Are you just getting started with DNA and don't know where to start? Visit How to Get Started with DNA.
|WikiTree founder Chris Whitten (R) strategizing with Dr. Tim Janzen|
on how to further integrate DNA into WikiTree.
- Leaders: Kay Wilson, Mags Gaulden and Peter Roberts
- Coordinators: Emma MacBeath,
- Answer our G2G welcome feed to join the DNA project and get a badge.
- Add dna to your followed tags.
- We use email@example.com for communication-follow that link to join us!
- Check out our maintenance categories for our project needs, then jump in and start helping!
- Look at one of the DNA project's example profiles to see what we hope for in profiles that are part of our project. Other excellent examples from our project and others can be found in the Examples Gallery.
DNA is the new frontier of genealogy. It has become an important part of WikiTree's mission to connect the human family on one accurate single family tree. The DNA Project is a simple way to organize those of us who are interested in how WikiTree can integrate DNA test results on the limbs we share on WikiTree, as well as finding ways to expand the use of genealogical DNA on WikiTree. Project members take primary responsibility for performing project tasks and helping members with DNA related questions, offering assistance as needed.
For the full list of current DNA Project participants, see the badge report.
Check out the the Project Task list below to find something to help us work on, and add yourself (or ask one of us to) to that task:
- Some tasks are not alphabetical
|Tasks||A to G or All||H to M or All||N to T or All||U to Z or All|
|Privacy Level Change Message||David D||Connie G||Connie G||Meghan R|
|Privacy Level Change Message|
|Check of Test Information Validity - Are Kit ID's correct||Kay||Janis Tomko||Brandi Morgan|
|Check of Test Information Validity - Are Kit ID's correct, etc.|
|Check of DNA Confirmation Suggestions||Kay||Peter||Mags Gaulden|
|Check of DNA Triangulations - Awarding Triangulators Badge||Kay||Peter||Mags Gaulden|
|Check of DNA Triangulations - Awarding Triangulators Badge|
|Ask Testers to Add Mitosearch or Ysearch ID||Thomas Anderson completed ySearch notice for A-G||Erik Swanson|
|Posting Welcome Message to DNA Tested Badge Holders||Charlotte||Charlotte||Charlotte||Charlotte|
|Creating and maintaining a DNA Resource Page - WikiTree||Mags||Laura Bozzay||Rob Jacobson|
|Creating and maintaining a DNA Resource Page - External||Mags||Laura Bozzay|
|Integrators - G2G Resources and information||Peter||Mags||Kay||Veronica Williams|
|Integrators - G2G Resources and information|
|Recruiting - Project Coordinators, Working Project Members||Mags||Kay||Peter||Emma|
|Introductions - Genetic Genealogists, Others in Genetic Genealogy Field||Peter||Pamela|
|DNA Helpers--Answering Questions in G2G||Peter||Edison Williams|
|DNA Helpers||Darlene Athey Hill||Emma MacBeath||Milton Davis||Veronica Williams|
|DNA Helpers||Janis Tomko||Brandi Morgan||April Rarick|
Please post messages to confirmed members ONLY - no messages on guest profiles please.
There are members who struggle a bit to understand DNA and how we use DNA here on WikiTree. As a DNA Helper you will be available to step in and help beyond what our members read in our help pages and resource pages. With one-on-one time you'll be able to guide someone through the steps of DNA testing and understanding their results. This will be especially helpful to the WikiTree Adoption Angels Project as some of these WikiTree members have no background in Genealogy.
LiveCast DNA Help
- DNA 1 - Getting Started WATCH Getting Started with DNA on WikiTree
- DNA 2 - DNA Matching WATCH WikiTree and DNA Matching
- DNA 3 - DNA Features WikiTree and DNA Watch DNA Features on WikiTree
- DNA 4 - Confirmation WATCH WikiTree and DNA - DNA Confirmation
- DNA 5 - Categorization WATCH WikiTree and DNA - Categorization
- DNA 6 - Third Party Sites WATCH WikiTree and DNA - Third Party DNA Sites and WikiTree
Privacy Level Change Message
- Privacy Change Sample Message:
When you post DNA test information on a WikiTree profile, WikiTree needs to be able to see the profile Family Tree Tab (top of WikiTree Profile) to make DNA connections down the ancestral lines.
