Välkommen till projekt Finland!
The mission of the Finland Project is to unite people of Finland and those of Finnish descent in one place.
We want to help those who want to explore their Finnish roots further. We will have a tight collaboration with Project Sweden as Finland was a part of Sweden until 1809 and many families are part of both projects, especially among nobles, clergy and along the border area.
How to Join
- Leaders: Juha Soini and Maggie Andersson
- Answer our G2G welcome post to join the Finland project and get a badge.
- Add FINLAND to your followed tags.
- We use Project Finland Google Group for communication.
- Check out our maintenance categories for our project needs, then jump in and start helping!
- Here is the Finland project's Error List. Working on these is a great way to contribute.
- Finland Project Member List.
- Here is what our members are working on.
- Make a tri-lingual introduction to Finland, different sub projects and categories.
- Make a universal help page in Finnish explaining how WikiTree works.
- Unifying the (top) category pages in different languages. Suomi Finland (swedish) Finland (english)
- Add selected and relevant parts of above mentioned category pages to this page.
- Adding categories for the 19 regions and sub-categories for as many parish categories possible. The category suggestions have been proposed to the Categorisation Project and will then be posted to G2G.
- Start adding and cleaning profiles of prominent Finns, starting with the Presidents of Finland
- Done Make a category page explaining the division and archive locations of divided parishes along the new border line 1809. See Parishes divided 1809
- Done Have stickers made that identify people who a) lived in Finland and b) have Finnish roots. See Finland Sticker and Finnish Roots sticker
- A long term goal is that no profile associated to Finland will be unsourced, lacking biography or have duplicates.
Project Box should be used only on profiles that will need project protection (PPP) and management by the Finland Project. Examples of this sort of profile include Notables, Progenitors of family lines, and those with name disputes that risk being merged incorrectly. Otherwise, use the Finland Project sticker.
- Please do not use country or region categories on individuals. Parish categories are preferred unless they get too crowded, in which case village categories and eventually farm categories can be used. If a person is notable, please see instructions @ Project:Notables
- The information in location fields for a profile should be in the order of (farm), village, parish, region, country. Example: Stackskär, Lemland, Åland, Finland. Please use comma as separator. Both Finnish and Swedish place names are allowed as Finland is a bilingual country. We use Finland or Suomi to describe the "Land of Finns" disregarding what country may have been ruling through history.
- All given names go into the First Name field. Patronym goes into the Middle Name field unless there is no farm or last name. In that case the patronym is Last Name At Birth and Middle Name should be left empty. More information on Finnish naming policy @ Space:Finnish_names
- Please make sure all the Finnish profiles you manage are sourced. You can find links to Finnish sources @ Space:How_to_start_researching_in_Finland and for more advanced sources Space:Finland_genealogical_resources
- If you are interested in starting a team to better some aspect of Project Finland, please bring it up in our Google group.
Space pages for subprojects:
Finnish and Swedish pages are under construction.
Finska och Svenska sidor är under arbete.
Suomalaiset ja Ruotsalaiset sivut ovat työn alla.
This page was last modified 00:38, 2 December 2018. This page has been accessed 1,602 times.