Project: Irish Roots
The Irish Roots Project and the Ireland Project have been merged into one project.
This project is the effort of a group of WikiTree users interested in profiles related to Irish people and their descendants around the globe. The leaders of this project are Leigh Murrin and Maria Maxwell, (click their names to contact them by private message). For a full list of participants, see the badge report.
- Leaders: Maria Maxwell and Leigh Murrin
- Coordinators: Richard Devlin
- Answer our G2G welcome post to join the Irish Roots project and get a badge.
- Add irish_roots to your followed tags.
- We use the Google Group for the Irish Roots Project for communication.
- Check out our maintenance categories for our project needs, then jump in and start helping!
- Here is the Irish Roots project's Error List. Working on these is a great way to contribute.
- Look at one of the Irish Roots project's example profiles to see what we hope for in profiles that are part of our project. Other excellent examples from our project and others can be found in the Examples Gallery.
- Irish Roots Project Member List.
- Here is what our members are working on.
Any improvements you can make to the profiles of the Irish Roots Project are welcome, but here are some specific goals we're working towards:
- For each person:
- All duplicates merged into the final lowest profile ID number.
- Irish Roots template included on the page for profiles of special note to the project only and where profile management is shared by the Project (See Templates below)
- All relevant categories are added (see here for guidance on creating geographic categories in Ireland) and new ones created where none previously existed.
- Parents are correct and documented
- Unsourced Irish profiles where life events may be recorded in the free Irish Civil Registration Records are fixed.
- Work on cleaning up profiles that sit in the Irish Roots Profile Maintenance Categories and DB Errors list (see below for the list of current database errors).
- Biography is cleaned up, free of any GEDCOM junk, Ancestry trees, etc., and ideally has an actual written biography.
- Stickers are added to profiles where appropriate (see below)
Project members can take primary responsibility for a specific Irish surname (start a one name study!!) and work on merging duplicates, cleaning up profiles, adding sources, and removing incorrect information.
- Earl Grey's Famine Orphan Scheme 1848-1850 - the leader for this sub project is Veronica Williams.
- Irish Slaves, Convicts and Indentured Servants - leader of this sub-project is Leigh Murrin. This sub-project is focused on building up resources and profiles for Irish people transported as convicts to North America, the Caribbean and Australia or who worked as slaves and indentured servants overseas.
- O'Neill Dynasty and O'Neill Name Study - by Summer O. Summer is leading a project looking at the O'Neill family lines and dynasty in Ireland. This project is an example of the close links between Irish Name Studies and Irish Roots.
- Irish Military Diaspora led by Richard Devlin and Valerie Willis.
- Irish Kingdoms and their Kings - the leader for this sub-project is Valerie Willis
- Time Line Irish History - Rich Devlin
Please make suggestions and let the Irish Roots project leaders know if you are willing to co-ordinate a sub project. If you have already created a free space project which fits our Project please list it here.
- David Loring - working on Irish placename categories and Irish cemetery categories.
Other Irish related Projects
- County Galway - A leader is needed
- County Leitrim
- County Mayo
- County Roscommon
- County Sligo
- County Carlow
- County Dublin
- County Kildare
- County Kilkenny
- County Laois
- County Longford
- County Louth
- County Meath
- County Offaly
- County Westmeath
- County Wexford
- County Wicklow
- County Antrim - A leader is needed
- County_Armagh - A leader is needed
- County Cavan - A leader is needed
- County Donegal - the leader for this sub-project is Jason Cottrell
- County_Down - A leader is needed
- County Fermanagh - the leader for this sub projcet is Maria Maxwell
- County Londonderry - A leader is needed
- County Monaghan - A leaderis needed
- County Tyrone - A leader is needed
Ireland and Irish Counties
Template for the Irish Roots Project
Please use the following template to indicate a profile that is project protected and 'managed by the Irish Roots Project. The template should only be used for profiles that are of special note to the remit of the project (eg project protected profiles) and should not be used to indicate general Irish ancestry or that someone came from Ireland.
||... ... ... is a profile under management of a member of the Irish Roots Project.|
Join: Irish Roots Project
Stickers for use on Irish Profiles
You can use the following Sticker on profiles where the person was born in Ireland:
You can use the following Sticker on profiles where the person has Irish ancestry:
Irish Genealogy - External Resources and Research Help
Check out our Helpful Links for Irish Genealogy Research page. This page is cumulated by the project members and contains direct links to many online tools to help you expand your research further.
Related Projects and Groups
The following projects and groups are likely to have some overlap with this one, so members of this project may be interested in them as well:
Here is the current list of database errors in the Irish Roots Project. All members are encouraged to work on cleaning up the Irish profiles.
Please click on the links below to find the latest set of Database Errors.
Suggestion report for Ireland. There were 14877 suggestions on 2018-12-02.
Table prepared at 05.12.2018 1:16:56 (Slovenian time). Condition to prepare list (Country is Ireland).
Irish Roots Project
Suggestion report for Irish Roots Project. There were 23 suggestions on 2018-12-02.
|23 Suggestions on 20181202||Total||0000-0000||0001-1499||1500-1699||1700-1799||1800-1899||1900-1999||2000-9999||Open||New|
|305 Mother too young or not born||1||1||1|
|113 Duplicate in relatives||2||1||1||2|
|511 Unique names (spelling)||4||1||2||1||4|
|845 Direct usage of base templates||1||1||1|
|553 Wikidata - Empty birth date||1||1||1|
|555 Wikidata - Different birth date||2||1||1||2|
|564 Wikidata - Possible father||1||1||1||1|
|568 Wikidata - Unconnected branches to global tree||7||7||7|
|569 Wikidata - Unconnected orphans to global tree||4||4||4|
Table prepared at 04.12.2018 23:37:11 (Slovenian time). Condition to prepare list (Manager is WikiTree-34).
Irish Roots Project Google Community
See: Google + Community and/or
Irish Roots Project Google Group
for a location for project members and others to comment or raise issues regarding the project. Our G2G location is the best place to post queries regarding research.
This page was last modified 14:31, 4 December 2018. This page has been accessed 28,233 times.