The P*rr*tt Society is registered with the Guild of One-Name Genealogical Studies for those interested in the history of Perrotts, Perretts, Parrots, etc. The very knowledgeable volunteers who run it have done a fantastic job for over 30 years and I strongly recommend joining if you are connected.
My interest is the Perrotts of Wales, in particular Carmarthenshire and Pembrokeshire. The family's ancient origins, together with the spread of its many branches to all quarters of the globe, provide a fascinating story.
Walter Perrott of Laugharne (c1685 -1756) is my 6 x great-grandfather as can be seen by following the 'ancestors' link at the top of this page. He is the earliest of the line we've been able to definitely connect with so far but there are plenty of promising possibilities for further research yet to be explored (as detailed below.)
Contemporary Woodcut of the Great Flood
In 1526 Laugharne was described as a "vyllage " of 90 houses but after the 'Act of Union'  ten years later, it grew rapidly and by the late 16th century was the sixth largest settlement in Wales with 2000 + inhabitants, double those of today.  Gosport harbour could shelter 300-350 ton vessels before it was permanently silted up by the Great Flood of 1607. 
Outer Bristol Channel: Map showing 1607 water level of 9m
Despite this catastrophic event the township recovered and continued to prosper in subsequent centuries. 
Current Research: 17th Century Family Bibles in South Africa and Australia
This is Victorian copy of a 1781 manuscript entry in the family bible which was taken to Port Elizabeth, South Africa by Robert Rees Perrott (1866-1938) when he emigrated from Llanelli in 1896. The extract records a dispute in 1755 about a pew in Laugharne church involving James Perrott and is from a collection of family history documents written by Robert's sister, my great-grandmother Emily Jane (Perrott) Lewis.
We have studied the bible first hand in Durban and found her transcriptions of the many handwritten entries to be meticulously accurate. It was printed in 1634 and bought from William Skyrme (a Portreeve of Laugharne)  by Robert's great-grandfather Walter Perrott in 1781. In the margins of Psalm 28 he copied the account from his father's bible (with small but interesting changes ) that the disputed pew was "given to his Grandmother by Bishop Thomas  when he was Vicar." The identity of James' grandmother is currently uncertain.
Victoria State Librarian's Report of a 1615 "Barker" Family Bible
Fortunately, the bible owned by Walter's father James Perrott has also survived and is now in Australia. The book's last known location was in Mildura over 25 years ago  but its contents, as summarised above by a Victoria State librarian in 1983, have proved invaluable for our research. His description promised much: "Extensive genealogical notes on these and other members of the Perrott family of Bosheston, Pembrokeshire continue throughout the Psalms, from which it is likely a lengthy genealogy of the family could be constructed." The first Perrott ownership reference to a Thomas in 1701 is particularly interesting.  It is possible he could be Thomas Perrot of Llan-y-bri (Morblechurch) the noted 18th century Principal of Carmarthen Academy. 
The Australian family bible has come down from Walter's brother Thomas (1750-1815), Portreeve of Laugharne in 1792, via his brother David (1747-1820). David became a Burgess of Kidwelly and his great-grandson James Henry may have taken the bible to Australia in 1889.
The 1760 date when Walter's "Stile" was recorded in the copy of "The Noat" shown here, is rather problematic given his age at that time. His father James may have drowned in 1757, which might explain the unusual pattern of early ownership.  The "Walter his book 1750" inscription could well be by James' father who died in 1756.
If we could obtain photographs of all these manuscript additions, in order to compare them with known examples of family signatures and handwriting, important new connections may be made.
Current Research: Quaker Connections
"In 1688 George Fox visited Carmarthen, which served as a rallying point for the Quakers of Swansea, Tenby, Haverfordwest, and other unspecified districts. His object was to have monthly meetings settled regularly in good order. The minutes of the meetings thus regulated by Fox have been carefully recorded and kept. Burial places were also secured, that of Laugharne being probably the earliest in date. Marriages were solemnised in Quaker form, witnessed by the 'joining together in the Lord' of John Bowen & Mary Anthony in John Rees' mansion in Llansadurnen in 1712.
