Project: United States Immigration
free-space pages related to United States Immigration across the global family tree.
How to Join
You are also encouraged to add your name to the Members section. Feel free to add information about your specific project focus as applicable, such as a State, or Port of Entry.
- This goals of our project are to create, source, connect, and improve profiles and free-space pages related to United States Immigration through the use of historic documentation. This includes information on immigration ports and passenger roles. This project also serves as an umbrella under which many free-space pages can be started to cover immigration ports. To meet these goals:
- Add Immigration-related profiles, checking for existing profiles to avoid duplication. If any duplicates already exist, request merges starting with the oldest generation.
- If profiles were loaded by GEDCOM, use WikiTree Styles and Standards to clean up and fix broken links.
- Search for original rather than derivative document, such as passenger roles, and add sources.
- Create and manage Free-Space pages built to represent immigration ports, linked to applicable State and US History pages as approved by coordinators.
Project To-Do List
- Document all known US immigration ports that were used in the United States. - In Progress
- Create Project Pages for each of the States - In Progress
- Create Project Pages for each Port within the applicable States
- Begin to document the Passenger Roles - by year - for each Port (as they are available)
Ports of Entry
Port of Entry State Year(s) Available Records New Orleans Louisiana 1813-1819 Roll 1 of M2009, Work Projects Administration Transcript of Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at New Orleans, Louisiana, 1813-1849 (2 rolls) Philadelphia Pennsylvania 1800-1819 Rolls 1-29 of M425, Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 1800-1882 (108 rolls), which is indexed by M360, Index to Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 1800-1906 (151 rolls). Note, however, that M425 undoubtedly does not include everyone arriving at Philadelphia during 1800-1819.
- For other resources and passenger lists from 1538-1819:
- Filby, P. William, ed. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index: A Guide to Published Arrival Records of ... Passengers who Came to the United States and Canada in the Seventeenth, Eighteenth, and Nineteenth Centuries. 3 volumes plus annual supplements. Detroit: Gale Research Co., 1981-__.
- Filby, P. William, ed. Passenger and Immigration Lists Bibliography, 1538-1900. 2d ed. Detroit, MI: Gale Research Co., 1988.
- Lancour, Harold, comp. A Bibliography of Ship Passenger Lists, 1538-1825; Being a Guide to Published Lists of Early Immigrants to North America. 3d ed. New York: New York Public Library, 1978.
- Wood, Virginia Steele. Immigrant Arrivals: A Guide to Published Sources. Revised. (Washington, DC: Library of Congress, Local History & Genealogy Reading Room, n.d.).
- Boyer, Carl. Ship Passenger Lists, National and New England (1600-1825). Newhall, CA: C. Boyer, 1977. Covers Lancour entries 1-71.
- Boyer, Carl. Ship Passenger Lists, New York and New Jersey (1600-1825). Newhall, CA: C. Boyer, 1978. Covers Lancour entries 72-115.
- Boyer, Carl. Ship Passenger Lists, Pennsylvania and Delaware (1641-1825). Newhall, CA: C. Boyer, 1980. Covers Lancour entries 116-197.
- Boyer, Carl. Ship Passenger Lists, the South (1538-1825). Newhall, CA: C. Boyer, 1979. Covers Lancour entries 198E-243.
- Tepper, Michael. New World Immigrants: a Consolidation of Ship Passenger Lists and Associated Data from Periodical Literature. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1979.
- Tepper, Michael. Passengers to America: A Consolidation of Ship Passenger Lists From the New England Historical and Genealogical Register. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1977.
- Tepper, Michael. Emigrants to Pennsylvania, 1641-1819: a Consolidation of Ship Passenger Lists from the Pennsylvania Magazine of History and Biography. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1978
- Tepper, Michael. Immigrants to the Middle Colonies: a Consolidation of Ship Passenger Lists and Associated Data from The New York Genealogical and Biographical Record. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1978
- Steven Harris - Project Coordinator. Currently focusing on Galveston Immigration Records.
Related Projects and Groups
This page was last modified 00:39, 30 August 2020. This page has been accessed 1,320 times.