South African Roots Project Resources
|Important for South African profiles
- Please do not use the Middle Name field. Read about Name Fields.
- Please use the right Country Name for the period. Find it here.
- Please, always upload a source and transcribe the core facts.
- Please cite and sign your contribution with your name. How to
Sources and Pre 1700 Profiles
- Reliable Sources
- Contains a searchable index of records. Some records are photographed and can be found on the FamilySearch servers below although they have not all yet been indexed by FamilySearch. Here you can see which collections has images or has been indexed. Currently being indexed FamilySearch Indexing
- Browse only published collections on FamilySearch
- Death Notices and Probate files
- Civil Death Notices
Church Records on FamilySearch
- Some Images in these collections
Birth and Baptisms
- Baptisms Cape
- The records of the Dutch Reformed Church (NGK) have all been indexed as far as I can tell and are spread over three searchable databases with duplication in some cases.
- Familysearch for the Cape. To note, a few hard to read pages were skipped and not indexed.
- eGGSA Baptisms
- eGGSA Cape and Stellenbosch
- Ring registers 1845-1899
- Index to surnames. First find the family member in this index. Note the town, register number and page. Next to that index link is the baptism records for the Cape link. Unfortunately Family Search did not index them by register number but by Rings up to about 1888 Thereafter alphabetically by town. With the Rings, take the year you are looking for and open the collections. At the back of the collections, usually the last or second/third last or so exposure gives a list of what was filmed in that collection. There are register numbers as well. Make a note of how many exposures were in each register. Now work back from the exposure count on the left top to find the right register where it starts. You have the page number now browse to the right page.
- Note A new index of the Familysearch Collection of these Ring registers can be found under the town names at My People Puzzle
NG Kerk Ring indeks registers volgens van
- Please note, although the indeks appears complete for the period, some years in some towns were not indexed.
- Baptisms Transvaal
- Baptisms Namibia
- Marriages Cape
- Marriages Transvaal
- Marriages Namibia
- Graaff Reinet Passe
- Plekname/Place names South Africa, South West Africa, Botswana, Lesotho and Swaziland
British Concentration Camps of the South African War 1900-1902
|| J377, 1810
Precis of the archives of the Cape of Good Hope