Not all the monthly meetings, not all the apparatus of a finely strung organisation, not all the piety and good works, availed to attach Carmarthenshire to the Quaker faith. There is no gainsaying the Churchwarden's reports. In 1684 they tell of a Quaker and his wife, both excommunicated at Laugharne, of a Quaker and his wife excommunicated in Llanboidy, the James Thomas who was distrained for not paying tithes in that year; of James Price the giddy-brained at Myddfai, and two reputed Quakers at St Ishmaels." Dr Thomas Richards 
Archdeacon Tenison's Visitation of Laugharne in 1710 recorded: "The Quakers, who have continued ever since the reign of K. Charles II, are two families." It may help to identify them from the Society of Friends archive or other records. According to a list of Carmarthen Dissenters or Non-Conformists one family may be that of John Thomas and his wife. It is possible the other was Richard and Hester (Burdge) Stafford, parents of Mary Stafford, wife of James Perrott,  brother to my direct ancestor Walter, who may be the sons of John, the youngest son of John Perrott of Laugharne who was possibly the son of Watkin Perrott of Laugharne. Some potential links are further evidenced in the Conjectural Pedigree in Section 1:4.
1726 Lease for "Quakers Yard"
Above is the transcription of a title deed of 1726 for the Cross Inn Quaker Burial Ground, Laugharne  purchased by Mary (nee Stafford), widow of James Perrott of the town. In 1742 Mary's nephew and devisee, John Stafford, leased land nearby, also formerly in her possession, for the erection of a Meeting House for The Religious Society of Friends. It was duly built, but then sold to "Storke of Laugharne for £80" in 1824 and by 1905 no remains were visible.  The 1840 sketch below was described as the interior of the same building. 
In 1827 Walter Perrott (1744-1833), who is my direct ancestor, wrote the following letter about his grandfather's brother, James Perrott (1674-1723), a Quaker of Laugharne. James' widow Mary (nee Stafford) had made lands over to the Society of Friends a century before and is the same person identified above in the lease of 1726. This is a significant discovery which takes my tree back a further generation.
Walter Perrott's letter about his grandfather James Perrott a Quaker & G. Eyre Evans FHS Article Extract ('The Welshman')
Current Research: Laugharne Corporation Records
Portreeve's Gold Cockleshell Chain
Laugharne Corporation, led by its Portreeve (O.E. porta-gerafa),  was created by Charter at a turbulent time in Welsh history. In 1172 Henry II had held parley with Gruffydd Ap Rhys at Laugharne Castle. After his death in 1189, Rhys seized St. Clears, Llanstephan and Laugharne, but soon lost them again to the crown. In 1215 Llywelyn the Great renewed the offensive and destroyed all three strongholds.
Llywelyn ap Gruffudd
The castle was recovered by William Marshall around 1223  and subsequently rebuilt in 1247 by the de Bryan family of Walwyn's Castle  as the southernmost of the Landsker line.  During 1257 and 1258 Llywelyn ap Gruffudd, the last sovereign Prince of Wales,  attacked towns and castles under Anglo-Norman control including Laugharne, which was again occupied and burnt.  Sir Guy IV was captured and ransomed in 1258. He died in 1268 and his son Guy V granted Laugharne its famous Charter in either 1290 or 1307.
The earliest records of the Courts Leet and Baron date from 1568: "The hundred of John Parrot, knight, held at the Guild Hall on 1st Oct 10 Elizabeth, before John Donn." Sir John Perrot  then held the Lordship at an annual rent of £80 paid to the Earl of Pembroke before it was granted to him outright by Elizabeth 1 in 1575. The Corporation History also records: "In 1660, the year of the Restoration of the Stuarts, the Portreeve, John Perrott, leads the rejoicing at the end of the 'sequestrators tyranny' as the Burial Register puts it. He pays Sir Sackville Crow, Lord of the Manor, £2.16s for "an ox to roast at the celebrations". The Common Walk was celebrated in great style. He says "Paid for one barrel of beer and tobacco on the perambulation, 15s."
Walter Perrott's grandson Thomas was also elected Portreeve by the Burgesses in 1792. He was a cordwainer living at Roche Castle House, a property incorporating parts of the medieval manor and adjacent to its ruins, which he bequeathed to his brother Walter.  This evidence confirms my direct ancestors as established Laugharne residents at the time.
When Laugharne Corporation records of burgess admissions  are made publicly available again, after Carmarthen R.O. is re-opened in the summer of 2019, they may shed new light on our family connections.
