[private brother (1950s - unknown)]
Profile last modified 16 Sep 2019
| Created 27 Sep 2013 | Last significant change: 15 Sep 2019
This page has been accessed 3,074 times.
Ron was born in 1955 in Toledo, Ohio. He is the son of Don Rowland and Norma Jean Wilson.
The American Revolution: Ron is a direct descendant of eight men that served the Patriotic cause of the American Revolution and are cataloged by the Daughters of the American Revolution.
- Robert Rowland (1735-1799) is the 5th great grandfather of Ron. Robert was a Private in the Revolutionary War, serving under Capt Laird, Lt Reed, and Col Ross in the 6th Battalion of the York County Pennsylvania Militia.
- Edward Wiggins (1739-1799) is the 5th great grandfather of Ron. Edward was a Private in the Revolutionary War, serving with Capt. Ritchie in the Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania Militia.
- John Donnell (1741-1781) is the 5th great grandfather of Ron. John served a tour of active duty in Captain William Love's Company of the Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania. Militia.
- John Dull (1753-1835) s the 4th great grandfather of Ron. He served as a private under the command of Captain Rundio of the Northampton County Pennsylvania Flying Camp.
- John Wilson (1746-1817) is the 5th great grandfather of Ron. John served in the American Revolution as part of the Washington County, Virginia Militia.
- Nathaniel Dryden (1745-1780) is the 5th great grandfather of Ron. Nathaniel was a Lieutenant under Col. William Campbell of South Carolina. He died in the Battle of King's Mountain and is buried there.
- Arthur Orr Sr (1753-1814) is the 5th great grandfather of Ron. Arthur Sr provided "Patriotic Service" for Lancaster or York County, Pennsylvania.
- Arthur Orr the Elder (1727-1808) is both a 5th great grandfather and 6th great grandfather to Ron. Arthur the Elder provided "Patriotic Service" and "Civil Service" for York County, Pennsylvania.
Kings & Queens: Ron's grandfathers ruled Normandy and other parts of France for hundreds of years before conquering England and expanding their empire. From Rollo the Dane (Viking and 1st Duke of Normandy) to William the Conqueror (Duke of Normandy and King of England) to Edward I Longshanks (Monarch of England and Wales), Ron is a direct descendant of the Dukes of Normandy (911-1135), English Kings from the House of Norman (1066-1154), and English Kings from the House of Plantagenet (1154-1307).
There is no way that this makes Ron unique or special, because genealogy is a great example of exponential mathematics. If William the Conqueror is indeed Ron's 27th great grandfather, then William is only one of Ron's 536 million 27th great grandparents. Rollo the Dane is but one of Ron's 4.3 billion 30th great grandparents (not that many people on the planet). Even DNA cannot confirm such minute traces.
Coming the other way, descendant math is even more exponential. If you assume 3, 4, 5, or more children per generation, then you quickly reach the point of having more descendants than there are people on the entire planet. In fact, it's been said that everyone of European ancestry is a descendant of Charlemagne and one of his 18 children. Due to inter-marriages and extinct lines, it's more of a family web than a tree. Everyone alive today probably descends from royalty. That said, here we go...
- Charlemagne "King of the Franks, Emperor of the Romans" Carolingian (748-814). Charlemagne is the 9th great grandfather to William the Conqueror, making him the 39th great grandfather to Ron. Again, nothing special, as it is believed that everyone with a European ancestor is a descendant of Charlemagne.
- Rollo "The Dane, 1st Duke of Normandy" Normandie (804-931) is the 30th great grand father of Ron. Rollo was a Viking who became the first ruler of Normandy from 911 to 927 (16 years). His 3rd great grandson, William the Conqueror, became the first Norman king of England.
- William I "Longsword, Duke of Normandy" Normandie (900-942) is the 29th great grandfather of Ron. Reign: 927-942 (15 years).
