|Sweden with its provinces.|
Project Sweden aims to provide mutual support and resources for WikiTreers working on and improving profiles with a connection to Sweden. A substantial number of WikiTreers have ancestors who migrated from Sweden. There is also a growing number of Swedish participants in WikiTree.
How to Join
Project participants need to be members of WikiTree. If you are not yet a WikiTree member, see Help: How to Use WikiTree to get started.
- Leaders: Eva Ekeblad, Maggie Andersson
- Answer our G2G welcome post to join the Sweden project and get a badge.
- Add SWEDEN to your followed tags.
- We use Google Groups for communication.
- Here is the Sweden project's Error List. Working on these is a great way to contribute.
- Sweden Project Member List.
- Here is what our members are working on.
The goals of Project Sweden are:
- to improve Swedish profiles by
- including quality sources
- writing and cleaning up biographies
- elimination of duplicates
- error correction
- to help with g2G questions related to Sweden
- to monitor the Swedish category system and keep it navigable and useful
There are several subcategories in Category: Sweden that contain resources for working on Swedish genealogy in WikiTree.
- Swedish names a category with pages explaining various aspects of Swedish names
- Swedish Flag Images
- Sweden Genealogy Resources
- Swedish County Codes (Länsbokstäver)
- Gothenburg resources
- Stockholm resources
Since the Swedish parishes are so important for genealogy in Sweden it is very helpful to categorize your profiles by parish. There are currently well over 2000 categories for parishes in Sweden - almost a full set. When you put a category like [[Category: Leksand (W)]] on one of your profiles the profile will appear on the category page together with others who were born, lived or died there. Two or three location categories on a profile is usually enough.
We strongly recommend the nifty new tool in the edit toolbar on biographies for finding and adding parish categories.
Because there are many cases where more than one Swedish parish has the same name, the parish categories are named with the parish name plus the county code in parenthesis. The county code is there instead of the name of the county to make the category name shorter.
When a parish category is getting filled up - nearing 200 categorized profiles - you may want to create subcategories for villages, hamlets or farms. These should be of the form [[Category: Altsarbyn, Rättvik (W)]], i.e. Village, Parish, (County code). If it is necessary, subcategorization could proceed another level, with different farms as subcategories of a village, but the general rule is to avoid creating extra layers of navigation.
Parishes are grouped by county - Leksand and Rättvik are both Parishes in Dalarna. The county category - in this case Dalarna County - is a toplevel category that should not be put on a profile that has a parish category.
- Sweden Project Box - should only be used on profiles managed by Project Sweden.
- Swedish profiles that are not managed by the project can have a Sweden Sticker
Related Projects and Groups
This page was last modified 08:02, 19 June 2018. This page has been accessed 4,520 times.