Project: Washington State
Categories: Washington | Washington State Project | Washington Projects | United States Project | Volunteers Needed
Disambiguation: For a One Name Study on the Washington surname, see Washington Name Study.
This project is part of the United States Project
Welcome to the Washington State Project!
|1913 Map of Washington|
The state of Washington was previously part of the Washington Territory and became the 42nd state on Nov. 11, 1889.
How to Join
It is not necessary that you be related to someone who lived in the state of Washington or that you live there yourself to join. Anyone with an interest is welcome! If you would like to participate, please do the following:
- Project Leaders: Azure Robinson
- Coordinators: needed contact project leadership if interested in becoming Project Coordinator
- Answer our G2G welcome post to join the Washington State project and get a badge.
- Add Washington_State to your followed tags.
- We use G2G and #united-states channel on the WikiTree Discord Server for communication.
- Check out our maintenance categories for our project needs, then jump in and start helping!
- Here is the Washington State project's Suggestion List. Working on these is a great way to contribute.
- Look at one of the Washington State project's example profiles to see what we hope for in profiles that are part of our project. Other excellent examples from our project and others can be found in the Examples Gallery.
- Washington State Project Member List.
- Here is what our members are working on.
The purpose of this project is to coordinate all Washington-related projects and resources and combine that information into one place. Our goal is to create and develop profiles on WikiTree for those who lived in the state of Washington.
The following table provides links to space pages for each county in Washington. If you would like to be a member of a county, send the project leader a private message, and you will be added to the trusted list. Currently, all counties need team leaders!
- Add Washington-related profiles, checking for existing profiles to avoid duplication. If any duplicate profiles exist, request merges, starting with the oldest generation.
- See the Washington State Maintenance Category "Needs" categories
- Needs GEDCOM Cleanup If profiles were loaded by GEDCOM, use WikiTree Styles and Standards to clean up residue and broken links.
- Needs Biography: Write comprehensive, well-sourced biographies.
- Needs Profiles Created: Profiles need to be linked to the greater WikiTree. Try to find the connection. Make sure profiles of all family members are correct and documented.
- Needs More Records: Search out original rather than derivative documentation and add sources.
- Profiles need to be added for the Mercer Girls and linked to their space page.
- Possible future project for Explorers and Expeditions? Sub-projects could include the Corps of Discovery, John C. Fremont and Charles Wilkes Expedition
- Add profiles for those who obtained land grants and homesteaded in Washington. See the Homesteaders Project
- Help develop the Native Americans Project with information about Washington state tribes.
- Add profiles for the men who died in World War I, serving from Washington in the Great War project and for the Roll of Honor project.
- Would you like to lead a county sub-project? these counties need a Team Leader
- If you're interested in coordinating a place study for somewhere in Washington, see the join post for the One Place Studies Project. Here are some ideas for studies:
- National Register of Historic Places
- Boeing: Headquarters was located in Seattle until 2001. There are multiple locations in the State that are still active and some historical locations of interest.
- Military forts
- Cemeteries in Washington need to be photographed and the categories added to profiles on WikiTree.
Finding state-specific errors using the following links can be a little difficult due to many states having counties of the same name. If comfortable using WikiTree+ to look for specific locations within the state: WikiTree+ Help. Alternatively, you can request project leadership to generate a report for you, just send a private message.
- Work on Washington's unconnected and unsourced profiles.
- Work on Suggestions for profiles from Washington, as reported by the Data Doctors Project.
Washington Genealogy Resources
- If you find a free online resource:
- Check to make sure a free-space page doesn't already exist.
- Create space page - see: Share Source on WikiTree
- Add internal link to new page to the correction section on Sources-Washington page
- If you have any Washington state resources that you are willing to do lookups on, please add them to the Resources Page.
- If you live in Washington, please consider adding Category: Washington Research Assistance to your Wikitree profile page.
- The Denny Party
- Washington Category page
- Washington Projects page
- Washington, Cemeteries
- Washington Colleges & Universities
- Washington Governors
- Washington Homesteaders
- Washington Federally Recognized Native American Tribes
- Confederated Tribes of the Colville Reservation
- Washington, Politicians
- Washington, Religious Congregations
- Washington Research Assistance
- Washington Genealogy Resources
- Civil War Veterans in Washington State
Projects and Pages
- Homesteaders Project
- Mercer Girls, inspiration for "Here Comes The Brides"
- Lewis and Clark Expedition Project
- Native Americans Project
- The Whitman Party
- Trails and Wagon Trains Project
- The Way West Project
- Civil War Veterans in Washington State
- Washington Civil War Resource Page
- Washington in the Great War
- United States in World War II
- Washington disasters in the Disasters Project
- Washington Mining Disasters
- Volcanic Eruptions for Mt. St. Helens
- Washington studies in the One Place Studies Project
- US Governors Project
- Western Red Cedars Team for Big Annual Challenges
||... ... ... is a part of Washington State history.|
Join: Washington State Project
Discuss: Washington State
For profiles needing Project Protection only. Be sure to add the United States Project as manager of the profile: email@example.com
See: Washington State Sticker for more details
See: Nonmigrating Ancestory Sticker for more details
This sticker has more flexibility
This page was last modified 02:21, 12 October 2022. This page has been accessed 1,872 times.