Project: WikiTree Apps
This project is for programmers who want to help develop features and functions that enhance WikiTree for genealogists, and for outside developers and researchers who would like to make use of the global family tree for creative, non-profit purposes.
How to Join
- Project Leaders: Jamie Nelson
The API and Apps Server
Most of the project members focus their efforts on the WikiTree API accessed through the apps.wikitree.com server. Anyone in the project can request a directory of their own on the apps server.
Any project member with a non-profit purpose can request a full data dump of the global family tree, subject to certain conditions on use. These are controlled for privacy, so unlike with the API, there is no access to any private information.
See Database Dumps.
If you want your application to write to a WikiTree profile, you can use MergeEdit.
Do you have an idea for an application, or want to collaborate on one? Here's the list of ideas and open projects. Please add to it, comment, and ask questions.
Open Source License
For our code, we use the MIT License.
Note that not all of WikiTree is open source. Keeping the main code base private makes it easier to protect member's privacy. Plus, we don't want to encourage multiple WikiTrees. We want a single world tree. For apps that use the API, though, privacy is not a concern and it makes sense to keep it open to the community. Even if the WikiTree team takes something developed by the community and forks it to make it part of WikiTree, what was done by the community remains open for anyone to use and improve upon.
Members share on GitHub.
Again, note that this is just for Apps code. WikiTree also has an internal development environment.
We have a Google Group for project communication. All project members should be sure to join the WikiTree Apps Google Group in order to stay abreast of current happenings and discussions.
For a full list of current participants, see the badge report.
To see what members of the project have built, see the App Gallery.
- Roland Arsenault
- wikitree-js github repo for JS library.
- wikitree-tools repo on github (new)
- wikitree-tools source repository (old) which includes:
- A browser extension for Google Chrome that helps find errors in profiles.
- A collection of python scripts to play around with the gedcom data. The tools are open-source so feel free to contribute patches. I have tested them with Ubuntu Linux and cygwin running on Windows 7.
- wt_lint.py example usage: ./wt_lint.py ARSENAULT-64.ged
- graph_gedcom.py example usage: ./graph_gedcom.py ARSENAULT-64.ged | dot -Tpng -o ARSENAULT-64.png
- graph_gedcom.py example usage for only ancestors: ./graph_gedcom.py ARSENAULT-64.ged "Roland Arsenault" | dot -Tpng -o ARSENAULT-64.png
- wt_graph_tree.py example usage for public tree with only ancestors: ./wt_graph_tree.py ARSENAULT-64.ged "Roland Arsenault" | dot -Tpng -o ARSENAULT-64.png
- wt_progress.py example usage: ./wt_progress.py ARSENAULT-64.ged "Roland Arsenault"
- wt_url_check.py example usage: ./wt_url_check.py ARSENAULT-64.ged check
- wt_url_check.py example usage (list all urls, but don't check): ./wt_url_check.py ARSENAULT-64.ged
- For an example of the tree output, see: http://wikitree-tools.googlecode.com/hg/example_tree.png
- Terry Vantreese Jr. - Terry is a programmer with experience in Perl, Java, Visual Basic .NET, Visual C# .NET, Visual C++ .NET and BASH/SH scripting.
- Wrote a program to fix the WikiTree gedcom exports (fix the name and notes)
- Wrote a program to clean the biography (put all of the sections and entries in the right order and remove duplicates).
- Contributed to WikiTree API RESTful service.
- Investigated location standardization utilities and GEDCOM-X data formats.
- Working on a program to synchronize (locally in mySQL) the current user tree, by parsing the HTML pages, in order to create/run a number of local utilities:
- Find and adopt all related profiles (ancestors siblings and spouses) and remove myself from unrelated profiles.
- Find pending merges with the same or missing parents (can be merged immediately).
- Automatically clean up biographies.
- Standardize and validate the locations.
- Search external source sites for potentially related information.
- Brian Casey - Developer for WikiTree.
- Thom Anderson - Develop/Integration/Instructor/Manager - Distributed Systems and Advanced Intelligent Networking.
- Looking to provide DNA integration for WT.
- Future plans for Java app integration
- wt_apps for discussions.
- Rootsdev open-source development community.
This page was last modified 03:57, 28 March 2019. This page has been accessed 22,020 times.