Current Research: The Perrots of Brook
Brook House, Llanddowror - as it is today
John Perrot (d.1560s) settled a cadet line of the armigerous Haroldston family at Brook in the parish of Llansadurnen, which was then enclaved by Laugharne and Llandawke, now part of the civil parish of Llanddowror. Under the terms of a 1584 deed of settlement for the estates of his nephew, the famous Sir John Perrot, provision was made for John's son Thomas Perrot"late of Broke, Carms. gent.," the grandson of Sir Owen Perrot.
In 1639 the Brook family was involved in a bitter Court of Chivalry case  challenging the right to use the Coat of Arms by the Herefordshire Perrotts.  It followed that branch inheriting the estates of Sir James Perrot, the illegitimate son of Sir John, in 1637.  Among those who gave evidence for the plaintiff were his kinsfolk Thomas Palmer and Lady Dorothy Mansell, both of Llansadurnen, together with Sir Henry Vaughan, son of Sir Walter Vaughan of Golden Grove, whose collection of 'ancient pedigrees' he cited.  The undisputed lineage of Thomas Perrot, who was placed at the Inns of Court by Sir James is shown in his petition below: 
Sir Owen Perrot of Haroldston, co. Pembroke, knt, had four sons, Robert, Thomas, Rhys and John.
Robert Perrot, the eldest son had no legitimate heirs.
Thomas Perrot, second son had a son, Sir John Perrot [rest faded]
Rhys Perrot, third son of had an illegitimate son named Rhys but no legitimate male heirs.
John Perrot, fourth son had a legitimate son, Thomas Perrot of Brooke, co. Carmarthen.
Thomas Perrot (b 1602) Esq of the City of London (the plaintiff) was the legitimate son of Thomas Perrot of Brooke, co. Carmarthen, gent, and so the male heir of Sir Owen Perrot.
"Although born in Bristol, the plaintiff, Thomas Perrot of London Esq, formerly of the Brook in Carmarthenshire, was lineally descended from Sir Owen Perrot's fourth son John (d.c.1560s). The Perrotts of Brook were cousins to Sir James Perrot with whom they (especially the plaintiff's father also named Thomas) were on good terms. Under the terms of a deed of settlement of his estates issued by Sir John Perrot in 1584, Thomas's father had been named as a beneficiary in the event of the deaths of the issuer's sons, namely Sir Thomas (d.1594), William (d.c.1587) and Sir James (d.1637). After Sir John's attainder for treason his estates were forfeit to the Crown and from 1594-1608 Sir James and Thomas (plaintiff's father) worked together to recover them."
Despite this early co-operation, the interests of the two parties were incompatible and Thomas Perrott, often in alliance with the Countess of Northumberland, later opposed Sir James' title to several substantial properties.
Dr. Roger Turvey has suggested Amy Perrott of Eglyws Cymmyn, "still living in 1699", may be the widow of "David Perrot, the last male of the Llansadurnen family".  She was, in fact, the wife of Lewis Perrott (d 1697), the eldest son of William Perrott of Llanfihangel Abercowin (d 1681).  Amy (Thurlow) Perrott, also born in Lewis' parish, was granted administration of his considerable estate at Pantyrhyad,  worth £646, in 1699. She was formerly married to Richard Chapman (d 1682), son of Richard (d 1687)  and Mary Chapman (d 1695). and died in 1739 in Eglyws Cymmyn.  Lewis and Amy had four children, William (b.1686 in Llanfihangel Abercowin), James, John and Joseph, all still living in 1700 according to the will of Sarah Chapman, their stepsister.  They may have continued the Perrott name in Eglyws Cymmyn but as descendants of the Llanfihangel Abercowin family.
David Perrott was the eldest son of Griffith Perrott (d 1636) of Llansadurnen.  He married Dorothy and they had three daughters, Ann (b. 1669), Bridget (b. 1672), and Margaret (1675-1762). Ann married William Smith and Bridget married Francis Hinton in a double wedding at Llansadurnen Church on 20th October 1692. Margaret married Thomas Sare about 1698. His cousin, Elizabeth Sare, married Walter Perrott on 23 June 1705 at Llansadurnen church and we believe he died in Llansadurnen in 1729.  David died on 1 Jul 1700 and Dorothy a year later, both in Llansadurnen. Griffith and Margaret's second son, Rhys, died in 1700 but nothing further is known about their youngest child William, who was also named in Griffith's will in 1636.
