Categories: The Bahamas.
Benjamin was born 30th June 1877 in Marsh Harbour, Abaco, Bahamas to Bob Roberts and Mary Sawyer. In about the 1880's his family and paternal grandparents moved to Key West, Florida and joined other Roberts relatives already there. His parents and siblings later moved back to Marsh Harbour. He was a boat carpenter and built at least one three masted schooner. His family also had a grocery store in Marsh Harbour. He and his brother Willias received a Crown Grant for the northern end of Great Guana Cay, Abaco where they developed a sisal farm. The mill is now a landmark at the Baker's Bay Golf & Ocean Club. In 1928, as a result of the devastating 21st October 1926 Havana hurricane, he moved his family via the former mailboat Albertine Adoue to a newly built home in Sears Addition in Nassau. He worked at Symonette's shipyard and later at John S. George hardware. His carpentry tools are on display at the Bahamas Historical Society Museum. He passed away on 18th July 1962 and was buried in Ebenezer Methodist Church Cemetery in Nassau, Bahamas.
Earlier in his life he had the nickname of "Barrett" to distinguish him from an older Benjamin Edward Roberts who also lived in Marsh Harbour. Barrett was also the nickname of Bennie's paternal grandfather Thomas W. Roberts.
Can you add any information on Benjamin Roberts? Please help grow his WikiTree profile. Everything you see here is a collaborative work-in-progress.
- ↑ Paternal relationship is confirmed by a 37 out of 37 Y-DNA marker match between this Family Tree DNA yDNA test for Peter Roberts and this Family Tree DNA yDNA test of his paternal line cousin Roberts-7266.
- ↑ Maternal relationship is confirmed by a triangulated group consisting of Peter Roberts GEDmatch F008867, Kris Sjostrom GEDmatch A936004 and Elizabeth Collins GEDmatch FE16264 sharing a 10.8 cM segment on chromosome 1 from 163621974 to 173712569.
- ↑ "Another settlement, called Marsh Harbor, is noteworthy only as being the home of an American, Mr. Benjamin E. Roberts, who owns the largest sisal plantation in the Bahamas, 140 acres, set with 107,000 plants." "The Bahama Group; Sailing about among the Picturesque 'Out Islands'" (News) Fannie B. Ward. The Daily Inter Ocean Sunday, July 14, 1895; p. 38; Issue 112; col A. Benjamin would have only been 18 years old.
- ↑ Entered by Peter Roberts, Thursday, July 11, 2013.
- ↑ Peter J. Roberts' Interview with Una Roberts, daughter of the younger Benjamin.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with Bennie by comparing test results with other carriers of his Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA. Y-chromosome DNA test-takers in his direct paternal line on WikiTree:
- Peter Roberts : Family Tree DNA Y-DNA Test 67 markers, haplogroup I-Z59, Ysearch 97ZDB, FTDNA kit #8867
- Anonymous Roberts : Family Tree DNA Y-DNA Test 37 markers, haplogroup I-Z59, Ysearch 9WCMS, FTDNA kit #107901
- George Sawyer : Family Tree DNA mtDNA Test HVR1 and HVR2, haplogroup T2f1a, Mitosearch B79JY, FTDNA kit #26486
- Timothy Higgs : Family Tree DNA mtDNA Test HVR1 and HVR2, haplogroup T2f1a, Mitosearch MCGY8, FTDNA kit #148096
- Betty (Roberts) Maxwell : 23andMe + Family Tree DNA Family Finder, GEDMatch T527089, FTDNA kit #13628
- Lana Payne : 23andMe, GEDMatch M191333
- Peter Roberts : Family Tree DNA Family Finder, GEDMatch T412069, FTDNA kit #8867
- Jack Sawyer : Family Tree DNA Family Finder, GEDMatch T030102, FTDNA kit #240900
- William Roberts : Family Tree DNA Family Finder, GEDMatch T655183, FTDNA kit #371246
- Joy (Lowe) Jossi : Family Tree DNA Family Finder, GEDMatch T388818, FTDNA kit #80156
- Robinson Weatherford : Family Tree DNA Family Finder, GEDMatch T251923, FTDNA kit #63938
- I E Lowe : Family Tree DNA Family Finder, GEDMatch T829035, FTDNA kit #310477
- Susan Higgs : Family Tree DNA Family Finder, GEDMatch T371345, FTDNA kit #236991
- Anonymous Roberts : Family Tree DNA Family Finder, GEDMatch T048625, FTDNA kit #373541
- M Pinder : Family Tree DNA Family Finder, GEDMatch T496941, FTDNA kit #183929
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
Images: 2 Collaboration
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On 7 Aug 2015 at 03:28 GMT Anne B wrote:
Also "style" wise. We don't usually use the footnotes heading anymore, so I've removed it.
Do you have source/s for his birth and death dates and places? If so they should be added. Because this person has not been dead that long, it may be personal knowledge, or something your mother etc. told you, or perhaps you have access to his death certificate.
Bennie is 22 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 14 degrees from Stephen Hopkins, 25 degrees from Ben Kingsley, 25 degrees from David Selman and 17 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.