The Sourcerers' Challenge is a challenge to motivate our members to get sources on the many unsourced profiles across WikiTree.
Each month we start a new challenge and encourage everyone, from the newest researchers to the most experienced, to start adding sources across the tree and tell us about the work you're doing.
Those who tally the most additions get to wear the Sourcerer Challenge Winner badge. Everyone who participates gets the Sourcerer badge.
There is also an all-around top Sourcerer profile feature box which only one person on WikiTree will ever have at any time, as it travels from top Sourcerer to top Sourcerer. We keep track of our top ten Sourcerers here on the page.
Here is an archive of what has been accomplished with the challenge each month.
Here are the rules:
- All profiles improved must come from the Unsourced categories or be already present on WikiTree and unsourced-you can't create new profiles and add sources just to up your tally. The hope and goal is to improve the numbers already on WikiTree that need sources. Adding sources will help merges happen, too, which will improve our tree. Showing folks what sources you're using helps newer researchers see just what's available out there for us to access.
- The tally is of profiles improved, not sources added.
- If you attempt to add sources to a profile and just cannot find any, please add a note under a section like === Research Notes === giving where you tried to find records and you can sign it with the four tildes (~~~~) so the date is applied as well. Something like "Looked for John in the US Census records for 1900-1940 and couldn't find him on FamilySearch or Ancestry" would be fine. Or, "Searched google for an obituary and didn't find one." That way the next researcher knows where to start.
- If the profile has just Geni or Ancestry (or the like) tree for a current source, adding better sources can count it for the contest.
- Profiles that you end up finding a duplicate of and merge to add the source count, too.
- Sources must be as complete and precise as possible, according to our Sources style guide.
- If a profile needs cleaned up while you're there, please do so! Many are leftover from gedcom imports and need a little love on top of the sources you add.
How to Join
Each month there will be a new monthly post that is titled "xxxx 20xx Sourcerers Challenge". Add your answer in response to the post and begin counting your sourced profiles using the Challenge Tracker. The first of the month following that month (or shortly after), project badges will be awarded. There is no need to do anything else; if you participate one month, you'll get the badge within the next month!
Top 10 Sourcerers of All Time
Top 10 Sourcerers of the Year (thru Mar 2018)
|3||Kevin R Sweet||1,980|
To view all of the Sourcerer participants to date, view the Google sheet here.
Challenge Tracker Stats
Saturday Sourcing Sprints
Sourcing Saturday Sprints are one-day challenges. They're casual mini-versions of the Source-a-Thon last October that was so popular and fun.
For details on how to participate and to see current tallies, go here.
This page was last modified 20:47, 5 May 2018. This page has been accessed 14,990 times.