William Perrott's signature on his will in 1681 and as a witness to John Perrott's will in 1675
There is no evidence yet that any of my direct ancestors had a firm connection with these groups. John Perrott (d 1675) Portreeve of Laugharne,  could well be the son of Watkin (Walter) Perrott (d 1629) and Watkin's other son, William, may be William of Llanfihangel Abercowin (d.1681), also referenced above, whose signature witnesses John's will.
With smallpox epidemics clearing the field of other suitable candidates,  it is possible (but as yet there is no proof of his parentage) that my direct ancestor Walter was the son of John Perrott. If so, he may be grandson of Watkin of Laugharne, likely to be a brother or cousin to both Thomas of Brook and Griffith of Llansadurnen. All three could be either among, or descended from, the reputed 12 children of John Perrott of Brook,  fourth son of Sir Owen.
Conjectural Pedigree for the Ps of Laugharne, Llansadurnen, Llanfihangel Abercowin & Eglwys Cymmyn
In the absence (to date) of a birth record or will reference, the conjectured relationship placing Walter as the son of John Perrott is based, in addition to consistent dates and naming patterns, on the following evidence:
1: My direct ancestor, Walter Perrott (1744-1833), wrote a letter  stating that his grandfather's brother was James Perrott, a Quaker of Laugharne, which was confirmed by the Society of Friends in Pembrokeshire.
2: A John Perrott, currently thought to be Walter's father, was a member of the Haverforwest Quaker Meeting in 1699 
Location of Early Perrott Family Groups in South Carmarthenshire
If you are also interested in researching this family please get in touch via the message links above.
A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE PERROTTS
Three pears often feature on the Coats of Arms associated with the family
Family Origins in Wales
"In South Wales there was a halt of some twelve years to the Norman conquest, due to the recognition by William II of the claims of its king, Rhys ap Tewdwr, a descendant Hywel Dda, who had defeated his rivals at the Battle of Mynydd Cam in Pembrokeshire in 1081. But on the death of Rhys in 1093 all obstacles were removed; Glamorgan fell to Robert fitz Hamon, Brecknock to Bernard of Neufmarche, Dyfed and Ceredigion to the House of Montgomery. All that was worth having went to French-speaking soldiers, from Monmouth to St. David’s; only the barren hills and the remote woodland retreats were left to the ancient denizens of the country. Such was the position in South Wales at the death of Henry I in 1135." J.E.Lloyd 
Intermarriage was the norm between Norman-descended Marcher barons  and Welsh ruling houses.  The pedigrees of these bonheddig familes,  as set down by their herald/bards, are based on oral traditions now considered to have significant value as historical records. They show the advenae Perrot connection by marriage to Elynor, a descendant of Hywel Dda, and back through him his the earliest Cymry ancestors. 
As a descendant of Rhodri Mawr, Hywel (c. 880–948) was a scion of the House of Dinefwr  and King of Deheubarth,  who came to rule most of Wales. Recorded as King of the Britons in the Annales Cambriae, the National Assembly building is named Tŷ Hywel (“Hywel's House”) in his honour. The Dinefwr dynasty ruled in Deheubarth until the annexation of Wales by Edward I in 1283. 
'The Haroldston Calendar'  Earliest surviving Perrot Pedigree
The name "le Pirot" occurs on the much disputed Battle Abbey Roll of knights accompanying William I in 1066.  The family are also listed in the Domesday Book as holding substantial tenures in 1086 and were well established in Kent by 1136.
Even though Wales wasn't fully conquered until 1282, several independent early pedigrees give Stephen Perrot of Jestynton as the first Norman settler of the name in Pembrokeshire.  According to them he married Elynor, "daughter and co-heir of Meirchion ap Rhys, ap Rydderch, ap Jestyn, ap Gwrgao, ap Hywel Dda, from which Jestyn this place received its name."
The Perrot lineage in Wales is often uncertain, inconsistent and difficult to date accurately before the 1290s. Identifying later fabrications is clearly crucial but modern historiography also takes full account of corroborating pedigrees based on primary sources which record early indigenous connections with the advenae. 
Despite inconsistencies in chronology such pre-Conquest genealogies provide powerful evidence confirming the intermarriage of the Perrots with the princely families of south west Wales during the 12th century. 
