Project: Native Americans
The mission of the project is to add and improve profiles of Native Americans. Project members take primary responsibility for relevant profiles or family groups and work on merging duplicates, cleaning up profiles, adding sources, removing incorrect information and offer research assistance as needed.
How to Join
To see our current members, please see the list below
To join the project:
- Ask the project leader M. Gaulden to add the project badge.
- Add the line [[Category:Native Americans Project]] to the text area of your profile page. This will add you to the list of participants on the Category page.
- Add native_americans to your G2G tag feed and to any discussions in G2G involving the Native Americans project or any of its sub-projects.
- Check out the To-Do list below to find something to help us work on, and add yourself (or ask one of us to) to that task.
- Please join the Google Mail Group for the WikiTree Native American Project
- For each person:
- All duplicates merged into lowest number
- PPP added only for individuals who are historically significant or are the subject of many merges.
- pertaining categories added
- templates added
- biography cleaned up and written, using the WikiTree Style Guide (can work with Profile Improvement Project for help)
- Attached family meets these goals, too
- Attached to the main WikiTree family tree (ask the GFR for help)
- Identify all Profiles which may be mythical in nature, add disputed profile section and subsections for adding Native American and Mainstream Sources per the Genealogical Proof Standards (GPS).
The Native Americans Project is a "top level" project that encompasses sub-projects according to tribe, event or other area of historical or cultural interest. The geographic scope will be lower 48 states plus Alaska in North America. The time frame will cover pre-colonial until the present. This project serves as a central directory of all that is going on in the sub-projects.
Add your name to the list below, along with a note about what you're working on in this project right now.
- Gerald I continue to research and profile my Metis family members. My current focuses are the Maumee and Sioux Nations. I am researching Cherokee, Choctaw, Natchez, Biloxi and Chickasaw Indian nations especially circa 1720-1820 and Winnebago Indian nation circa 1800-1847. Baraboo-1 16:27, 24 October 2016 (EDT)
- Mags - Leader - I will answer any question asked, even if it's to send you to someone else who knows the right answer. DNA.
- Seneca Drybread/Marc Snelling - Project Coordinator. Answering questions and working to add and improve profiles. DNA.
- Paula -
- Maggie - New York State tribes. Also keeping an eye on new Native American profiles to make sure they are sourced/categorized properly.
- Brian Wagnon - working on adding profiles, cleaning up profiles and I am here to help anyone else who has questions about Native American things
- Linda Fearn- Working specifically on the Bay of Quinte,Iroquois Bear Clan, Mohawks, First Nations,Ontario, Hastings , Caughnawaga Que(Kahnawake Que. ... A – L |Akwesasne, Kahnawake, Kanehsatake, Ohsweken, Aronghyengtha Tyendinaga Reservation, ont, canada and Up State, New York my Ancestors.
- Lance Foster Member of the Iowa Tribe of the Kansas and Nebraska, and Tribal Historic Preservation Officer, White Cloud, KS. Working specifically on the Iowa Tribe, but with interest also in the Otoe-Missouria, Omaha, Sac and Fox, and Great Nemaha Halfbreed Tract of Nebraska descendants. May be of some assistance regarding other nations and general Native American culture and history.
- Brian Ward- working on descendants of Powhatan as they relate to WV
- Elizabeth Nesbitt - Available to help with a broad range of American Indian issues of documentation. Working on recruiting Tribal members to participate in WikiTree and Native American project. Also particularly interested in Tribes in Indian Territories of Indiana, Michigan and Illinois.
- Carleton Procter I'm primarily interested in the Wampanoag, and Nauset, -their Peoples, Cultures, Languages, Tribes, and Clans. Also the Lenni Lenape, Abenaki, Massachusett, and others too, as they present themselves in my research. I'm Generally interested though in all Indigenous, Aboriginal, Native Peoples and their Cultures around the World, and the importance of preserving, encouraging, and celebrating them. There may be as many as 1,000,000 or more, separate, distinct, Native Peoples and Cultures, Past and Present, around the World. It would be great if they all (Individual persons, and Tribes/Peoples) could be represented here on wikitree.com
- Denyse Baham - I am currently working on adding to WikiTree people with Native American ancestry who match my Native American DNA. My DNA is 9% Native American, and I have finally gotten confirmation that I am part Choctaw. I am on a mission to learn as much about the Choctaw Nation as I can, and create profiles for as many Choctaw people as I can.
