Project: Nova Scotia
The Nova Scotia Project is a sub-project of The Canadian History Project.
This project covers Nova Scotia from 1713 to present day, and Cape Breton after 1763. (For ancestors before these dates, check out WikiTree's Acadians Project!)
The goals of the Nova Scotia Project are:
- to create and improve profiles of famous and notable Nova Scotians,
- to create Free Space profiles for events, places, and other topics of genealogical interest pertaining to Nova Scotia,
- to bring together WikiTreers with an interest in Nova Scotian families, and to share resources to further research
The coordinator of this project is:
(See the Canadian History Project page for the top-level project leader.)
If you would like to be involved in the Nova Scotia project, please do the following:
- Add nova_scotia to your list of followed tags. That way you'll see all of our discussions in your G2G Feed.
- Ask the Canadian History Leader to award you the Canadian History Project badge.
- Add your name to the list below, along with what you are working on, or what you would like to do.
Project Protected Profiles
Premiers of Nova Scotia - A list of Colonial and Provincial Premiers, and our progress chart for working on their genealogies.
Notable Nova Scotians - Our listing of profiles protected under this project, and suggestions for new profiles.
Colonial Governors of Nova Scotia A list of Colonial Governors, from 1710-1786, and our progress chart for working on their genealogies.
Lieutenant Governors of Nova Scotia A list of Lieutenant Governors, from 1786-1867, and our progress chart for working on their genealogies.
Lieutenant Governors of Cape Breton 1784-1820 From August 26, 1784 until October 9, 1820 Cape Breton was a seperate colony.
Notable Nova Scotians: This category list famous or historically-significant people from Nova Scotia.
Beside your name below, please keep track of what you're currently working on for this project. This is both for your own reference, and to aid collaboration amongst the project participants. If you are going to be temporarily inactive in the project (eg. on vacation), please note that here. Thanks!
- Erin Breen - facilitating the project and getting things started for now (June 2, 2014)
- Jessie Boutilier - general research of Cape Breton families; I have a lot of books from the area
- Jason Clark - Loyalists and privateers
- Bob Jewett - Premiers, my family (Parker, Anderson, Hardacre, Allen, Benjamin, ...) paternal grandmother Ida (Parker) Jewett's side.
- George Churchill - Research assistance in the South West part of Nova Scotia and special interest in the Churchill family.
- Rhonda Rockwell - Cape Breton
- Laurie Giffin - Many of my ancestors were "New England Planters" who settled in Annapolis, Colchester, Guysborough, Halifax, Lunenburg, Queens, Shelburne, and Yarmouth Counties before 1776.
- Laurie (Caron) Pasher - Cape Breton migrations from Montbeliard, France
Canadian records including Nova Scotia
- Library and Archives Canada: Censuses
- Library and Archives Canada: Military Heritage: British Colonial Era
- Library and Archives Canada: Military Heritage: Loyalists
- United Empire Loyalists Association of Canada: Loyalist Directory
- Library and Archives Canada: Military Heritage: Service Files of the Royal Canadian Navy, 1910-1941
- Library and Archives Canada: Military Heritage: First World War
- Library and Archives Canada: Military Heritage: Second World War
- Nova Scotia, Historical Vital Statistics
- Nova Scotia Archives; Census Returns, Assessment and Poll Tax Records 1767-1838
- Nova Scotia Land Papers 1765-1800
- Historical Maps of Nova Scotia
- Open sources for non-members of the Genealogical Association of Nova Scotia
- Murdoch, Beamish. A History of Nova-Scotia, or Acadie (A & W. MacKinlay, Halifax, 1865)
- Annapolis: Calnek, William Arthur. History of the County of Annapolis, Including Old Port Royal and Acadia (W. Briggs, Toronto, 1897)
- Barrington: Crowell, Edwin. A History of Barrington Township and Vicinity, Shelburne County, Nova Scotia, 1604-1870 (1973)
- Barrington: Poole, Edmund Duval. Annals of Yarmouth and Barrington (Nova Scotia) in the Revolutionary War (J. Murray Lawson, Yarmouth, N.S., 1899)
- Kings County: Eaton, Arthur. The History of Kings County Nova Scotia Heart of the Acadian Land (The Salem Press Company, Salem, Mass., 1910)
- The history of Queens County, N.S. by More, James F. (James Fullerton), 1802-1878; Publication date 1873; Publisher [Halifax, N.S.]; Digitizing sponsor University of Alberta Libraries</ref>
- Yarmouth: Brown, George Stayley. Yarmouth, Nova Scotia, A Sequel to Campbell's History (Rand Avery Co., Boston, 1888)
- Yarmouth: Campbell, John Roy. A History of the County of Yarmouth, Nova Scotia (J. & A. McMillan, Saint John, N.B., 1876)
- Yarmouth: Poole, Edmund Duval. Annals of Yarmouth and Barrington (Nova Scotia) in the Revolutionary War (J. Murray Lawson, Yarmouth, N.S., 1899)
Some families that settled in Nova Scotia
- A Catalogue of Published Genealogies of Nova Scotia Families, Second Edition by Allan E Marble (Note: check archive.org as many of these are online, including the following)
- Chute: Chute, William. A Genealogy and History of the Chute Family in America (Salem, Mass, 1894)
- Coldwell: William Coaldwell, Caldwell or Coldwell of England, Massachusetts, Connecticut and Nova Scotia : historical sketch of the family and name and record of his descendants by Caldwell, Charles T. (Charles Tufts), b. 1855; Publication date 1910
- Cone: William Whitney. Some Account of the Cone Family in America (Crane & Co. Topeka, Kansas, 1903)
- Doane: Doane, Alfred Alder. The Doane Family (Boston, MA, by A. A. Doane, 1902)
- Foote: Foote, Abram. Foote Family: Comprising the Genealogy and History of Nathaniel Foote, of Wethersfield, Conn. (Tuttle Co., Rutland, VT, 1907)
- Freeman: Freeman, Frederick. Freeman Genealogy in Three Parts (Franklin Press, Rand, Avery, and Co., Boston, 1875)
- Massicotte: Massicotte, Edouard. La Famille Massicotte (Montreal, 1904)
- Robinson: The Robinsons and Their Kin Folk (The Robinson Genealogical and Historical Association, New York, 1902)
- Whitman: Farnam, Charles. History of the Descendants of John Whitman of Weymouth, Mass. (Tuttle, Morehouse & Taylor, New Haven, 1889)
Some useful sources which are under copyright (not available online or behind a paywall)
- Yarmouth, Nova Scotia, Genealogies : Transcribed from the Yarmouth Herald, by George S. Brown; prepared for publication by Martha & William Reamy, assisted by John McDonald Hilton ... et al.; published in Baltimore : Genealogical Pub. Co., c1993. ISBN: 0806313722
- The Diaries of Simeon Perkins, 1766-1812 (volumes I-V) The Publications of the Champlain Society
- T. Brenton Smith Genealogy on microfilm, accessible at the Nova Scotia Archives and the Thomas H. Raddall Research Centre in Liverpool, NS
- Annals of Queens County, by Robert J. Long on microfilm accessible at the Nova Scotia Archives and the Thomas H. Raddall Research Centre in Liverpool, NS
Ideas for in-person visits
- Nova Scotia Archives
- Many communities have a local historical and/or genealogical society (you don't have to join to pay them a visit, its a good idea to contact them in advance to make sure they are open when you stop by)
- A listing of Nova Scotia cemeteries by county. This does not include a database of persons
This page was last modified 02:28, 3 April 2018. This page has been accessed 2,268 times.