From the 16th century onwards pedigrees became increasingly detailed as they gained importance as warranties of property and inheritance.  The customary Welsh patronymic forms, usually without surnames, were gradually replaced by sophisticated heraldic tabular charts.
Ancient arwyddvarrd sources, on which the very early history of many noble families relied, continued to be incorporated but often with creative embellishment. For example, the 1849 edition of Burke's Landed Gentry still contained just such imaginative amendments and was subject to contemporary criticism as a result. 
'Who then were the Perrots?' asks Dr Roger Turvey  "By the early 16th century they were powerfully planted in south-west Wales, establishing themselves firmly throughout Pembrokeshire. At this time the family consisted of several branches settled at [first Eastington  then] Scotsborough with its cadet at Tenby, Haverfordwest, Kidwelly, Cheriton and the main line at Haroldston outside Haverfordwest.  The Perrots were a Pembrokeshire phenomenon and represent the classic tale of a family’s rise from obscurity to dominance in the space of two centuries. They were among the county’s largest landowners with estates scattered throughout the earldom and its constituent lordships. The family’s success was due to the hard work of talented individuals who ensured that each generation contributed something to enhancing their social, political and economic power."
Eastington (Jestynton) Fortified Peel Tower, Angle Bay,& Haroldston (Steward's Tower), Haverfordwest Both early Perrot seats in Pembrokeshire
Sir John Perrot
"The Man & The Myth" by Dr Roger Turvey Laugharne Castle Corbel of Sir John's Head
Sir John Perrot (1528-92), most famous of the Haroldston line, was Lord Deputy of Ireland from 1584 to 1588. A great Elizabethan  from Pembrokeshire, now restored by modern scholarship to his rightful place in history.  In 1589, after his return from Ireland, he was elevated to the Privy Council, but then suffered a spectacular downfall, being falsely charged with treason in 1590. 
Lord Burghley  masterminded a secretive, deadly attack on Perrot, in order to cover up the corrupt administration of Ireland after his departure by Burghley's late wife's cousin, Lord Deputy Fitzwilliam. Tried and found guilty in April 1592, he was not executed but died in the Tower seven months later, probably poisoned by his enemies fearing a pardon.
"Perrot, who did not conform as other men do, has never failed to excite and interest those who have come across his life story, tragic though its end may be. He is an attractive and influential figure certainly to be counted among the dozen second rank of supporting actors on the Elizabethan stage."
"In Pembrokeshire and Wales he dominated; in Ireland he ruled; and in England and in Court, he competed, and it was here he lost. Today it is he who is remembered and not those anonymous few who brought him down."
Two of the later Ps were also prominent as Dissenters in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. One was the early Quaker schismatic John Perrot (c1627-1671),  who set out to convert the Pope in 1658. He had a wife and children in Waterford but was claimed by contemporaries to come from Sedburgh  where he was reputed to have been a blacksmith.
After three years imprisonment in Rome he was released and came to England. His amazing exploits are recounted, albeit with questionable dramatic license, in this Irish TV programme.
Following a short but turbulent period of preaching and a famous disagreement with George Fox  about wearing hats during worship, he emigrated to Barbados in 1662 and from there visited the Quakers of Virginia. He died in Jamaica around 1671, survived by his wife Elizabeth and at least two children.
Thomas Perrot: Principal of Carmarthen Academy
The other influential figure in this tradition was Thomas Perrot of Llan-y-bri (c1670 -1733). 
In the 14th century Llan-y-bri,  the birthplace of Thomas, was a bond village called Morabri (Morblechurch) part of the Lordship of Llanstephan. His father John  was from a long established family of Perrots settled throughout the area. They could well have been a distant branch of the Scotsborough line, possibly via John Griffiths Perrot whose daughter Angharad seems to have married a Iuwan Lloyd in the late 1550s. 
Llanybri Old Chapel in 1933 and as it is now
At the centre of Llanybri stood Morbrichurch, now Hen Gapel, whose battlemented tower was visible for miles around. The ruins of this medieval chapel of ease, which shaped Thomas' early life, still survive. It was converted by Stephen Hughes, ‘The Apostle of Carmarthenshire’  and used as a Conventicle  by dissenters in the late seventeenth and early eighteenth centuries.
The Memorial Hall, Albert Square, Manchester. Erected in 1862 to mark the Bicentennial of The Great Ejection.