I would like to recommend that you change the privacy level on this profile and all of the ancestors to be at a level that allows everyone to see the Family Tree tab. Click the "Privacy" tab and set your level to "Private with public tree" or "Private with public biography and tree".
For further information on the available Privacy levels needed to facilitate this, please see [https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Privacy Wikitree privacy controls]
- When contacting people, post your messages in their public comment box so others can see if contact has already been made.
- Please post messages to confirmed members ONLY - no messages on guest profiles please
mtDNA Tested List
If their privacy level is red Private or "Private with Public Biography" then their mtDNA information is not automatically associated with their direct maternal line:
Y-DNA Tested List
If their privacy level is red Private or Private with Public Biography then their Y-DNA information is not associated with their direct paternal line:
auDNA Tested List
If their privacy level is red Private or "Private with Public Biography" then it is exceedingly difficult for their autosomal DNA matching cousins to determine the shared ancestry.
- autosomal DNA test with Family Tree DNA
- 1 to 11,000 autosomal DNA test with 23andMe
- 11,001 to 22,000 autosomal DNA test with 23andMe
- 1 to 11,000 autosomal DNA tested with AncestryDNA,
- 11,001 to 22,000 autosomal DNA tested with AncestryDNA
- 22,001 to 33,000 autosomal DNA tested with AncestryDNA
- autosomal DNA test with an other lab
Check of Test Information Validity
This is something in the works. Peter and I will be working on this task along with Aleš Trtnik to alleviate some of the user errors on the DNA information they input. In the Until we get some automated lists in place please look for oddities in ID'd, like GEDmatch Id's for:
- FTDNA Kits should be T123456 or Z123456
- 23and Me should be M123456
- Ancestry Kits should be A123456
- My Heritage Kits should be H123456
- Google Sheet to verify GEDmatch Id's. Please ask a leader for access to this.
- GEDmatch ID Mistake Sample Message:
- "Hey ,
- I am working with the DNA Project. Noticed you have something a bit amiss in your GEDmatch number. Would you verify it please?
- Once you find the right number you can update your GEDmatch ID number by clicking on the My WikiTree Menu top right of your profile page, then click on DNA confirmation. Then click on the DNA test tab at the top of that page, then click the edit or enter more detail button on the right.
- Your Name"
When contacting people, post your messages in their public comment box so others can see if contact has already been made.
DNA Confirmations Citations
Volunteers need to check to make sure DNA Confirmations have the source/citation to back up the confirmation on profiles.
In order to mark a parent "confirmed with DNA" on WikiTree you need a statement on the child’s profile explaining how you used DNA to confirm the relationship. Information about all of the DNA tests used for the confirmation need to be entered on the profiles of the test-takers, and each of the test-takers’ profiles needs to have a privacy level of at "private with public biography and family tree" so that people not on the trusted list can see the test information.
See these pages for how to document marking parental relationships "confirmed with DNA":
When contacting people, post your messages in their public comment box so others can see if contact has already been made.
Messages to Correct Confirmed with DNA suggestions
The DNA Project is working to make sure all of our members are using DNA to further their genealogy. One facet of that is making sure our WikiTreers are using the Confirmed with DNA field according to ISOGG (International Society of Genetic Genealogists) Standards.
We have an easy flow page describing the steps to use when marking any profile as confirmed with DNA. You will find it here: https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Help:DNA_Confirmation
Many of your profiles are marked as confirmed with DNA but there is no citation showing how the confirmation was obtained. Like this example for a FTDNA Family Finder match third cousin or closer: * Maternal relationship is confirmed by a 1417.42 cM Family Finder match between Peter Roberts and his maternal uncle Dekle-6.
Or if it's further than third cousin, using triangulation: * Paternal relationship is confirmed by a triangulated group consisting of Peter Roberts GEDmatch T412069, Kris Sjostrom GEDmatch A936004 and Elizabeth Collins GEDmatch T688604 sharing a 10.8 cM segment on chromosome 1 from 163621974 to 173712569.
If you are using YDNA you would use this citation: * Paternal relationship is confirmed through Y-chromosome DNA testing. Anonymous Roberts and Peter J. Roberts match on 36 out of 37 markers (see YSearch IDs 9WCMS and 97ZDB) thereby confirming their direct paternal lines back to their MRCA Thomas W. Roberts.
