James Roosevelt was the oldest son of President Franklin D. Roosevelt (FDR) and Eleanor Roosevelt. Although he attended Harvard University, he never graduated.
In 1939 he resigned a lieutenant colonel's commission in order to join the Marine Corps Reserves. He went on activity duty in 1940. In 1941, he was sent on a political assignment by his father to the Middle East.
After Pearl Harbor, he requested combat duty. He went on to become second-in-command of the 2nd Marine Raider Battalion.
He retired from active duty in October 1945, with rank of Colonel, but continued on in the Marine Corps Reserves and eventually retired in 1959 at the rank of Brigadier General.
He was employed as an insurance executive until 1937, when he became secretary to his father in the White House.
James Roosevelt died at the age of 83 in 1991 of complications from a stroke and Parkinson's disease. He was the last surviving child of Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt.
This person was created through the import of Howland Mayflower-dude.ged on 12 September 2010. The following data was included in the gedcom. You may wish to edit it for readability.
- Source: #S-2091054882
- Page: Ancestry Family Trees
- Source S-2091054882
- Repository: #R-2091054883
- Title: Ancestry Family Trees
- Publication: Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com. Original data: Family Tree files submitted by Ancestry members.
- Note: This information comes from 1 or more individual Ancestry Family Tree files. This source citation points you to a current version of those files. Note: The owners of these tree files may have removed or changed information since this source citation was created.
No REPO record found with id R-2091054883.
This biography is a rough draft. It was auto-generated by a GEDCOM import and needs to be edited.
- User ID: C51FA3A933F84B6C9515E689A09E550AC8C0
- Data Changed:
- Date: 13 Mar 2007
Prior to import, this record was last changed 13 Mar 2007.
- WikiTree profile Roosevelt-144 created through the import of Cheney 21 Feb 2012.ged on Feb 21, 2012 by Deborah Mayes. See the Changes page for the details of edits by Deborah and others.
- Source: S178 Abbreviation: The White House, www.whitehouse.gov Title: The White House, www.whitehouse.gov Text: The White House, www.whitehouse.gov, accessed March 13, 2007 Paranthetical: Y
- Source: S179 Abbreviation: www.fdrlibrary.marist.edu/children Title: www.fdrlibrary.marist.edu/children Text: www.fdrlibrary.marist.edu/children, accessed March 13, 2007 Paranthetical: Y
- Note NI1180,
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of James's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests and no close relatives have taken a 23andMe, AncestryDNA, or Family Tree DNA "Family Finder" test.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
Images: 1 Collaboration
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.
James is 11 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 29 degrees from Ole Evinrude, 18 degrees from Abby Glann, 20 degrees from Charles Schulz and 11 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II Windsor on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.