The Act of Uniformity  in 1662, together with the resulting Great Ejection  of Dissenters, was described  as an "injury to the cause of true religion in England which will probably never be repaired." It resulted in the formation of Dissenting Academies  but by the 19th century their original purpose to provide a higher education was superseded by the founding of new universities which were open to non-conformists, and by the reform of Oxford and Cambridge.
Thomas Perrot attended Abergavenny Academy  where he was the pupil of Roger Griffith, who succeeded Samuel Jones of Brynllywarch,  himself an eminent casualty of The Great Ejection. When Griffiths conformed,  and resigned from Abergavenny in 1702, Perrot moved to Shrewsbury to study with James Owen, a former assistant of Stephen Hughes who was tutored from c.1670 by Samuel Jones. He was ordained at Knutsford in Cheshire on 6 August 1706 and became schoolmaster at Newmarket in Flintshire (1706–14) from where he moved to Bromborough in anticipation of the Schism Act.
Heol Awst, Carmarthen built 1726 enlarged 1862. Home to Thomas Perrot's Academy until 1733.
Following William Evans' death in 1719, Thomas became minister of Heol Awst Presbyterian Church (Lammas St), and Tutor of Carmarthen Academy  teaching Classics, Greek, Hebrew, Metaphysics, Logic, Theology, Chronology and Natural Philosophy (Science).
In 1732 Perrot  delivered a glass vial to the Royal Society, "containing a partially formed chicken, whose belly seem’d to be the Egg cover’d with a soft skin". His paper on it was given by his friend, the celebrated scientist, dissenting tutor and Royal Society Fellow John Eames.
Thomas Perrot  inherited some property from his father John who died in 1726, and he greatly benefited from his marriage with Eleanor Lloyd,  daughter of Henry and Martha Lloyd of Llanstephan mansion. When Thomas transferred some property to his brother-in-law in 1728, he was styled as 'gent'. His will in 1734 names Eleanor as executrix and mentions brothers John and William and sisters Anne, Jennet and Elizabeth. It reveals Thomas as a well-to-do person. Twelve rooms can be identified in his home. He had a substantial library, worth £40, and a Celestial and Terrestrial Ball, valued at £3 10s. On his death in 1733, his Jeremy Owen  praised his "excellent friend" as "free from bias, a man of impartiality and moderation." A late 18thcentury account of the dissenters’ academies described Perrot simply as "of great learning."
Thomas had a daughter, Mary, described as his only surviving child in 1768, and as a 'spinster of Carmarthen' in the Lloyd Papers.  His widow was alive in 1744, when the Carmarthen student, Thomas Morgan, bought six books from her. Thomas Perrot’s brother John  was a Presbyterian minister in Wotton-under-Edge Gloucestershire from 1720 and died there in 1749. John's son, Samuel, attended Carmarthen Academy from 1753-57 and subsequently became a Unitarian minister in Ireland. In 1732 Thomas seems to have taught another nephew, also a Thomas, who later ministered at Blakeney and Kingswood.
Here is the Carmarthenshire entry  from RootsWeb's invaluable Perrott pages.
The Perrott familes in these two places looked at each other across this narrow channel for centuries.
Were they related? Hope so - all we need is the evidence!
↑ River and sea trade flourished in the area as a result of the increased freight of lime, a commodity that transformed agriculture and which, in turn, stimulated growth in traffic of other goods which contributed to an improving local economy. (see extract from Laugharne's Maritime Past) A period of relative decline occurred towards the end of the 18th century but population levels recovered by 1830 before later mass migration to developing industrial areas during the period between 1850 to 1880. (see Laugharne Population Chart)
↑ This was Bishop William Thomas of Worcester (1613-89), incumbent at Laugharne and Llansadurnen from 1639 until 1644. In that year he was famously ejected from the church at pistol point by the Cromwellian cavalry and later deprived of his livings. see Antiquities of Laugharne: Mary Curtis p 100 Throughout the Commonwealth period he kept a private school in the town, which continued until 1670. He returned at the restoration of Charles II and remained as vicar until 1683 when he was transferred from his St Davids see. Thomas was rewarded for his brave loyalty by being immediately appointed precentor of St David's. He subsequently held the rectory of Lampeter Velfrey, Pembrokeshire and in 1661 was made chaplain to the duke of York. In November 1665 he was appointed dean of Worcester and after being presented in 1670 to the rectory of Hampton Lovett, in 1677 became Bishop of St. Davids. He continued to hold his deanery ‘in commendam' after leaving Laugharne when translated to the see of Worcester.