- Richard I "The Fearless, Sans Peur, Duke of Normandy" Normandie (933-996) is the 28th great grandfather of Ron. Reign: 17 Dec 942 to 20 Nov 996 (53 years).
- Richard II "The Good, Duke of Normandy" (963-1026) is the 28th great grandfather of Ron. Reign: 996-1026 (30 years).
- Richard III "Duke of Normandy" (997-1027 ) is the 27th great grandfather of Ron. The first son of Richard I, his reign lasted only 11 months (26 Aug 1036 to 6 August 1027).
- Robert "The Magnificent, Duke of Normandy" (1000-1035) is the 28th great grandfather of Ron. Another son of Richard II, his reign of Normandy was from 1027-1035.
- William I the Conqueror "Duke of Normandy, King of England" Normandie is the 27th great grandfather of Ron. Reign: 25 Dec 1066 to 9 Sep 1087 (20 years). William, the Duke of Normandy, became the first Norman King of England, following his successful conquest of England.
- Henry I "King of England" Normandie (1068-1135) is the 26th great grandfather of Ron. Reign: 2 Aug 1100 to 1 Dec 1135 (35 yrs).
- Stephen I "King of the English, Duke of Normandy" Blois (1092-1154) is the 28th great grandfather of Ron. Reign: 22 Dec 1135 to 25 Oct 1154 (18 years). Stephen was a weak king, and the decade long civil war known as the The Anarchy essentially ended his reign. The Treaty of Westminster stipulated that upon his death, the throne would go to Henry Plantagenet.
- Foulques V "Count of Anjou, King of Jerusalem" d'Anjou (1092-1144) is the 28th great grandfather of Ron. He was the Count of Anjou from 1109-1129 and the King of Jerusalem from 1131-1143. His son Geoffrey V "Plantagenet, Count of d'Anjou" d'Anjou used the nickname of Plantagenet, and his grandson Henry II "King of England" Plantagenet established the Plantagenet line.
- Henry II "King of England" Plantagenet (1133-1189) is the 24th great grandfather of Ron. Reign: 19 Dec 1154 to 6 Jul 1189 (34 years). Henry of Anjou (France) was a strong king and excellent soldier. He started the English Jury System but is mostly known for his conflict with Thomas A Becket, the Archbishop of Canterbury.
- John "Lackland, King of England, Soft Sword" Plantagenet (1166-1216) is the 23rd great grandfather of Ron. Reign: 27 May 1199 to 19 Oct 1216 (16 years). John is considered to be “the worst English king”. He was cruel, petty, spiteful and "distastefule, even dangerous personality traits". His punitive taxes united all the elements of society, clerical and lay, against him, including the legendary Robin Hood. Pope Innocent III excommunicated him. In 1215, the barons compelled John to sign Magna Carta, the Great Charter, which reinstated the rights of all his subjects.
- Henry III "King of England, Lord of Ireland, Duke of Aquitaine" Plantagenet (1207-1272) is the 22nd great grandfather of Ron. Reign: 28 Oct 1216 to 16 Nov 1272 (56 years). The son of King John, Henry was only nine when he assumed the throne. Considered a weak man, he was dominated by churchmen and easily influenced by his wife’s French relations. Henry was the greatest of all patrons of medieval architecture and ordered the rebuilding of Westminster Abbey in the Gothic style.
- Edward I "Longshanks, King of England" Plantagenet (1239-1307) is the 21st great grandfather of Ron. Reign: 20 Nov 1272 to 7 Jul 1307 (34 years). Edward was the son of King Henry III. He formed the Model Parliament in 1295, bringing the knights, clergy and nobility, as well as the Lords and Commons together for the first time. He died on his way to fight Robert the Bruce "King of Scotland".
