Jane was born in the Tower Hamlets of Shadwell, a neighborhood of London. Later her family moved to Virginia.
She was reportedly quite close with her son, Thomas Jefferson, who became President of the USA.
Jane was also cousin to Peyton Randolph, 1st President of the Continental Congress.
Jane Randolph Grave Site
9 Feb 1720
- Jane Randolph was born in Shadwell Parish, London
3 Oct 1739
- Jane Randolph and Col. Peter Jefferson married in Goochland, Goochland, Virginia, USA 
31 Mar 1776
- Jane Randolph Jefferson died in Monticello, Albemarle, Virginia, USA
Jane Randolph Jefferson, née Jane Randolph (February 9, 1720 – March 31, 1776) was the wife of Peter Jefferson and the mother of president Thomas Jefferson. Born in Shadwell Parish, Tower Hamlets, London, she was the daughter of Isham Randolph and Jane Rogers, and a cousin of Peyton Randolph..
Early life and education
Randolph was born in one of the Tower Hamlets, Shadwell, a poor maritime neighborhood of London. She most likely immigrated to Virginia as a child with her family and that her education was received entirely at home. Little is known of her, for Jefferson rarely mentioned his mother in his extensive writings. According to the 20th-century biographer Merrill Peterson, she represented "zero quantity" in her son Thomas's life, although more recent scholarship questions Peterson's conclusions..
Marriage and family
Randolph married Peter Jefferson in Virginia in 1739. Together, they had the following children:
- Jane Jefferson (1740–1765) - close to her brother Thomas, she died unmarried at age 25.
- Mary Jefferson Bolling (1741–1811) - her husband John Bolling served in the Virginia House of Burgesses.
- Thomas Jefferson (1743–1826), third President of the United States
- Elizabeth Jefferson (1744–1774) - mentally handicapped
- Martha Jefferson Carr (1746–1811) - her husband Dabney Carr, Thomas Jefferson's best friend, helped launch the intercolonial Committee of Correspondence in Virginia in March 1773, the first step to coordinated colonial action against Great Britain.
- Peter Field Jefferson (1748)
- Unnamed Son (1750)
- Lucy Jefferson Lewis (1752–1810)
- Anna Scott Jefferson Marks (1755–1828) - twin of Randolph
- Randolph Jefferson (1755–1815) - twin of Anna Scott
Jane Randolph Jefferson died from what was described at the time as an "apoplexy" on March 31, 1776, barely three months before Jefferson wrote the Declaration of Independence..
- Kern, Susan. The Jeffersons at Shadwell. New Haven and London: Yale, 2010.
- Find A Grave Memorial #6531111, Maintained by: Find A Grave, Originally Created by: TM, 21 Jun 2002
- ↑ Some discrepancy on birthdate. Thomas Jefferson recorded February 9, 1720 in his Prayer Book (housed at Univeristy of Virginia Library). However, according to chancery information published in the Virginia Magazine of History and Biography 26, no. 3 (1918): 324, Jane was baptized on February 20, 1720, and was 15 days old at the time.
- ↑ Yates
- ↑ Entered by Lynda Hull.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with Jane by comparing test results with other carriers of her mitochondrial DNA. However, there are no known mtDNA test-takers in her direct maternal line. It is likely that these autosomal DNA test-takers will share DNA with Jane:
- Bob Williamson : 23andMe
- Irene (Elliott) Williams : 23andMe, GEDMatch M121636 + AncestryDNA, Ancestry member irene459 + Family Tree DNA Family Finder, GEDMatch T324186, FTDNA kit #133512
- Rose (Elliott) Rogers : 23andMe, GEDMatch M144224 + Family Tree DNA Family Finder, FTDNA kit #b2081
- Brenda (Elliott) Craig : 23andMe, GEDMatch M820459 + Family Tree DNA Family Finder, FTDNA kit #b16778
- Billy Elliott : 23andMe, GEDMatch M175413 + Family Tree DNA Family Finder, FTDNA kit #100202
- Gloria Glover : 23andMe, GEDMatch M135112
- David Smith : 23andMe, GEDMatch M420724
- Bob Matthews : AncestryDNA, GEDMatch A490751, Ancestry member RDOUGMATTHEWS
- Robert Banta : AncestryDNA, GEDMatch A442678, Ancestry member jrban138
- Allison (Bradbury) Kitchen : Family Tree DNA Family Finder, GEDMatch F440340, FTDNA kit #440340
- Grady Smith : Autosomal DNA Test, GEDMatch T384516
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
Images: 2 Collaboration
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On 6 Aug 2016 at 22:57 GMT US Presidents Project WikiTree wrote:
On 2 Aug 2016 at 23:11 GMT Jonathan Reed wrote:
Jane is 16 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 23 degrees from Ole Evinrude, 17 degrees from Abby Glann, 16 degrees from Charles Schulz and 13 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II Windsor on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.