This project is the effort of a group of WikiTree users interested in profiles related to Norway throughout history.
Project members can take primary responsibility for relevant profiles or family groups and work on merging duplicates, cleaning up profiles, adding sources, and removing incorrect information. Members can join various sub-projects of specific interest or seek support from the project Leadership if it is believed a research topic is not adequately covered.
For each Profile:
- All duplicates merged into lowest number with correct Last Name At Birth
- All profiles containing appropriate source material
- Relevant Categories added where required
- Biography cleaned up and written, using the WikiTree Style Guide (can work with Profile Improvement Project for help)
In some cases, where there is dispute or there are issues that are difficult to resolve, for example, it may be necessary to manage changes through an interest group. In these cases it might require a Profile to be Project Protected. Please discuss with a Leader if this is thought necessary.
In some cases, such as pre-1500 profiles, it may be necessary to gain assistance from a Leader to help amend profiles. Please discuss the requirement with a Project Lead.
How to Join
- Top Level Project: Nordic
- Project Leaders: Missy Berryann
- Coordinators: Norway: Leif Biberg Kristensen
- Answer our G2G welcome post to join the Norway project and get a badge.
- Add nordic to your followed tags.
- We use Nordic Project Google Group for communication.
- Here is the Norway project's Suggestion List. Working on these is a great way to contribute.
- Norway Project Member List.
- Here is what our members are working on.
How to help
The best place to start is with your own ancestors. Can you improve your ancestor profiles by adding reliable sources and writing biographies? Are their names appropriately formatted, and are they correctly spelled using æ, ø, å? Have you checked your suggestion report lately?
Check out the tabs below to read more about how to improve profiles and perhaps find something to work on as well.
Using Norwegian special letters Please use the correct letters when writing Norwegian names. If your keyboard does not support some of these letters, please copypaste them from the list below or use the following Alt codes.
|Æ & æ||Ø & ø||Å & å|
|Æ = Alt+0198||Ø = Alt+0216||Å = Alt+0197|
|æ = Alt+0230||ø = Alt+0248||å = Alt+0229|
|Lower case letters|
Trouble with Names and Places
Please take some time to read the page about Norwegian Naming Conventions and how to fit Norwegian names into the name fields of WikiTree.
Categorization by location is a useful tool when it is done consistently. Check out Norwegian Parish Categories for guidance on adding categories.
To-Do or Task List
To participate in the project, we have a list of tasks that we need accomplished. To see details about the task, volunteer, participate in the discussion, or ask questions about it, click on the link, which will take you to the G2G thread about the task. Be sure to post on that thread if you complete the task so we can take it off the list!
- The regional, Counties and Municipalities have been set up. Currently, the Parish/Municipality structure is being revised on a Parish/Municipality, County, Country naming standard as discussed in the Norway locations proposal. The page Norwegian Location Category Structure (formerly "Categorizing Norwegian Parishes") has been reworked to reflect the new policy.
- Establish general structure for the Norwegian Armed Forces through history
- Norwegian Aristocracy and Nobility; some elements have been started but coordination is required.
- Find sources for Unsourced Profiles
- Establish a bibliography for doing Norwegian genealogy research. Add to bibliography (or Norway Resources)
Joining a Team
- If you want to cooperate with others, why not join one of the Nordic Project Teams and learn from each other while working on a specific area of common interest.
These are some of the projects Norway Project is cooperating with that might be of interest for the Norway Project members as well.
- Nordic Project
- Denmark Project
- Finland Project
- Iceland Project
- Sweden Project
- Early Scandinavia Project
- New Sweden Project
- European Aristocrats
- Profile Improvement
- Categorisation Project
- Data Doctors Project
This page was last modified 06:26, 17 May 2022. This page has been accessed 7,982 times.