Magna Carta Illustrious Men
- Sir William "Earl of Pembroke" Marshall (1146-1219) is the 23rd great grandfather of Ron. He was an Anglo-Norman warrior and statesman, called the "greatest knight that ever lived" by Stephen Langton, Archbishop of Canterbury. He was one of 16 Illustrious Men, counselors to King John, who were listed in the preamble to the Magna Carta.
Magna Carta Surety Barons
- William "Lord of Belvoir" d'Aubigny is the 23rd great grandfather of Ron.
- Sir Hugh "5th Earl of Norfolk" le Bigod is the 23rd great grandfather of Ron.
- Henry "5th Earl of Hereford" de Bohun is the 24th great grandfather of Ron.
- Sir Gilbert "Earl of Gloucester and Hertford" de Clare is the 21st great grandfather of Ron.
- Robert "Lord of Dunmow Castle, Essexshire" FitzWalter is the 24th great grandfather of Ron.
- Sir William "Keeper of Dover Castle" de Huntingfield is the 24th great grandfather of Ron.
- Sir John "John of Chester, Earl of Lincoln, Constable of Chester" de Lacy Knt is the 21st great grandfather of Ron.
- William "Lord of Stanway Castle, Essex" de Lanvallay is the 25th great grandfather of Ron.
- Sir William "Baron of Thirsk" de Mowbray is the 21st great grandfather of Ron.
- Sir Saher (Saier) "1st Earl of Winchester" de Quincy is the 23rd great grandfather of Ron.
- Robert "Baron of Hamlake Manor" de Roos is the 21st great grandfather of Ron.
- Geoffrey "The Younger" de Say is the 24th great grandfather of Ron.
- Sir Robert "3rd Earl of Oxford" de Vere is the 24th great grandfather of Ron.
Notable Aunts, Uncles, and Cousins
Sgt John Morehead Scott (1839-1862) and Ron are first cousins four times removed, both being descendants of John Moorhead. John Scott was one of Andrew's Raiders that stole "The General" near Big Shanty, Georgia. He was hanged in Atlanta, and received the Medal of Honor posthumously. His family donated his medal to the Southern Museum in Kennesaw, Georgia, where it is on display along with "The General" locomotive.
Kings & Queens
- Elizabeth I "Queen of England" Tudor and Ron are second cousins 13 times removed, both being descendants of William Boleyn KB.
- Henry VIII "King of England" Tudor and Ron are 7th cousins 13 times removed], both being descendants of Robert de Holand.
- Henry VII "King of England" Tudor and Ron are 6th cousins 14 times removed, both being descendants of Robert de Holand.
- Charles VI "King of France" de Valois and Ron are fifth cousins 18 times removed, both being descendants of Henry III "King of England, Lord of Ireland, Duke of Aquitaine" Plantagenet.
- Richard I "Coeur de Lion (the Lionheart) King of England" Plantagenet (1157-1199) is Ron's 23rd great grand uncle, both being descendants of Henry III "King of England, Lord of Ireland, Duke of Aquitaine" Plantagenet (1207-1272).
- Edward II "King of England, Price of Wales" Plantagenet (1284-1327) is Ron's 20th great grand uncle, both being descendants of Edward I "Longshanks, King of England" Plantagenet (1239-1307).
Magna Carta Surety Barons
- John "Lord of Warkworth Castle, Northumberland" FitzRobert is Ron's 23rd great grand uncle, both being descendants of Robert Robert Fitzroger (Warkworth) Clavering.
- Sir William "Lord of Curry Mallet, Somersetshire" Malet and Ron are first cousins 25 times removed, both being descendants of Ralph (Picot) de Picot.
- President Rutherford Hayes and Ron are 8th cousins three times removed, both being descendants of Sylvester Baldwin.
- President Calvin Coolidge and Ron are 10th cousins once removed, both being descendants of Richard Gould.
- President Herbert Hoover and Ron are 10th cousins once removed, both being descendants of Richard Gould.
- President Richard Milhous Nixon and Ron are 13th cousins once removed, both being descendants of Robert Baldwin.