↑ It's frustrating that we've found no hard evidence of any other Thomas P in the area at this time. The Bishop's Transcripts for Laugharne do record a "Thomas and Jane Perrott" having a daughter Sarah in 1678. Earlier a "Thomas Perrott" appears in the debts owed/owing list in Watkin Perrott's will in 1629. see Thomas P Signature 1629 Presumably the same Thomas whose will in 1633 reads: "To be buried in Laugharne Church. Daughters, Jane, Margaret & Elizabeth. All my goods to my wife Margaret and her 'three children'. Son Walter, executor." Finding out more about this family group could be very helpful.
↑ Deed of Gift 22 January 1632 Property in Llansadurnen Gift of property in Llansadurnen from John Lloyd, St Twynnells, Pembs. to Griffith Perrott. Witnesses Thomas Palmer, Richard Evans, Richard Reynish.
Probate 25 January 1636 • Llansadurnen, Carmarthenshire, Wales
Griffith Perrott Will dated 3 Jan 1636. Bequests to David, William and Rice Perrott (sons), Bridget Perrott (daughter), Jane (wife). Executor Jane (wife). Witnesses Rice Palmer, Richard Harry, David Hew (?).
↑ They had a son William in 1708 in Laugharne and a daughter Margaret in Llansadurnen in 1712. See Marriage Settlement: 17 August 1700 • Property - house and land in Llansadurnen: Post-marriage settlement of Thomas Sare and Margaret Perrott. 1. David Perrott of Llansadurnen, yeoman. 2. Richard Reynolds, Llansadurnen, yeoman and David Harry Pantyglace, Laugharne, yeoman. Property - house and land in Llansadurnen.
↑ Plague was a recurring threat between 1650-1750:"In Haverforwest 1652 opened gloomily. On New Year Day (March 25th) there were three deaths; two of these were Parrotts. At the mayor's expense two shrouds were delivered to Walter Parrott, who had already lost a child on the 13th. There were three deaths on the 27th, and four on the 28th. On the 29th Walter Parrott and Margrett his wife followed their children to the tomb. The Plague in Haverfordwest (1895) Rev J Phillips Other diseases such as smallpox, cholera, dysentery were also prevalent in the ports of South West Wales. A smallpox epidemic in 1681/2 claimed many lives in Laugharne and the surrounding area, again including several Perrotts. William, Elizabeth, Mary, James, Walter and two Johns all succumbed. "In 1729, many people died of the Tertian Plague" (Note in Registers NLW) - Joseph, Francis & Ann Perrott died in Laugharne and Walter Perrott in Llansadurnen
↑ this may be the source of an old research note: '12 sons, including a George and a Thomas, Chancery 1544-57'. An important reference which needs further investigation see also Turvey JPHS Until Death Us Do Part- Ref:32
↑ "Another feature of the Anglo-Norman penetration, as shown by the pedigrees and other evidences, is the large amount of intermarriage that took place between the Welsh and their conquerors. This intermarriage had been employed by the ruling houses from early times as a matter of policy. [...] The Anglo-Normans married Welsh women also as a matter of policy, and this is especially noticeable in the pedigrees of South Wales families. The Turbervilles and Perrotts, Malefants and Butlers, Flemings and Berkerolles, all acquired property and peaceful possession by espousing Welsh wives." An Approach to Welsh Genealogy by Francis Jones
↑ "In medieval use, bonheddig applied to the national aristocracy in the widest sense, as opposed to peasants (taeog ), foreigners (alltud ) or slaves (caeth ). After kings (brenhinoedd ), princes (tywysogion), and lords (arglwyddi ) the next class consisted of the noblemen (uchelwyr/ breyr/gwyrda), who may have been perhaps the equivalent of the nobiliores and optimates. This class was also based on blood relationship, but does not appear to have been very clearly defined, and it is sometimes identified with the next class, the bonheddig. [...] The bulk of the nation was made up of bonheddig - the free tribesmen, forming at least 75 per cent of the population. The word "bonheddig" means, literally, a man with a pedigree, and under the Welsh law, unless a man had a pedigree, he was socially, politically, and economically, a nobody." An Approach to Welsh Genealogy by Francis Jones
"Above all, as his reign progressed, Henry 1 used the Welsh Marches as a pool of rewards often favouring lesser families who could be expected seriously to pursue the task of imposing Norman control. There are many uncertainties in our knowledge of the descent of castles and lordships in the period before 1200. A fully documented check-list of these is an urgent desideratum of Welsh medieval scholarship. Age of Conquest: Wales 1063-1415 by R.R.Davies.
