huguenot family named Dumas. Here is Henry Dumas that I have been researching. I also have done a bit on the Knights of Kerry Lineage. Maurice FitzGerald
- Donna (Cusack) McAleese -
- Thomas Jones -
- Susan McNamee-
- Tom Condon -
- Anita Brosnihan -
- Jana Shea - Shea, Cahill and Brosnihan lines are from Kerry (Tralee and Ballymacelligott).
- Ken Viall -
- Kevin Jewell - Purcell and Dillon
- John Falvey - John has been researching old records sourcing S.T. McCarthy's "The Mahonys of Kerry"
- Sheila McCarthy The Maharees region.
- Rick Butler Ballyheigue. Surnames Barry, Delaney. Halloran, Savage, Barrett, and Greany.
- Judith Hoffman - Upper Ballygamboon, Castlemaine. Surnames: Sullivan, Clifford.
- Sue Martin - Knights of Kerry, Fitzgeralds, Herberts of Muckross and Dumas family of Cloghereen..
Everyone is encouraged to work on some aspects of profile improvement, especially for profiles of county Kerry origins, and especially for your own Kerry roots !
These are for Irish profiles you find that need sources, family links or connections to the BIG GLOBAL tree , please add these categories ! Thanks so much from the little fairy elves.
For Kerry folks not connected to the WikiTree ~
For Kerry folks who lost their family members )-:
[[Category: Irish Unlinked Profiles]]
For Kerry profiles that need sources !
[[Category: Kerry Unsourced Profiles]]
What I am up to in Kerry Projects
Alongside with finding sources for Kerry profiles, I also have been involved with a couple small projects of my own. There are a bunch of Kerry-based profiles that were uploaded in 2011. The research done is impeccable but because they are long and wordy, they have with some error reports. I have been formatting them (keeping all the research notes intact ) so they do not get edited accidentally by data doctors ( See Project:Data Doctors ) or an EditBot. Data Doctors are great volunteers, by the way.
The creator of these Kerry Profiles is William Romanski (wdromanski). The World Connect site is labeled "1 March 2009". Last update was on 2017-08-04. I gathered, adopted what I could on WikiTree from the William Romanski's GEDCOM titled GEDCOM 1727: Ancestors 2011.GED. There are a lot of Kerry ones and so I created a category of the ones I still need to "polish". Because he has every bit of Kerry sources available, I think this small project is worth my time and preserving them for anyone that are related to them.
Another project is getting profiles created from S.T. McCarthy's "The Mahonys of Kerry" and connecting them to WikiTree. John Falvey has been sourcing these profiles diligently.
Resources for County Kerry Genealogy
You can contribute some links for County Kerry research or send the links to me ~ thanks (-:
This page was last modified 03:05, 14 February 2019. This page has been accessed 939 times.