[private sister (1940s - unknown)]
[private son (1970s - unknown)],
[private daughter (1970s - unknown)],
Stephanie Smith and
[private son (1980s - unknown)]
Profile last modified 31 May 2020
| Created 11 Dec 2017 | Last significant change: 15 May 2020
This page has been accessed 3,478 times.
Neil grew up in Rozelle NSW, known as Balmain West until a new Post Office was built in 1892. It was an industrial area with the attendant pollution. Soot from the railway yards, and power stations, and smells from the various chemical works were particulary noticeable. Trams were still running via Harold Park and Forest Lodge into the city. A child could still ride a scooter down Victoria Road as long as you avoided getting stuck in the tram tracks, because there was very little traffic.
Neil began his schooling at Rozelle Central school in 1952 and in 1960 enrolled in the new Ibrox Park Boy's High. He began his working life in 1965 at Dunlop [Perdriau's] Drummoyne, and studied for a Chemistry Certificate at Sydney Technical College part time. Later he worked for Chemical Materials at Glebe, and retired in 2007 from Nuplex Inustries Ltd.
Recording the family history started about 1977. Cousin Nat Owles had already done a large amount of work on the Lovell and Gallard family trees. The research into my father's Smith's was prompted by a project Natalie did in 1997 on the Sherrif family. My work was based on absorbed childhood memories, but required the the purchase af many certificates before I discovered Transcriptions. Luckily the Smith names included spouse family names as well, which made tracking easier. Luck again was with me with the Patterson family tree, which I obtained from Patricia Hayward, also the Fyfe family from Sandra Rea and Sue Pollock. In 2009 my neighbour Fran suggested I investigate Trove and this lead me to the McCallum family with whom the Smith's had friendships and several marriages. It was Jean Little who suggested I investigate Wikitree. Peggy Lovell (nee Thompson) provide advice and a disc for the Small Family. Cousin Lionel Lovell gave me a disc containing his family tree using PAF5, which I then adopted and more recently  Rootsmagic7 has become my main software. A large number of other distant relatives have also contributed heaps, including Jeffrey Smith.
For Lyn's side her siblings, Barbara Nutz, Bryan Burdett, Narelle Ross and others have contributed generously.
- First-hand information. Entered by Neil Smith at registration.
More Genealogy Tools
Only the Trusted List can access the following:
- Neil's formal name
- full middle name (H.)
- e-mail address
- exact birthdate
- birth location
- images (6)
- private siblings' names
- private children's names (4)
- spouse's name and marriage information
For access to Neil Smith's full information you must be on Neil's Trusted List. Please login.
See the Contact section of the Tree & Tools
Neil is a Wiki Genealogy Volunteer
following these tags:
- My wife was the daughter, of Edwin Sherriff, the son of Harriet Day, who was the daughter of Richard Day, of Tottenham,London.
- My wife was the daughter, Colleen Merrett, the daughter of William Nathaniel (Dean) Merrett, who was the son of Martha Dean, who was the daughter of William Dean from Dublin, Ireland.
- My father Ronald Smith was the son of Ronald Smith, who was the son of Janet Fyfe (born in Cork), whose father William Fyfe was from Rutherglen, Lanarkshire, Scotland.
- My mother was the daughter of Amy Susannah Gallard, daughter of Edward Gallard from Southborough, Kent, England.
- My wife was the daughter, of Colleen Merrett, the daughter of Alice Hill, who was the daughter of William Hill, who was the son of William Hill from Bridgewater, Somerset.
- My mother was the daughter of George Alfred Alfred Lovell, son of George Lovell, of Cheddar, Somerset.
- My wife was the daughter, Colleen Merrett, the daughter of William Nathaniel (Dean) Merrett, who was the son of Thomas Cussen, who was the son of Samuel Jarvis Cussen from Kinsale Cork, Ireland.
- My father was the daughter of Alma Patterson, who was the daughter of Walter Patterson, who was the son of David Patterson from Armagh Ireland.
- My grandmother, Alma Patterson, was the daughter of Walter Patterson, who was the son of Thirza Rex from Great Driffield, Yorkshire, England.
- My wife was the daughter, of Edwin Sherriff, the son of David Sherriff, who was the son of Alexander Sherriff of Arbroath Scotland.
- I have Smiths on both my mother and father's families. My father Ronald Smith was the son of Ronald Smith, who was the son of William Smith from Old Cumnock Scotland. My mother's gandmother was Sarah Smith whose grandfather was William Smith from Warwickshire who came to Sydney as a convict.
Neil Smith's DNA has been tested for genealogical purposes. It may be possible to confirm family relationships by comparing test results with Neil or other carriers of his ancestors' Y-chromosome or mitochondrial DNA
It is likely that these autosomal DNA test-takers will share DNA with Neil:
Have you taken a DNA test? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Ancestry DNA.