↑ The view that the later Perrots embellished their own lineage by allegedly adding extra generations using fabricated native genealogies could possibly be tested by detailed philological analysis. This may show whether these arwyddveirdd (herald/bards) pedigrees were in manuscript form centuries before the earliest surviving versions. See: When Was Welsh Literature First Written Down by J. Koch + L Dwnn
↑ "It was, however, in Pembrokeshire that the (Perrot) family flourished so extensively and so vigorously from a period soon after the Norman invasion till the reign of Elizabeth. By marriages considerable estates were successively acquired; in which judicious practice they were followed by others of the same class,—such, especially, as the Wogans. These two great houses of the Perrots and Wogans, partly owing to the isolated position of the county, and partly to the policy of keeping up their influence, so frequently intermarried between themselves and the other leading families of the county, that there are few, if any, gentlemen of ancient lineage remaining in Pembrokeshire who are not more or less connected with either or both families q.v. - Barnwell P Notes p 4
In Henry Perrot of Gawr-y-Coed Dr Turvey writes "Contrary to the historically accepted story the Perrots first appear in the county not in the 1120s but in the 1290s; post- conquest Wales. They were advenae esquires or new blood of English origin who established themselves as military tenants of the de Valence earls of Pembroke." It has been further speculated that Stephen Perrot (c1260-c1338) of Popton, Pembrokeshire was not the son of Peter, as in the sources below, but of Sir Ralph Perot V (c1236-1305) of Kent, who "served in the campaign in Wales under Henry III in 1257, attended the King in France in 1259, and was summoned for service in Wales in 1263." The accepted date of the first Perrots arrival in Wales was challenged in detail in his 1988 thesis The Ps & Their Circle etc.
↑Burke's Landed Gentry"William, son of Edwal of Penfro in Dyfed and Alfwyna, was surnamed De Perrott from Castel Perrott which Edwal built in Armorica Brittany and the town of Perrott one league from it. Many British nobles having settled in that country who had accompanied his great ancestor Cadwallader there on his pilgrimage to Rome. He came over to England in 957 and obtained some lands in Wessex on a river which changed its name to the Perrott, now corrupted to the Parret, in Somersetshire but was constrained to return to Armorica. His grandson William furnished the Conqueror with his quota of ships and men and came over with him, for which, with other service in the field, he was knighted. Sir Richard then went to take possession of the lands his forefather held in Somersetshire and began there a city whose remains are North and South Perrott."
↑"Perhaps this is oldest non-conformist house of worship in Wales. This building was taken over around 1675 by Stephen Hughes ‘The Apostle of Carmarthenshire’ and used for independent worship until his death in 1688. It is a long, narrow building, on the exact form of the old churches, with a belfry at the gable end. Stephen Hughes was given a licence to preach in a dwelling house in the parish of Llanstephan in 1672, when Charles II announced freedom for the non-conformists, which was most certainly intended to favour the Catholics. It is almost certain that the Old Chapel was not in non-conformist possession at that time, unless Hughes named it as the place which obtained the licence. It is apparent that Stephen Hughes was the minister here from the beginning of the cause until the death of that good man in the year 1688."Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (1871) T. Rees & J. Thomas.
An ecclesiastical survey in 1715 notes: "This is a Chapel belonging to Llan 'Stephan. The present Impropriator is Mr Champion of the Inner Temple, since the Civil Warre 40s a year was paid by the Impropriator as I am inform'd to a Minister for reading Prayers here, upon his withdrawing the Salary Prayers were neglect'd to be read here, & the Chapel was suffer'd to decay. After it was decay'd William Evans William Evans who has the Care of the Seminary of Dissenters at Carmarthen is said to have taken a Lease of the Chapel of the Impropriator at the rent of 10s a year or under,upon which by contribution from the Presbyterians it was repair'd by them for the space of about 10 years has been kept in repair & made use of for a Conventicle."Visitation of Carmarthen 1710