Project: New Zealand
Categories: New Zealand Project
New Zealand Project
|New Zealand represents 1.8% of profiles here on WikiTree with over 710,000 profiles created already. You're probably wondering where New Zealand is. New Zealand is an island country in the southwestern Pacific Ocean. It consists of two main landmasses—the North Island and the South Island —and over 700 smaller islands. It is the sixth-largest island country by area, covering 268,021 square kilometres. Wikipedia 🔗|
- Project Leaders: Eowyn Walker
- Coordinators: Vacant (Categories), Vacant (Managed Profiles), Fiona McMichael (Membership), Vacant (Profile Improvements), Campbell Braddock (Project Challenges), Vacant (Topics), and Vacant (G2G Coordination).
- Answer our G2G welcome post to join the New Zealand project and get a badge.
- Add new_zealand to your followed tags.
- We use primarily the G2G Forum and Discord for communication.
The mission of the New Zealand Project is to support, research and collaboration on profiles of New Zealand people, from 1800 to now. For Māori who were living before 1800 before European settlement, please see the Māori of Aotearoa Sub-Project (Coming Soon!). Also note that due to sparse resources, the New Zealand Project may not be able to help with profiles of people born before 1840.
New Zealand Project Team
The team for fellow Kiwis like yourself is The Kiwi Crew. We participate in all WikiTree quarterly challenges. It's not all about the challenges. We have an invite-only Discord for general chats, place name discussions, New Zealand sources, and our non-genealogy social corner for anything unrelated to genealogy. This is a great place to meet like-minded friends. If you want to volunteer to help keep Wikitree and the New Zealand Project in good shape via Discord, contact Campbell Braddock.
But wait! if challenge events aren't your thing, we have two casual teams consisting of Maintenance and Topic Teams. Maintenance is all about cleaning up profiles, whether writing biographies or fixing error data. The Topics Team currently has two topics you could help with - All Blacks and Politicians. Both topics need your help to source and connect profiles to the world tree. See: New Zealand Project Teams
New Zealand Profile Notes
- Use the New Zealand Project Sticker for those who lived in New Zealand. Be sure to add the correct regional category.
- Use the Māori Sticker for those who are Māori, add the Iwi parameter if known. Māori naming conventions gives guidelines for names.
- See New Zealand for assistance with adding place names and other categories.
- The Migrating Ancestor sticker can be used to identify New Zealanders who arrived from somewhere else.
- Please don't add the New Zealand Project Box to profiles as it is reserved for profiles managed by the project. To suggest that the project protect or manage a profile please contact the project coordinators or post about it in G2G using the new_zealand tag.
- See New Zealand Project Research Resources for helpful New Zealand sources.
This page was last modified 22:42, 7 March 2023. This page has been accessed 21,670 times.