- Gerardus Rycken's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
Gerardus was born in 1740. Gerardus Ryker ... He passed away in 1781.
- Note: Gerardus Ryker was listed as a cordwainer at the time of his marriage in New York in 1762. He immigrated to Kentucky in 1780 from Berkeley Co., VA and was part of the "Low Dutch Colony" in Shelby and Henry Counties in Kentucky. He was killed by Indians in the Long Run Massacre, also known as Floyd's Defeat, September 15, 1781 near Eastwood in Jefferson County, Kentucky.  The Long Run massacre was a major incident in the series of battles in which early settlers in Kentucky fought Indians and their British allies on the western frontier during the Revolutionary War. Long Run is located near Eastwood in Jefferson County, Kentucky. In September 1781 Maj. Bland Ballard discovered Indian signs near Squire Boone's Painted Stone Station, near what is now Shelbyville. He warned the settlers there and at Beargrass Station to move to Lynn Station, which was a more secure area. For unknown reasons, Boone's and several other families delayed moving for two days. When they finally left the station on September 14, 1781, they were surrounded at Long Run Creek by a large party of Indians reinforced by British soldiers under the command of Capt. Alexander McKee. An estimated sixty people were killed by the Indians; only a handful, including Squire Boone, escaped. 
- Died September 15, 1781 in "Long Run Massacre", Eastwood, KY
- Died September 15, 1781 in Bullskin, Shelby, Kentucky, United States
- Painted Rock Station, the site of the original attack, was part of Jefferson County, Kentucky, when it was settled. The site of the massacre is just over the county line in Jefferson, while the station is now located in Shelby county. See sources below for details.
- ↑ From [UL:The Kentucky Encyclopedia:UL] edited by John E. Kleber (University Press of Kentucky, 1992): LONG RUN MASSACRE.
- ↑ See Lou Catherine Ciore, "Long Run Massacre, Register 10 (Jan. 1912): 75-6.
- ↑ The Kentucky Encyclopedia
- ↑ not sourced
- See also:
- Shelby County History, database online, (accessed 1 Jan 2015), Part II, Ch. 1, Boone's Station
- Eastwood Village Council, database online, (accessed 1 Jan 2015),
- The Long Run Massacre, database online, (accessed 1 Jan 2015),
- A Story of the Pioneers At Squire Boones Station, database online, (accessed 1 Jan 2015),
- The Order of the Indian Wars of the United States, database online, (accessed 1 Jan 2015), Ancestor Series, "The Hardships of John Van Cleave and Family", by McClernand B. Crawford
- Painted Rock Station, database online, (accessed 1 Jan 2015), US Gazetteer, KYHometownLocator
- This person was created on 14 September 2010 through the import of 124-DeCoursey.ged.
- This profile was created through the import of LaBach Family TreeApril28_2011.ged on 05 May 2011.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with Gerardus by comparing test results with other carriers of his Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA. However, there are no known yDNA or mtDNA test-takers in his direct paternal or maternal line. It is likely that these autosomal DNA test-takers will share DNA with Gerardus:
- Michael (Bissell) Bissell --Benefiel : 23andMe, GEDMatch M112651 + AncestryDNA, GEDMatch M396023, Ancestry member mgbissell
- Robert Benefiel : 23andMe
- Zachary Culp : AncestryDNA, GEDMatch A133606, Ancestry member sadehazie
- Christina (West) Marshall : Family Tree DNA Family Finder, GEDMatch T850576, FTDNA kit #516742
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Elizabeth x, Steven Mix, and Maryrose Scott. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On 21 Dec 2015 at 02:51 GMT Steven Mix wrote:
On 29 Nov 2014 at 23:07 GMT Catherine (Willhite) V wrote:
Gerardus is 17 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 11 degrees from Abraham Lincoln, 22 degrees from Ayn Rand, 19 degrees from Peter Roberts and 15 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.