- President Gerald Ford and Ron are 10th cousins twice removed, both being descendants of Robert Welles Sr.
- President George Herbert Walker Bush and Ron are 11th cousins once removed, both being descendants of William Curtis.
British Prime Ministers
- Sir Winston Churchill and Ron are 8th cousins twice removed, both being descendants of John Curtis.
- John Albert Rowland (1791-1873), is a prominent figure in the early development of the San Gabriel Valley area of Los Angeles, and the namesake of Rowland Heights, California. John Albert Rowland and Ron are second cousins five times removed, both being descendants of James Rowland.
- Susan B Anthony and Ron are 9th cousins twice removed, both being descendants of William Curtis.
- Harriet Beecher Stowe and Ron are 7th cousins five times removed, both being descendants of Robert Welles Sr..
- "Texas Divorce Index, 1968-2010," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VYX1-88K : 12 December 2014), Ronald E Rowland and Cynthia E Rowland, 11 Apr 1980; from "Texas, Divorce Index, 1968-2011," database, Ancestry (http://www.ancestry.com : 2005); citing Travis, Texas, United States, certificate number 034710, Texas Department of State Health Services.
- "United States Public Records, 1970-2009," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KPT7-DHT : 22 May 2014), Ron E Rowland, Residence, Austin, Texas, United States; a third party aggregator of publicly available information.
More Genealogy Tools
Only the Trusted List can access the following:
- Ron's formal name
- full middle name (E.)
- e-mail address
- exact birthdate
- birth location
- images (1)
- private siblings' names
- private children's names (2)
- spouse's name and marriage information
For access to Ron Rowland's full information you must be on Ron's Trusted List. Please login.
See the Contact section of the Tree & Tools
Ron is a Wiki Genealogy Volunteer
following these tags:
- Hoping to keep profiles I am managing error-free
- Wife's maiden name
- Particularly as it relates to the Rowland One Name Study
- My Van Tassel line was very active in the settlement of New Netherland
- Coordinator of Rowland Name Study
- Interested in (member of) Rowland line that originally arrived in North America (~1750) in Chester County, PA, migrated to York County, PA (1760s), and were Ohio pioneers (Stark County 1814, Henry County 1834).
- Van Tassel is surname of my paternal great grandmother
Ron Rowland's DNA has been tested for genealogical purposes. It may be possible to confirm family relationships by comparing test results with Ron or other carriers of his ancestors' Y-chromosome or mitochondrial DNA
Y-chromosome DNA test-takers in his direct paternal line on WikiTree:
- Ron Rowland:
Family Tree DNA Y-DNA Test 500 markers, haplogroup R-BY105902, FTDNA kit #B112520
It is likely that these autosomal DNA test-takers will share DNA with Ron:
Have you taken a DNA test? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Ancestry DNA.
Login to request to the join the Trusted List so that you can edit.
- Private Messages:
Send a private message to Ron. (Best for comments to Ron that need to be private.)
- Public Comments:
Login to post.
(Best for messages to or about Ron that can be public. Limit 20 per day.)
On 15 Sep 2019 at 02:54 GMT Pip Sheppard wrote:
On 30 Jul 2019 at 19:28 GMT Deb (Lewis) Durham wrote:
On 29 Jul 2019 at 20:30 GMT Deb (Lewis) Durham wrote:
On 1 Jul 2019 at 18:44 GMT Pip Sheppard wrote:
On 7 Jun 2019 at 15:26 GMT Pip Sheppard wrote:
On 31 May 2019 at 16:22 GMT Jo Gill wrote:
On 16 May 2019 at 16:52 GMT Steven Mix wrote:
On 31 Mar 2019 at 11:54 GMT John Walker wrote:
On 17 Feb 2019 at 16:53 GMT Loretta (Leger) Corbin wrote:
On 16 Nov 2018 at 21:12 GMT Jan Fillingim wrote: