- Sarah (Sampson) Bracewell's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
- Note: There is considerable disagreement among Bracewell researchers as to Sarah's maiden name. The 2 most frequently suggested names are Sampson and Valentine. I have not seen any definitive proof one way or the other. At this time, Sampson is the surname I feel has the most credibility.
- Sarah's will is dated March 20, 1733/34 and was recorded in Isle of Wight County, Virginia on May 26 1735. Her will mentions her son John, and his children (her grandchildren ) Mary, Benjamin, William and Sampson, as well as her daughter Jane.
- Date: 16 Jan 1651
- Place: Isle of Wight, Isle of Wight, Virginia, United States
- Date: 26 FEB 1734
- Place: Isle Wight, Virginia
- Husband: Richard Braswell
- Wife: Sarah Sampson
- Date: 16 JAN 1673
- Place: , Isle of Wight, Virginia
- Title: Ancestry Family Trees Publication: Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com. Original data: Family Tree files submitted by Ancestry members. *Title: U.S. and International Marriage Records, 1560-1900 Author: Yates Publishing Publication: Name: Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2004.
- Title: Family Data Collection - Individual Records Author: Edmund West, comp. Publication: Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2000.
- Title: Virginia Land, Marriage, and Probate Records, 1639-1850 Author: Ancestry.com Publication: Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2004.Original data - Chalkley, Lyman. Chronicles of the Scotch-Irish Settlement in Virginia, 1745-1800. Extracted from the Original Court Records of Augusta County. Note: Ancestry.com, Virginia Land, Marriage, and Probate Records, 1639-1850
- BIRTH-DEATH: "The Braswell Family" by I.B. Kiker and W. W. Braswell; page 1.1 to 1.11; chapter 1
- DEATH-SPOUSE-CHILDREN: "The Bracewell or BRASWELL Family" compiled by Hugh Buckner Johnston, published 1963, FHLC microfilm
- BIRTH-SPOUSE-MARRIAGE-CHILDREN: "Following the Braswells West" by Dr. Roy Bennett Braswell; on-line version by Joyce Ann Braswell, published Oct 1990
- BIRTH-DEATH-SPOUSE-PARENTAGE-SIBLINGS-CHILDREN: web site www.sallysfamilyplace .com
SARAH's will was made in Isle of Wight Co., VA, on 20 Mar 1733/34. She left the bulk of her estate to her grandson, JOHN BRASWELL, JR., "except one Negro man named LIMESTONE," whom she left to her daughter, JANE Her son, JOHN BRASWELL SR. was named as executor and caretaker until his son became of age (21). His son, BENJAMIN was to have the first mare colt born and a slave. She also names JOHN's other children in equal shares of the estate: MARY, WILLIAM and SAMPSON. She appointed her on JOHN and his son, JOHN, as executors. Witnesses were RICHARD BLOW JR., SAMUEL SMITH and SAMUEL WILLIS. The will was probated 26 May, 1735 (Isle of Wight Will Book 4, p. 64/65). An undocumented article in "Following the BRASWELLs in America 1600-1983," by Dr. R.B. BRASWELL identifies RICHARD's wife as SARAH SAMPSON and gives their wedding date as 16 Jan 1673. No source was given and "Southside Virginia Families," by JOHN BENNETT BODDIE doesn't identify her surname. If she was a SAMPSON, she might have been a daughter of JAMES SAMPSON and ELIZABETH BARCROFT of Isle of Wight Co., VA. He is the only man named SAMPSON in that area who was the correct age to be her father. ELIZABETH immigrated in 1647 with CHARLES BARCROFT who may have been her brother. Other SAMPSONs in the Isle of Wight Co., VA, area were ELIZABETH, who married THOMAS CLARK and ANN, who married EDWARD MOSELEY. EDWARD MOSELEY was very wealthy. He died in New Hanover Co., NC, and owned land in Edgecombe CO., NC.
Searching for someone else?
- Sarah (Sampson) Bent
- Sarah (Barlow) Sampson
- Sarah Sampson
- Sarah Emma (Peary) Sampson
- Sarah (Sampson) King
- Sarah (Sampson) Wetherell
- Sarah (Upton) Sampson
- Sarah Sampson
- Sarah (MacFarland) Sampson
- Susanah (Burgess) Bracewell
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with Sarah by comparing test results with other carriers of her mitochondrial DNA. However, there are no known mtDNA test-takers in her direct maternal line. It is likely that these autosomal DNA test-takers will share DNA with Sarah:
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Theresa Reynolds, Rodney Bowers, Chris Harter, Bob Carson, and K Clark. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On 24 Dec 2014 at 05:32 GMT Andrea Powell wrote:
Sarah is 18 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 25 degrees from Bob Dylan, 19 degrees from AJ Jacobs, 21 degrees from Michael Phelps and 19 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.