- Lynden Raber Castle Rodriguez - I have only been lately aware of a specific Native American heritage, although my mother always suspected. But she would never have guessed our descendancy from Pocahontas. She would have been so thrilled. Even so, my interest will be quite general, although I want to take the time to learn more about Pocahontas.
- Nancy Landers Currently working on a line of Métis, that begins in Choika (Illinois) which includes Yankton Sioux, Ioway, interpreters, and signatories of some Sioux Treaties. Part of that line ends up at Cumberland House, in Saskatchewan, Canada. Gathering the information has been an eye opening journey of its own.
- Lorie Christian - 2015, December: Nothing right now
- Kenneth Shelton Native American, Cherokee.
- Hatfield-1242 Working on learning more and linking profiles to the Quapaw, Seneca-Cayuga, Eastern Shawnee, Wyandotte, Peoria, Cheyenne, Cherokee, and Choctaw Tribes
- Lisa Murphy Kelsey-745 Joseph Brant and the Mohawks, also have other family that I am trying to locate tribe info for and work on all other Native information as I come upon it.
- Monday-93 Working on Cherokee Nancy Adair that married Charles Reese. Have her father as Noah Drowning Bear and mother Nanokatechee. Then hit a wall.... Plus will do anything else that is needed.
- Debi Adkins Longoria. Adkins-3424. I would like to help update information on the Shawnee tribe,
- Lacey-485 Working on locating the grandparents of William Nelson Dunegan. William, his parents and his grandparents were members of the Choctaw Nation. I belive I have located William's grandmother but have not been able to find much else about his maternal Nelson family line. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
- Carole Taylor Trying to find the SOURCE proof for my very great-gramma, Susan Emory-Fields who married my Grampa Richard Fields.. and along the way I found a Cherokee family that had not been added to wiki so I looked hard for them and added one of the 2.
- Casey Dennis Stimmel working on Choctaw and Cherokee roots surnames thus far are Shoemaker and Wilson.
- Amber Sanders Currently researching Osage members of the Oklahoma/Kansas territories.
||... ... ... was a Native American and member of the Ojibway tribe.|
Join: Native Americans Project
Sub Project Template Page
Mags is currently working to bring all the project pages in to line with current Project Page Guidelines. Please use this Template Page to create any sub-projects. Please leave the structure and no-project specific information in place while adding project specific information and graphics into the formatted page.
To suggest a new project page please post to the Google Mail Group
- Quick Description
WikiTree Project Native American Space Pages
- Mohave Tribe
- Muscogee (Creek)
- Nez Perce
- Seneca Tribe
Disputed, Possible Mythical Profiles
|WT ID Link||WT ID||Name||Link|
|Cornblossom||Doublehead-46||Pawalin (Cornblossom) Doublehead Troxel|
|Hokolesqua||Hokolesqua-6||Sowege Waupaathee (Hokolesqua) Shawnee|
Other Native American Space Pages
- US Civil War Project Resource Page section on Native Americans in the Civil War
- US Southern Colonies, Native Americans
- Creek War, Battles and Forts
- Creek Department of Warriors Choctaw Troops, War of 1812
Remember a lot of questions can be answered by referring to the help pages link at the top right of pages.
- Native American Space Page
- Native Americans Project Images
- Native Americans
- Federally Recognized Native American Tribes of Florida
- Seminole Tribe
- Seminole Wars
- Indian Territory
- Indigenous peoples in the United States
- Federally Recognized Native American Tribes of Oklahoma
- American Indian Wars
- American Indian Wars
- Texas-Indian Wars
- Styles and Standards Help with Styles and Standards
- Project Protecting and merging Help on PPP and Merging
- Help with Gedcoms Gedcom Help and answers
- Formatting Help with formatting on a profile
- PDF - a guide to tracing American Indian and Alaska Native Ancestry
- American Indian Tribal List
- List of Tribes, Library of Congress
- List of Federally Recognized Tribes by State
- Unrecognized Tribes of the US
- US Archives_(National)_The Five Civilized Tribes
- Wikipedia: Wikipedia Native Americans in the United States
- Indian Timeline, Native American Encyclopedia
- US GenWebProject_Native American Census_Transcribers Needed
- Allen County Public Library Genealogy Center-microfilm Indians of North America Census
This page was last modified 18:10, 10 July 2017. This page has been accessed 8,876 times.