|Sweden with its provinces.|
Sweden Project is a project for WikiTreers, of any nationality, who are interested in making the Swedish profiles at WikiTree the very best they can be. Members of Sweden Project should actively be working on improving existing Swedish profiles as well as increase the number of new, well sourced, profiles for people born in Sweden.
A substantial number of WikiTreers have ancestors who migrated from Sweden and there is also a growing number of Swedish participants in WikiTree. The project therefore also aims to provide mutual support (through G2G forum) and resources (instructions & information on free-space pages) in order to make it easier for WikiTreers to improve profiles with a connection to Sweden.
The goals of Project Sweden are:
- to improve Swedish profiles by
- including quality sources
- writing and cleaning up biographies
- elimination of duplicates (merges)
- error correction Suggestion list for Sweden
- to help with g2G questions related to Sweden
- to monitor the Swedish category system and keep it navigable and useful
How to Join
In order to join the project, you must first be a WikiTree member.. If you are not yet a WikiTree member, see Help: How to Use WikiTree to get started.
Project badges will be awarded to those who would like to actively participate in the project and contribute to the project goals. You will also be invited to join the google group we use for discussions within the project.
We recognise that people lead busy lives and may not be active on WikiTree every single week of the year, but you should at least have the intention to contribute towards the project's goals on a somewhat regular basis.
- Project Leaders: Maggie Andersson
- Coordinators: Laurie Miller
- Answer our G2G welcome post to join the Sweden project and get a badge.
- Add SWEDEN to your followed tags.
- We use Google Groups for communication.
- Here is the Sweden project's Suggestion List. Working on these is a great way to contribute.
- Sweden Project Member List.
- Here is what our members are working on.
How to help
You can contribute making Swedish profiles better by helping reduce the errors in the Suggestion Report for Sweden, check what needs to be done at the moment on the page for Maintenance help needed and Category Maintenance or perhaps add any of the templates/stickers to Swedish profiles.
Resources for Swedish genealogy research
There are several subcategories in Category: Sweden that contain resources for working on Swedish genealogy in WikiTree.
- Reliable Swedish Sources Listing of reliable Swedish sources (and not so reliable), especially for profiles pre-1700.
- Swedish names a category with pages explaining various aspects of Swedish names
- Swedish Flag Images
- Sweden Genealogy Resources
- Swedish County Codes (Länsbokstäver)
- Gothenburg resources
- Stockholm resources
Since the Swedish parishes are so important for genealogy in Sweden it is very helpful to categorize your profiles by parish. There are currently well over 2000 categories for parishes in Sweden - almost a full set. When you put a category like [[Category: Leksand (W)]] on one of your profiles the profile will appear on the category page together with others who were born, lived or died there. Two or three location categories on a profile is usually enough.
We strongly recommend the nifty new tool in the edit toolbar on biographies for finding and adding parish categories.
Because there are many cases where more than one Swedish parish has the same name, the parish categories are named with the parish name plus the county code in parenthesis. The county code is there instead of the name of the county to make the category name shorter.
When a parish category is getting filled up - nearing 200 categorized profiles - you may want to create subcategories for villages, hamlets or farms. These should be of the form [[Category: Altsarbyn, Rättvik (W)]], i.e. Village, Parish (County code). If it is necessary, subcategorization could proceed another level, with different farms as subcategories of a village, but the general rule is to avoid creating extra layers of navigation.
Parishes are grouped by county - Leksand and Rättvik are both Parishes in Dalarna. The county category - in this case Dalarna County - is a toplevel category that should not be put on a profile that has a parish category.
Related Projects and Groups
This page was last modified 05:29, 26 June 2020. This page has been accessed 8,881 times.