Project: Irish Roots
The Irish Roots Project and the Ireland Project are the same
This project is the effort of a group of WikiTree users interested in profiles related to Irish people and the Irish diaspora. The leaders of this project are Maria Maxwell, Leigh Murrin and Doug Straiton (click their names to contact them by private message). For a full list of participants, see the badge report.
How to Join the Project
If you would like to be involved in the Irish Roots project, please do the following:
- Add irish_roots to your list of followed tags. That way you'll see all of our discussions in your G2G Feed.
- Answer our G2G joining post to join and receive your badge.
- Add your name to the list on the Irish Roots Member Interests page, let us know what your Irish research interests are and how you would like to contribute to the project.
Any improvements you can make to the profiles of the Irish Roots Project are welcome, but here are some specific goals we're working towards:
- For each person:
- All duplicates merged into the final lowest profile ID number.
- Final ID locked, marking the profile as project protected where appropriate, (must be done by one of the Leaders)
- Irish Roots template included on the page for profiles of special note to the project only (See Templates below)
- All relevant categories are added (see here for guidance on creating geographic categories in Ireland) and new ones created where none previously existed.
- Parents are correct and documented
- Unsourced Irish profiles where life events may be recorded in the free Irish Civil Registration Records are fixed.
- Work on cleaning up profiles that sit in the Irish Roots Profile Maintenance Categories and DB Errors list (see below for the list of current database errors).
- Biography is cleaned up, free of any GEDCOM junk, Ancestry trees, etc., and ideally has an actual written biography.
Project members can take primary responsibility for a specific Irish surname (start a one name study!!) and work on merging duplicates, cleaning up profiles, adding sources, and removing incorrect information.
- The Ireland Project - leaders are Maria, Leigh and Doug. The purpose of this project is to provide additional information and materials about Ireland, its history and culture to facilitate the development of profiles under management of the Irish Roots Project.
- County Cork - the leader for this sub-project is Sharon Troy Centanne
- County Donegal - the leader for this sub-project is Jason Cottrell
- County Kerry - the leader for this sub-project is Maggie N
- Earl Grey's Famine Orphan Scheme 1848-1850 - the leader for this sub project is Veronica Williams.
- Irish Slaves, Convicts and Indentured Servants - leader of this sub-project is Leigh Murrin. This sub-project is focused on building up resources and profiles for Irish people transported as convicts to North America, the Caribbean and Australia or who worked as slaves and indentured servants overseas.
- O'Neill Dynasty and O'Neill Name Study - by Summer O. Summer is leading a project looking at the O'Neill family lines and dynasty in Ireland. This project is an example of the close links between Irish Name Studies and Irish Roots.
- County Antrim
- County Sligo
Please make suggestions and let the project leaders know if you are willing to co-ordinate the sub project A sub-project on the Bagot/Bigod family from 1066 to present should be of interest to the many persons with Irish heritage. I am working on that family now, and am prepared to lead such a project.
Template for the Irish Roots Project
Please use the following template to indicate a profile that is part of the Irish Roots Project. The template should only be used for profiles that are of special note to the remit of the project (eg project protected profiles) and should not be used to indicate general Irish ancestry or that someone came from Ireland.
||... ... ... is a profile created by a member of the Irish Roots Project.|
Join: Irish Roots Project
Irish Genealogy - External Resources and Research Help
Check out our Helpful Links for Irish Genealogy Research page. This page is cumulated by the project members and contains direct links to many online tools to help you expand your research further.
Participating Leaders for PPP or other Assistance
Related Projects and Groups
The following projects and groups are likely to have some overlap with this one, so members of this project may be interested in them as well:
Here is the current list of database errors in the Irish Roots Project. All members are encouraged to work on cleaning up the Irish profiles.
Please click on the links below to find the latest set of Database Errors.
Irish Roots Project Google Community
See: Google + Community and/or
Irish Roots Project Google Group
for a location for project members and others to comment or raise issues regarding the project. Our G2G location is the best place to post queries regarding research.
This page was last modified 11:36, 9 August 2017. This page has been accessed 17,199 times.