Please read through the Confirmation help page and work to add your citations or remove the DNA confirmed status from profiles for which you do not have sufficient matches to create a citation.
Thank you for working to help us grow the most accurate World Tree possible. Questions or help? Just ask!
Suggestion Reports to track contact status
Contacted for Suggestions
We don't want to double do our suggestions contact so add who you have contacted to this list.
|Lynden Rodrieguez||no||yes||suggestions corrected for Warine Lusignan||yes||Gaulden-7 17:24, 19 September 2017 (EDT)|
Ask mtDNA Testers to add their MitoSearch ID
1. Find mtDNA testers who do not have a MitoSearch ID.
- List of mtDNA testers who said they tested with Family Tree DNA
- List of mtDNA testers from other companies
- List of mtDNA testers from Ancestry
2. If they tested with Family Tree DNA, then they may already be in MitoSearch. Check MitoSearch to discover if they have a MitoSeach ID. Peter will add instructions for how to do that
Ask yDNA Testers to add their Ysearch ID
1. Find yDNA testers who do not have a Ysearch ID.
- List of yDNA testers who said they tested with Family Tree DNA
- List of yDNA testers from other companies
- List of yDNA testers from Ancestry
2. If they tested with Family Tree DNA, then they may already be in Ysearch. Check Ysearch to discover if they have a Ysearch ID. Peter will add instructions for how to do that
Posting Welcome Message to DNA Tested Badge Holders
Kitty has been doing this for... well. forever. She is great at it, but we might be able to jump in to help her with posting the great DNA welcome messages to the people when they first get their DNA tested badge.
Creating and Maintaining a DNA Resource Pages
We will be rolling our DNA resources lists on this page off to their own pages. Help by keeping the resource pages up-to-date and organized.
Integrators - G2G Resources and information
Follow DNA in our G2G Forum and integrate Questions and Answers into our DNA Project, DNA Help and DNA Resources pages.
Introductions - Genetic Genealogists, Others in Genetic Genealogy Field
WikiTree does something with DNA that no other website or program does. Period. What we want to do is introduce this concept, this ability to the greater genealogical community so they "get it". If you blog, tweet, Facebook, or talk at your local genealogical society, talk about WikiTree and DNA. Bring people in and show them how we work. Show them how incredible our Great Big Ole shared Tree is.
COMING SOON - but I can give little you a hint...
Know how to and have mastered the concept of DNA triangulation and have added appropriate citations for each parent child relationship for three or more distantly related cousins (on each of their ancestral lines) back to (but not including) their shared ancestral couple all matching each other on the same segment measuring 7 or more cM?
At the same time do you show an understanding of the concept of DNA Confirmations in general and have posted correct Citations to any of your DNA confirmed relationships which are marked as confirmed with DNA?
There might be something spiffy and bright to add to your profile soon :-).
This Space page lists our members bright ideas, or wish list for things we'd like to put forward to the Community and the team for discussion and possible incorporation into WikiTree. We can hash-out our Ideas and get them ready to post in a concise manner to G2G.
Here is a list we started:
- Icon in lists on WikiTree indicating a Profile has DNA connections - DNA connected Profile.
- auDNA match icon (by clicking a radio button) to those people in WikiTree who are an autosomal match with you?
- An easier way to get to your DNA tests information page.
- Automation of table entry
WikiTree DNA Project at FTDNA
We have our own WikiTree DNA Project at Family Tree DNA. Here is the DNA stats page for our project! Join us if you have tested with FTDNA it's quick and easy.
Sub Project List
|Sub-Project||Project Point||Notes||G2G link to Discussion|
|BY3290 SNP Project||Earl Davis||Create profiles for the earliest BY3290 ancestor in each lineage.||BY3290 is a YDNA SNP that may have arose around 1,000 years ago|
- WikiTree Resources
- External Resources
Sub Project Space Pages Template
Please use this Template Page to create any sub-project or project space pages. Please leave the structure and non-project specific information in place while adding project specific information and graphics into the formatted page.
This page was last modified 09:24, 2 November 2017. This page has been accessed 46,837 times.