Abigail Rowley (Rowlee) was born in Connecticut in the winter of 1717; the daughter of Samuel and Elizabeth (Fuller) Rowley, she was a descendant of Mayflower passenger Edward Fuller and his wife (whose name is lost to history).
Abigail died in the fall of 1764; Samuel married for a third time in 1765.
She married -- as his second wife, (following the death of his first, Elizabeth (Curtis) Gilbert), Samuel Gilbert, III, in 1740. (3rd, s. of Samuel Gilbert, Jr. and Mercy Warner,) b. of record May 1, 1712 at Lebanon, Conn. He became Col. Samuel Gilbert, Esq. and d. Oct. 16, 1774 at Lyme, NH (g.s.) They had six children b. of record at Hebron:
• i. Thomas Gilbert, b. Sept. 15, 1743; m. Jan. 19, 1763 at Hebron, Lydia Lothrop, dau. of Benjamin,4 (Capt. Hope,3 Capt. Joseph,2 Rev. John,1) and Mercy Baker, dau. of Dea. John,4 (Fear Robinson (Samuel Baker),3 Isaac,2 Rev. John Robinson,1 pastor of the 1620 Mayflower pilgrims at Leiden, Holland). Six known children of the family.
• ii. Anne Gilbert, b. Sept. 19, 1745, d. young Apr. 10, 1748.
• iii. Cpt. John Gilbert, Jr. b. Feb. 12, 1749 d. Apr. 16, 1817 at Belchertown, Mass. (g.s.); m. Millicent Amelia Goodrich, dau. of Samuel,4 (Josiah,3 Col. David,2 Ens. William,1) and Elizabeth Whiting, b. Nov. 29, 1752 at Wethersfield, CT. She d. July 18, 1825 at Belchertown (g.s.)
• iv. Abigail Gilbert, b. Jan. 31, 1751/52; m. June 25, 1769 at Hebron as his 2nd of multiple wives, Rev. Samuel Peters. Unfortunately, she d. within three weeks of marriage on July 14, 1769.
• v. Hon. Silvester Gilbert, b. Oct. 20, 1755, d. Jan. 2, 1846; m. Oct. 25, 1774 at Hebron, Patience Barber, dau. of David Barber and Abigail Newcomb, b. Hebron Apr. 5, 1757. She d. May 14, 1838 (g.s.). Thirteen children of the family.
• vii. Gardiner Gilbert, b. Apr. 15, 1758; m. June 1778 at Hebron (Ch. Rec.), Anna Lothrop, dau. of Rev. Elijah Lothrop and Silence Leonard, b. at Hebron Sept. 14, 1760.
The transcribed records of the birthdate of Abigail Rowley show it as 13 February 1716, an Old Style date equating to 1717, New Style. This does not quite accord with part of the inscription on her gravestone, which shows her death on 23 October 1764 "in ye 49th Year of her Age" -- i.e., at the age of 48 plus some number of days or months. The transition to New Style dating having occurred by 1752, the calculation of "49th Year" is actually one year off; in October of 1764, she was 47 years of age, and in her 48th year.
Have you taken a DNA test? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Ancestry DNA.
Abigail is 16 degrees from Joseph Biden, 15 degrees from Justin Bieber, 26 degrees from Jack Dorsey, 14 degrees from Bill Gates, 26 degrees from Emmanuel Macron, 14 degrees from Elon Musk, 17 degrees from Michelle Obama, 27 degrees from JK Rowling, 13 degrees from Taylor Swift, 17 degrees from Donald Trump, 16 degrees from Kanye West and 20 degrees from Gina Meyers on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.