John Prowse

John Prowse (abt. 1643 - 1706)

Privacy Level: Open (White)
John Prowse
Born about in Exeter, Devonshire, Englandmap
Ancestors ancestors
Husband of — married 2 Oct 1665 in Salisbury, Essex Co, Massachusettsmap
Descendants descendants
Died in Amesbury, Essex, Massachusettsmap
Profile last modified 13 Jun 2019 | Created 14 Sep 2010
This page has been accessed 793 times.

Biography

Note: John of Amesbury may actually be the son of a different George (or at least of this George and Margery Tucker) and may be of Tiverton, Devon. Research is still very active on this point. If he IS the son of George of Tiverton and Margery Tucker, they might not have been married yet by John's baptism as a "base son" of Margery Tucker appears in the Tiverton parish register compared to a "George Prowse, son of Mr. George Prowse" (mother not listed) who appears a few years later. Further note that this young George may have died at about age 6 months based on a matching Tiverton burial record and if all this is true, yet another George Prowse may have been born in Tiverton, being the younger brother of this John. Work in Progress...

John was born about 1643 in England and married Hannah Barnes 2 Oct 1665 (some sources say 1666) in Salisbury, Essex Co, MA.[1] and [2]

John and Hannah appear as parents in the baptismal records of their children Abigail October 1666 in Salisbury,[3] John (Amesbury as were the younger children) in 1669,[4] Barnes in 1672[5] and Hannah in March 1676,[6]

On 20 Dec 1677 John Prowse appears in Amesbury, Essex, MA listed as taking the Oath of Allegiance and again in May 1680 in Amesbury as a member of a military training team:

The Amesbury Training band, being without an officer to conduct & instruct them in military exercises, the following persons signed a petition that our well respected and esteemed Friend Samll Foot, our late Sergeant & chieffe officer,be or Lieftena'tt. They state that they consider him the most suit- able person for the place, as they have experienced or observed his faculty in Military discipline. Philip Watson Challis Will Barns Richrd Currier Gerhard Hadden John Hoyt Senr Thos. Wells John Weed Sen, Thomas Nicols Thomas Sargeant Thomas Rowell Thomas Harvey Richrd Martin John Coleby John Prowse (others listed).[7]

John is also listed as the husband of Hannah Prowse on her 28 May 1688 death record in Amesbury, MA.[8] (original scanned image available at this link).

He passed away intestate in 1706 (first page of inventory of his estate seems to say both 12 July 1706 and 14 Aug 1706). Probate lists daughter Abigail & her husband Israel Diamond, son Barnes & his wife Deborah, John Jewell who married John's daughter Hannah & Orlando Bagley[9] Son John Prowse (b.1669) is not listed and Barnes is listed as "eldest son" so presumably John had died before 1706. No record of his death or marriage has been found yet so he may have died very young.

Sources

  • An excerpt from: Daniel Tewksbury, 1782-1851: A History of His Ancestors to 1626 Including a Compilation of His Known Descendants - by Ralph Tewksbury, published 2005 by Fidlar Doubleday (attached image)
  1. Daniel Tewksbury ancestors and descendants Appendix C - Mary Jewell Authors Tewksbury, Ralph E. (Main Author) Kalamazoo, Michigan : Fidlar Doubleday, c2005
  2. Town and City Clerks of Massachusetts. Massachusetts Vital and Town Records. Provo, UT: Holbrook Research Institute (Jay and Delene Holbrook)
  3. Massachusetts Births and Christenings, 1639-1915 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FZ94-MJW
  4. Massachusetts Births and Christenings, 1639-1915 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FCVF-CZN
  5. Massachusetts Births and Christenings, 1639-1915 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FCVF-2F9
  6. Massachusetts Births and Christenings, 1639-1915 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FCVX-QMQ
  7. Page 21 1677 Amesbury oath of allegiance Page 23 1680 training band list Page 293 John Prowse/Prouse Hannah Barnes marriage & children http://archive.org/stream/cu31924025963772#page/n9/mode/2up
  8. Massachusetts, Town Clerk, Vital and Town Records, 1626-2001 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FHRQ-QMS
  9. Essex County, Massachusetts, probate records and indexes 1638-1916 Old Series : Probate records, vols. 309-310, Book 9-10, 1705-1713. FHL film 875126 https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C9BM-RHQB-V?i=58&cat=412735 image 59 of 508 (page 95 inventory), entries on pages 86, 95, 195, 295,296

Acknowledgements



More Genealogy Tools



Sponsored Search




Is John your ancestor? Please don't go away!
 star icon Login to collaborate, or
 star icon contact private message private message a profile manager, or
 star icon ask our community of genealogists a question.
Sponsored Search by Ancestry.com

DNA Connections
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with John by comparing test results with other carriers of his Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA. Y-chromosome DNA test-takers in his direct paternal line on WikiTree: It is likely that these autosomal DNA test-takers will share DNA with John:

Have you taken a DNA test? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Ancestry DNA.

Login to post a comment.

On 5 Jun 2016 at 03:35 GMT Joe Cochoit wrote:

Prowse-223 and Prowse-10 appear to represent the same person because: same, same wife and dates

On 20 Sep 2015 at 21:20 GMT Rand Prouse wrote:

Prowse-223 and Prowse-10 appear to represent the same person because: I think the time has come to merge these two profiles. Since Turbevile can not be the mother of John because she was dead by the time of his birth it appears that George Prowse and Alice Kenn are the parents of John Prowse/Prouse.

What do you think?

Randall Proue

On 20 Jun 2015 at 18:42 GMT Dave Rutherford wrote:

Prowse-223 and Prowse-10 are not ready to be merged because: Parentage needs to be straightened out before a merge can proceed.

On 21 Apr 2015 at 15:22 GMT Ann (Thompson) Johnson wrote:

Prowse-223 and Prowse-10 appear to represent the same person because: Married to the same woman, most other information lines up

On 6 Dec 2014 at 00:33 GMT Rand Prouse wrote:

Prowse-223 and Prowse-10 are not ready to be merged because: I believe the John Prowses are identical!

I disagree that Richard Prowse and Honor Tubeville can be his parents! Honor Tubeville died May 16, 1612. John was born c 1643. No second marriage of Richard is available that I know of.

http://www.familycentral.net/index/family.cfm?ref15303:1183&ref25303:1184 It is more likely that John Prowse is the son of George Prowse and Alice Kenn are his parents.

http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/t/o/w/Gary-Towle/WEBSITE-0001/UHP-1045.html

John is 13 degrees from Thomas Edison, 23 degrees from Nikola Tesla and 17 degrees from George Westinghouse on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.

P  >  Prowse  >  John Prowse