Rangers serve and protect the community in a vital way simply by being on duty and staying alert. They are watching for metaphorical "forest fires" started by:
- Vandals intentionally causing damage.
- New members accidentally doing harm.
- Unexpected technical problems.
Whether accidental or intentional, fires need to be put out before they get out of control. Therefore we need a Ranger on duty 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
How to Join
Do you meet these requirements?
- An active and friendly WikiTree presence, including:
- Ability to commit to a minimum of at least one one-hour shift per week.
- Do not currently have a Referral badge and have not had one or been the subject of an active Mentor Intervention Request or Formal Mediation within the last three months.
Due to the nature of this project, interested members are reviewed by project leadership to determine if it will be a good fit. Even if the qualifications are met, it is still up to leadership discretion. The leaders will communicate with the interested member why they may not be a good fit at the current time and what they can do to be considered in the future.
Instructions for Rangers
The work of a Ranger isn't complicated. It's quite easy. While on duty they monitor activity feeds.
When you join the Ranger Corps we will send you the links and current instructions. Although these instructions aren't super-secret, we don't publish them because we don't want to make it any easier for vandals by publicizing what we're currently watching.
Contact a Ranger
Rangers are usually behind the scenes. If you have a question or need help it's generally better to ask in G2G or contact a Mentor. If you have a problem with what another member is doing, start at Problems with Members.
If you notice spam or vandalism and it needs urgent attention, please e-mail WikiRangers@GoogleGroups.com right away.
This page was last modified 17:37, 25 June 2020. This page has been accessed 15,997 times.