- Jonathan Sawtell's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
"Jonathan2 Sawtell (Richard1) was born 24 Aug. 1639 at Watertown. He was an original proprietor of Groton in 1661-2 with a five-acre grant and on 23 Nov. 1664 was chosen a fence viewer (Samuel A. Green, The Early Records of Groton, 1880, p. 11). On 3 July 1665 at Groton, he married Mary Tarbell, daughter of Thomas and Mary (Vital Records). She died after childbirth 25 April 1676 at Watertown (Vital Records). He was made freeman at Groton on 15 May 1672 (The Register 3:239). After destruction of Groton by the Indians, he fled with his neighbors back to Watertown. Two years later he returned to Groton and was chosen selectman 1688-90. He died there 6 Jul 1690. There is no evidence that he ever remarried."
"After Jonathan's death, his son Jonathan Jr. of Groton, ged 15, chose his "uncle" Abraham Holman to be his guardian (Bond, p. 932; Middlesex County Probate, No. 19962). The relationship of this "uncle" is unknown, but William and Winifred Holman of Boston, Mass., and Descendants, Mrs. John V. Johnson and Mrs. Stewart Allen, 1944, suggests that Abraham's wife was Susanna Tarbell sister of Jonathan Sawtell's wife. his four surviving daughters and their husbands deeded his Groton land on 8 Dec. 1698 to Jonas Prescott."
- ↑ Watertown Records Comprising the First and Second Books of Town Proceedings with the Land Grants and Possessions also the Proprietors' Book also the First Book and Supplement of Births Deaths and Marriage (Prepared for Publication by the Historical Society)(Watertown Mass Press of Fred G Barker 1894)(Free e-book)(Records are also available at ma-vitalrcords.org) p. 7
- ↑ Dale C. Kellogg and John B. Threlfall, "Richard Sawtell of Watertown, Mass.," in NEHGS Register, 126 (Jan 1972):3-6
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Jonathan's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Jillaine Smith, Randy Seaver, Jay Byrne, and Eleanor Gates. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.
Jonathan is 13 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 12 degrees from Abraham Lincoln, 21 degrees from Ayn Rand, 18 degrees from Peter Roberts and 17 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.