Project: Manitoba Cemeteries
The goal of this project is to photograph every tombstone in every cemetery in Manitoba! Plus, we want to transcribe the information on those tombstones, and create WikiTree profiles for all those people. This is a huge undertaking, but one that is definitely worthwhile. If you can contribute to this project in any way, whether photographing tombstones and making the images available on WikiTree, transcribing images, creating profiles, or any combination of those tasks, we'd love to have your help!
The leader of this sub-project is Lianne Lavoie. If you would like to participate, please do the following:
- Add cemeteries to your list of followed tags.
- Ask Lianne to award you the Cemeterist badge.
- Add your name to the list of current participants below, along with a note about how you would like to contribute to the project.
- Lianne Lavoie - I live in Winnipeg, so my focus is on cemeteries there. I am also photographing cemeteries in areas outside of Winnipeg as I get the opportunities, especially in the nearby R.M.s of West St. Paul, St. Andrews, St. Clements, Gimli, Headingley, St. Francois Xavier, Ritchot, Morris, and Springfield.
- Robin (Dudgeon) Helstrom - I live in Portage la Prairie and have mostly been focusing on adding family members as I find them but I am also more than willing to do look ups in my area as well. :)
See the Progress page for a list of cemeteries that are completed or in progress.
It's important that cemetery categories are named in accordance with the standards decided on by the Categorization Project. In the case of Manitoba cemeteries, that means Category:Cemetery Name, City or Town or Village or RM, Manitoba.
Examples of correctly named Manitoba cemetery categories:
- Category:St Boniface Oblate Fathers' Cemetery, Winnipeg, Manitoba
- Category:All Saints Cemetery, West St. Paul, Manitoba
- Category:Pine Ridge Cemetery, Springfield, Manitoba
So that Category:Manitoba Cemeteries does not become too crowded, cemetery categories should be subcategorised by city, town, village, or rural municipality.
Note that communities that are part of a rural municipality are not named in the category names. Instead, the name of the RM is used. Cities, towns, and villages, however, are not actually part of their surrounding RMs, so their names are used in the categories.
If you have any questions about this, feel free to ask Lianne!
- Category:Manitoba Cemeteries - The Manitoba Cemeteries category is split into subcategories by city, town, or rural municipality. Within those subcategories are categories for each cemetery.
- Project:Manitoba - The Manitoba Project focuses on famous/notable Manitobans. There will be crossover between these two projects when we come across the graves of famous Manitobans.
- Map of Cemeteries in Manitoba - This is a work in progress, but should be helpful to anyone who is going on a road trip and wants to see what cemeteries are on their way. I haven't visited the vast majority of these, so can make no guarantees as to accuracy, though I've done the best I can based on info available online. Points that show up green instead of red have already been fully photographed.
Is there a cemetery in Manitoba that you want photographed? Let us know! We can't promise that a project member will be able to get to it, but if we are, this way we'll know to prioritise it.
To make a cemetery request, ask a question on G2G here. Use the cemeteries tag. Please include the name of the cemetery, the location if you know it, and any information you can provide about any specific tombstones you're looking for.
Requests made on G2G will then be listed here for easy reference.
This page was last modified 22:12, 20 May 2018. This page has been accessed 1,194 times.