Rangers serve and protect the community in a vital way. They watch for metaphorical "forest fires" started by:
- Vandals intentionally causing damage.
- New members accidentally doing harm.
- Unexpected technical problems.
Whether accidental or intentional, fires need to be put out before they get out of control. Therefore we need a Ranger on duty 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
The Ranger Corps is divided into seven teams, one for each day of the week. For fun, the teams have adopted mascots. Click the badge to see the Rangers who wear it.
How to Join
- Project Leaders: David Selman with WikiTree Team support from Julie Ricketts
- Coordinators: Open -- if you're good with Google Calendars, please let David and I know. We'd love your help!
- Answer our G2G welcome post to join the Rangers project and get a badge.
- Add rangers to your followed tags.
- We use Google Groups for communication.
Do you meet these requirements?
- An active and friendly WikiTree presence, including:
- Ability to commit to a minimum of at least one one-hour shift per week.
- Willing to use Google Calendar for scheduling.
- Do not currently have a Referral badge and have not had one or been the subject of an active Mentor Intervention Request or Formal Mediation within the last three months.
Due to the nature of this project, interested members are reviewed by project leadership to determine if it will be a good fit. Even if the qualifications are met, it is still up to leadership discretion. The leaders will communicate with the interested member why they may not be a good fit at the current time and what they can do to be considered in the future.
Instructions for Rangers
The work of a Ranger isn't complicated. It's quite easy. While on duty they monitor activity feeds.
When you join the Ranger Corps we will send you the links and current instructions. Although these instructions aren't super-secret, we don't publish them because we don't want to make it any easier for vandals by publicizing what we're currently watching.
Contact a Ranger
Rangers are usually behind the scenes. If you have a question or need help it's generally better to ask in G2G or contact a Mentor. If you have a problem with what another member is doing, start at Help:Problems with Members.
If you notice spam or vandalism and it needs urgent attention, please follow the instructions on Help:Emergency_Blocks.
This page was last modified 21:33, 31 October 2023. This page has been accessed 23,474 times.