- George (Prouse) Prowse's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
George was born about 1608. George Prowse ... He passed away after 1684. 
Letter from Mary Prowse dated 24 Aug 2001: (38) ABPs numbering George Prowse of Kingston, next Yeovil, Co. Somerset, dated 10 Aug, 21 Jac I 1623 Proved 16 Feb 1624/5 by James Prowse, son and Exor. mentions his eldest son James b. 1596. To George Prowse, second son, all lands at Botham, Tiverton, a pair of blue silk curtains with valence, and two silver spoons "one gilded and the other "white?" and other specified effects. Grandfather's (ABP) notes: Also mentioned wife Elizabeth, sons Robert, Thomas & youngest John and children of daughters Prudence, now Bisse. He also mentions land owned by Edward Humphrey and another daughter Jane married an Edward Humphrey, although neither Jane, dor daughter Elizaabeth who married Roger Roberts are named. Grandfather's notes unfortunately refer to "legacies to grandchildren." No mention of second son George being in America.
Bolham [status: a] in Tiverton parish and Tiverton hundred (EPNS, p541). It appears in DB as Boleham, held by William the Usher (DB 51,8). In 1284 it was held for a quarter of a fee by Hugh Raleigh of the honor of Dunster, the overlordship having passed to the Mohun family (FA i p319). It descended in the Raleigh family until the famous Sir Walter Raleigh sold it in 1596/7 to George Prowse and Richard Hagley (OJR, Supp, p29). Lysons does not mention it in 1822. Unknown if this is the same Prowse, but it is in the same place and time.
County of birth based upon the Visitation of Somersetshire of 1620
- ↑ First-hand information as remembered by Randall Prouse, Monday, October 6, 2014. Replace this citation if there is another source.
Visitation of County Somerset, England 1623
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with George by comparing test results with other carriers of his Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA. Y-chromosome DNA test-takers in his direct paternal line on WikiTree:
- Rand Prouse : Family Tree DNA Y-DNA Test 67 markers, haplogroup R-M269, Ysearch 7GKEN, FTDNA kit #B35870
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.
George is 16 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 10 degrees from Stephen Hopkins, 21 degrees from Ben Kingsley, 20 degrees from David Selman and 15 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.