The mission of the Templates project is to provide guidance and assistance in the development, documentation, improvement, usage and debugging of templates. This commonly involves the creation of requested templates, or template revisions, on behalf of WikiTree members.
How to Join
- Project Leaders: Steven Harris and Aleš Trtnik
- Coordinators: N/A
- Answer our G2G welcome post to join the Templates project and get a badge.
- Add templates to your followed tags.
- We use Google Groups for communication.
- Check out our maintenance categories for our project needs, then jump in and start helping!
A Template Editor is:
- ... a Wiki Genealogist who has signed the Honor Code.
- ... a member who joined WikiTree more than six months ago and has at least 5000 contributions.
- ... knowledgeable (or willing to learn!) about templates and WikiTree’s styles and standards.
- … a member who is able to work as a team player.
- ... does not currently have a Referral badge and has not had or been the subject of a Mentor Intervention Request or Formal Mediation within the last six months.
Project members should strive to ensure that all templates have a clearly defined use, understandable instructions, and are as simple (from the users perspective) as possible. Other considerations are ensuring that templates 'look good' on profiles; this includes ensuring that templates do not use too much screen 'real estate', that visual elements draw an appropriate amount of attention without being distracting, and that different templates can be used on one profile while maintaining a cohesive look and feel.
As changes to existing templates will directly and immediately display on all pages that are using the template, project members must always exercise care in making or suggesting changes, and any changes should be discussed and reviewed with affected project leaders (for project specific templates) and/or with the Wikitree community (through G2G) before any major revisions are made.
In addition to identifying templates for improvement, project members should also try to identify templates that are being used in unintended ways (possibly indicating a need for a new template to be created), and ones that can be 'retired' (because they are not currently used, have not been formally approved, they have become redundant, or do not fit within the current guidelines for Templates).
For a full list of participants, see the badge report.
A comprehensive to-do list is being maintained on the project's Google Spreadsheet Task List. This spreadsheet is available to all project members and details the current status of pending/requested templates and their current status. Other ongoing tasks, include, but are not limited to:
- Monitoring the Missing Templates Report for misnamed, or non-existent template references;
- Monitoring the Template Usage Report for unintended usage, or templates that can be retired;
- Reviewing Template Usage Groups for classification improvements; and
- Ensuring that Database Definitions are kept up to date.
The following pages have listings of all known templates on WikiTree, and you can see a preview of the templates as well as usage statistics. These lists are used for error checking in the Database Errors project and should only be updated by Steven Harris or Aleš Trtnik.
- Space:Database Errors Definition Templates
- Space:Database Errors Definition Templates/Project box
- Space:Database Errors Definition Templates/Stickers
- Space:Database Errors Definition Templates/Profile Box
- Space:Database Errors Definition Templates/External Links
- Space:Database Errors Definition Templates/Categories
This page was last modified 18:26, 16 October 2019. This page has been accessed 4,744 times.